Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tor1zo

Thy folder consumed...

Simple, i need a folder with the basic DooM editing software (GZDoom Builder 2, Slade, etc)
i dont know what programs to use when editing a wad, so anyone gentle enough to share theirs with me it would be a pleasure.
(GIF not related, like, at all)

1498175099_output_WvdpZN.gif

Posted (edited)

You got the biggest ones right. The most common map editors are GzDoom Builder (fancy modern features) and Doom Builder X (more conservative). SLADE 3 is the de facto standard for editing WADs themselves. This isn't necessary, but you may also want to pick up a modern node builder like ZenNode or ZokumBSP, which can make the game a bit faster if you run large maps through it.

Edited by Spie812

5 minutes ago, Spie812 said:

You got the biggest ones right. The most common map editors are GzDoom Builder (fancy modern features) and Doom Builder X (more conservative). SLADE 3 is the de facto standard for editing WADs themselves. This isn't necessary, but you may also want to pick up a modern node builder like ZokumBSP, which can make the game a bit faster if you run large maps through it.

Sorry for being ignorant, but what is a "node builder"?

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, DUBIDKFA said:

what is a "node builder"?

It gets complicated, but the nodes basically divide the map into which parts of a map get drawn at any given time. A high quality node builder will cause fewer things that need to be drawn at once, which improves performance (think about rendering the entire map versus only what you can see). It's not entirely necessary nowadays since modern Doom ports are so fast, but a high quality node builder can add a small performance boost to a very large map.

Note that all editors come with a node builder, or even several, built-in. You don't need to have one. I was just throwing out alternatives that some people choose to use.

Edited by Spie812