Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Base Ganymede

I attempted a category 1 (blind) run, using PrBoom-Plus.

E1: Made it to E1M5, then died due to several bad decisions at the cyber fight. I did accidentally reach and complete the secret level though, heh.

E2: Died on E2M4, I am decidedly not good with berserk maps.

E3: Died on E3M2, this was just embarrassing :/

This was essentially the first time I played with PrBoom as I normally use GZDoom, and the mouse movement was quite choppy and different than I was used to. I tend to play with freelook too. I only read Seed's comment about using -longtics after I'd finished recording - I tested it out and it was quite the improvement. Maybe next time. This was fun! Really liked the wad too. Hopefully I do better next month.

dwironman_bgcomp_vyre.zip

wish me luck, im starting my stream! Lets hope I can survive this session this time, 

Edited by Fiendzy

of course I died on E1m8 I should have heeded your warning by having a practice run of it. but I didn't listen too well, Will attempt episode 2 tomorrow, and will do Episode 3 after that

@Alfonzo oversells the difficulty, at least in E1.  I handily survived through e1m3 with only one "Good At Doom" scare before being defeated by the monster known as "I am old and it is bedtime".

Completely blind / Cat 1.  I save at the start of e1m4 so maybe backup your "prboom-plus-savegame3.dsg" file before watching.

If I can, I'll come back to this later in the month.  And probably die 2 minutes into e1m4 :)

ironcap1.zip

In second attempt i survived all EP1 (secret level too). I liked difficulty, it's tough but really fair. Except that damned e1m8 - this bastard took a lot of retries and made me to say bad words :D, but hell, i made it. Now i will record blind demos for next episodes.

etrn00.png

With regard to what sound like excessively difficult secret levels, and maybe secret levels in general, how about having them count as part of the run if the player dies- say a player makes it halfway through e1m4 having completed m9, and another player makes it to near the end of e1m4, the player with the secret map under their belt should place higher than the player who 'got further' into the episode.

Another idea would be maybe to allow a separate demo for any secret maps that are super unfair for blind players, played blind, obviously, and from pistol start, which would potentially put the player on the back foot against someone who has risked their run playing the secret map continuously

1 minute ago, dt_ said:

With regard to what sound like excessively difficult secret levels, and maybe secret levels in general, how about having them count as part of the run if the player dies- say a player makes it halfway through e1m4 having completed m8, and another player makes it to near the end of e1m4, the player with the secret map under their belt should place higher than the player who 'got further' into the episode.

But wasn't this already the case?

As I understand it, the secret maps only count if the episode is survived, I could be wrong though

30 minutes ago, dt_ said:

As I understand it, the secret maps only count if the episode is survived, I could be wrong though

It was my understanding that secret maps counted toward your total number of levels if you survived them. This general summary seems to be borne out by past months' results:

E1M1, E1M2, E1M3, E1M9, die in E1M4 > E1M1, E1M2, E1M3, die in E1M4

E1M1, E1M2, E1M3, E1M9, die in E1M4 < E1M1, E1M2, E1M3, E1M4, die in E1M5

E1M1, E1M2, E1M3, die in E1M9 < E1M1, E1M2, E1M3, die in E1M4

1 hour ago, Capellan said:

@Alfonzo oversells the difficulty, at least in E1.  I handily survived through e1m3 with only one "Good At Doom" scare before being defeated by the monster known as "I am old and it is bedtime".

Completely blind / Cat 1.  I save at the start of e1m4 so maybe backup your "prboom-plus-savegame3.dsg" file before watching.

If I can, I'll come back to this later in the month.  And probably die 2 minutes into e1m4 :)

ironcap1.zip

Good luck coming back to it. I think this style of breaking up the playthrough should be allowed (and I've said this before) within reason (maybe no more than one break/episode). But will @Alfonzo allow it?

I've never played ironman, but I've always wanted to try, so this weekend I'll make my run!

23 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Good luck coming back to it. I think this style of breaking up the playthrough should be allowed (and I've said this before) within reason (maybe no more than one break/episode). But will @Alfonzo allow it?

Saves are already allowed, but "You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point."

So basically Alfonzo has to trust that if I upload a second demo starting from my save, that it's the first time I loaded that save.  Just like he has to trust that the demo I already uploaded was really my first attempt at maps1-3, and that I really am playing blind, etc.

Secret levels indeed do not count as "extra credit" until the player survives the entire challenge (or the episode, in "combo" format), and I'm comfortable with this method. I wouldn't be against perhaps providing some loose info on the secret level in some spoilered part of the OP so that players can make a decision whether to try for them or not, though.

The save discussion was had following the HexaDoken episode last year, circa D64D2. There was a one month moment where splitting up your run into multiple sessions was disallowed, but you've otherwise always had that luxury. Players are merely encouraged to try and sit through it in one go — never forced.

That said, I believe that producing a demo using a loaded save is restricted so that it only works with -cl9. Do I have this wrong, @Capellan?

Wonderful to see you joining in for this month, in any case!

32 minutes ago, Alfonzo said:

That said, I believe that producing a demo using a loaded save is restricted so that it only works with -cl9. Do I have this wrong, @Capellan?

That, I don't know about.  I'll do some research before attempting to resume.  Worst case, I could -warp to e1m4 and pistol start it to play on.  And thus die in 1 minute, instead of 2 :)

Yay, my very first Ironman attempt. Blind (category 1 I think) play and made it to E1M8. Damn, I should have prepared for E1M8.

demoE1.zip

Will play E2 and E3 later.

Heh, more and more people making it to E1M8, but I died on E1M5. Cool story that the secret levels don't count unless the whole episode is beaten, guess I played that for nothing. Why am I not surprised.

*gets depressed*

Am I not good enough?

But, BUT, I'm probably going to be the only one dying twice during the same episode. Not even death can stop me.

5 minutes ago, seed said:

*gets depressed*

I'm probably going to be the only one dying twice during the same episode.

To make u a bit happy, I tried playing E1M8 again after dying in my demo. It took me about 6-8 attempts to beat it. And even after figuring out, I cannot reliably beat it (I need luck/RNG to beat that).

Also I didn't even manage to find the secret level (but u managed to find it)

3 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

To make u a bit happy, I tried playing E1M8 again after dying in my demo. It took me about 6-8 attempts to beat it. And even after figuring out, I cannot reliably beat it (I need luck/RNG to beat that).

Also I didn't even manage to find the secret level (but u managed to find it)

It was a joke m8, I'm not actually sad, just slightly disappointed, but it's to be expected since it looks like I hit a wall when it comes to skill a while ago. It's all I'm capable of.

I should change my name to Bad Gamer :D.

12 hours ago, Alfonzo said:

That said, I believe that producing a demo using a loaded save is restricted so that it only works with -cl9.

I believe this is restricted to the PRBoom complevels, which are, I believe, 12 to 17 and -1. I've never gotten demos to work properly loading from a save in cl9.

In this case, because we're using -cl3, this doesn't really matter because it doesn't work for it.

22 hours ago, antares031 said:

I believe that -complevel 3 automatically enables -shorttics (correct me if I'm wrong). That being said, I only use compatibility level commands, and don't use -longtics, whenever I record demos.

It is the -record parameter that defaults to shorttics, the parameter itself -shorttics just emulates the way the game behaves when recording by default, which makes it useless to append to any -record <demo> line. Longtics, on the other hand, I don't believe works in cl2, 3, 4, or 9, because the vanilla engine and Boom itself didn't support it (This was discussed in the month Fomalhaut was run), and, of course, the complevels are there to ensure compatibility with the parent engine.

Also prepare for a run from me maybe later today. I'm pretty sure I've played this wad before, so I'm going under C2.

2 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I don't believe works in cl2, 3, 4, or 9

Not correct.

Well, -cl 3 at least, I know that for a fact since that's how I recorded my demo in GlBoom+ this month. There are some that don't support -longtics while recording, but idk which.

Very weird deaths that could have been prevented with better play on my part.

E1: E1M5, found the secret map with relative ease and finished it pretty quickly so I am hoping it doesn't affect my placement too hard, death is otherwise pretty normal though not fully deserved

E2: E2M4, I was so close to the end and decided to GAD

E3: E3M3, I was so close to the end and decided to GAD

Category is a technical 2 because I remember the opening room's looks from some ZDaemon Server three to four years ago. Everything else is completely blind.

dwironman_naza_apr19.zip

51 minutes ago, NaZa said:

Category is a technical 2 because I remember the opening room's looks from some ZDaemon Server three to four years ago.

I suppose there may be a small chance for a less knowledgeable player to trip up over the armor bonus, faceplant the SLADWALL and lose a solitary second to the all-knowing NaZa, who saw the opening room in TNS album somewhere and now has the gift of the third eye.

"can remember enough details to have an advantage over blind players."

Category 1. The opening room is a dogleg with three zombiemen in it. This is the sort of case where you can just make a judgement call.

I'll probably make an adjustment to the wording, here, because I believe this was covered in a discussion not long after the categories were introduced.

28 minutes ago, Alfonzo said:

Category 1. The opening room is a dogleg with three zombiemen in it. This is the sort of case where you can just make a judgement call.

Thanks for the clarification, I wanted to make sure even though I was fairly confident it was Cat 1. It might have seemed silly, yes, but I don't want a repetition of October where I misunderstood the category rules. 

To be fair I think I've wobbled on a few issues over the course of the League's history and probably haven't articulated myself as well as I could have during those shifts. That, or I've articulated myself too much and bored everyone into looking the other way! I can see how it would be confusing or annoying.

Anyway, I've changed the wording in the rule set to help highlight the player's ultimate say in this narrow border between the two categories. Hopefully it won't embolden some already forward-leaning participant into make ludicrous claims about the worth of their knowledge.

I have played episode 2. I died at the start of e2m4 in a hilarious way. I am normally much better at berserk than this but I died in a way that would put @seed's performance to shame image.png.41e0422e224a70db690b342b20e24a44.png. Enjoy

demoE2.zip

Episode 3 follows. Died at the end of e3m3, again in a hilarious way. I managed to kill all monsters in this map, but the quest to search for the exit led to my demise  image.png.41e0422e224a70db690b342b20e24a44.png. Enjoy.

All 3 demos in one zip file. ReaperAA_bgcomp.zip

Details:

Episode 1: Died at E1M8 (7 maps completed)

Episode 2: Died at E2M4 (3 maps completed)

Episode 3: Died at E3M3 (2 maps completed)

Total maps survived = 12

Edit: This is all category 1 run

Edited by ReaperAA

20 hours ago, Alfonzo said:

The wiki tells me that demos always play back from the P1 start position, even if you -record with -loadgame.

So, if I managed to completely avoid moving on e1m4 before I saved - not even the tiniest touch of the mouse - then a new demo starting from the save game "should" work.  If.

Now I didn't intentionally move at the start of the map, but I did almost certainly had my hand on the mouse, so it's likely that I either need to -warp and pistol start e1m4 to continue, or actually work out how to video capture Doom so I can play from my save.  I'm not sure either of these outcomes is especially likely :)

Dead in e1m8, lost most will to play after wasting 30 mins looking for the secret exit in e1m3 and in the end it was in a wall I am pretty sure I checked. Cat2 cause... I recorded a e1m8 max some years ago, rest was blind.

bgironanc-e1m8.zip

Edited by Ancalagon

Usually to load a save you just run your .bat file again and it will start you wherever you last saved.. If you don't use .bat files then im not sure :p