Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rince-wind

Monster spriting tutorials

All of the following advice is based on the assumption you're just starting out.

There's thousands of ways to do this kind of stuff, and no single tutorial is going to take you from newbie to a completed sprite set without you already understanding a lot about art as a whole. To begin with, simply develop skills as an artist in both traditional and digital formats. Draw concept sketches, study pixel art, practice 3d modelling, learn anatomy, understand perspective, etc.

When you have a good understanding of the fundamentals in art, it would be a good time to start to learn animation techniques - the theory of it as well as the technical aspects. 

In terms of sprites, monster / character sprites are probably the hardest to do (at least, to do a good job with them) and also require the most patience and experience. Each monster is upwards of 60 frames, sometimes more!

If you're new to the world of spriting, start basic and work your way up, perhaps begin with pickup sprites like medkits and weapons, then turn your attention to more intricate stuff like a new weapon graphic, projectiles and explosion effects, etc.

Good luck!

Wow I didn't expect such a detailed response, so thanks a lot!

I guess Phobos' old tutorials about spriting are a good start for a newbie?

Perhaps! I haven't seen them myself. I used to do pixel art back in the day, a website called pixeljoint was quite a good place for resources, but the community there can be a little elitist at times, heh.

4 minutes ago, Akenore said:

Did you just...

supply tutorials...

to yourself?

I think the link was in reply to Dragonfly saying that he hadn't seen those tutorials.

It was exactly that. Instead of jumping to try and make a joke at someone's expense, read the content and understand the context. :P

On 4/5/2019 at 11:40 AM, Dragonfly said:

It was exactly that. Instead of jumping to try and make a joke at someone's expense, read the content and understand the context. :P

I did read the context, haha. My apologies.

You know, despite me not being an expert on the subject, I feel I could add to the conversation. Perhaps I can come up with a comprehensive tutorial thread of the things I've learned about spriting over time, since I've learned a lot.

But by practising and watching tutorials / timelapses like these you can lift your work ever so slightly to that level.

On 4/9/2019 at 12:28 PM, Rince-wind said:

I checked him out and his work is WAY beyond my level, I'm just here messing around in MSPaint.

MS Paint for me never stops being useful due to it's simplicity, but it also helps to have a program like Photoshop or Gimp on the side to do the bulk of the work. I can tell you this: Burn tool, Dodge tool, Magic wand and the Blur tool will be your greatest friends. I reckon that if you just learn the basics of using these 4 tools(which really are all pretty straight forward), and the bare basics of messing with layers, you're already well on your way to be an at least decent spriter. And of course, I would recommend starting with frankenspriting at first before doing something 100% from scratch. But in the end, like all things, it's all about practice!

I was wondering, would people be interested in a first-step tutorial, that I add a little more to day by day, or should I only release a tutorial that is 100% finished?

Whatever works for you, I‘ll gobble up everything. As long as it‘s a continuing tutorial and not something that get‘s cancelled after two parts. 

Awesome!

Hopefully my tutorial will be helpful. I'll see if I can post the first part today.