Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Milkman

Birthday Bash MegaWAD - 25th Bday RELEASE

Check this out man: 

Ketmar’s tool has helped me big time with getting wads accepted on idgames!

6 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Check this out man: 

Ketmar’s tool has helped me big time with getting wads accepted on idgames!

sweet jeez thank you for this. I know about SLADE's IWAD comparison capability but it was still getting rejected :(. I just downloaded WADcheck and am figuiring it out now

Also, I hope you check out Bday Bash, and if you already have that you're enjoying it!

On 4/13/2019 at 5:11 AM, Milkman said:

Also, I hope you check out Bday Bash, and if you already have that you're enjoying it!

Only a couple maps in so far but really enjoying it. Map 03 is a lot of fun, great job with the design.

Looking in the wad I see you've added all the stock music to this, including doom 1 music. Odd decision. Anyway, I'll give this a whirl later today and update this.

On 4/15/2019 at 12:07 AM, Beezle said:

Only a couple maps in so far but really enjoying it. Map 03 is a lot of fun, great job with the design.

Awesome to hear! Map03 is my attempt at a doom platformer, but trying to avoid the trial and error aspect of usual platformers

On 4/15/2019 at 6:51 AM, Bryan T said:

Looking in the wad I see you've added all the stock music to this, including doom 1 music. Odd decision. Anyway, I'll give this a whirl later today and update this.

Yeah I added the songs after testing some source ports that had issues with the dehacked patch replacing the music. I wanted to throw back to both Doom 1 and 2 soundtracks as they're both awesome, and really help establish the E1M1 mood 2/3rds into the WAD.

Any other feedback from people so far? I'd love to hear people's thoughts, good and bad!

Couldn't help but notice this. In the first level, if you hit the switch at the beginning and immediately fall backward, there's a missing texture.

Spoiler

Untitled.jpg.8ac605214902d2a61d6f43e923535d28.jpg

1 hour ago, NerdyButLazy said:

Couldn't help but notice this. In the first level, if you hit the switch at the beginning and immediately fall backward, there's a missing texture.

Reveal hidden contents

Untitled.jpg.8ac605214902d2a61d6f43e923535d28.jpg

good to know! fix that up v. soon

only a few maps in, but this is awesome so far. I love the way you use raising/lowering floors to transform the levels, it's really fantastic. I imagine you would get more folks trying this out if you added some screenshots to tbe OP

4 maps in, quite fun! Interesting use of revealing spaces and verticality.

EDIT:

@Milkman Found an untextured platform wall at map 05, using PrBoom+

Screenshot_2019-06-28-01-33-41-509_com.opentouchgaming.deltatouch.png

Edited by DANZA : Bugs

On 6/24/2019 at 11:02 AM, Bryan T said:

Finally got around to trying this. 

Spoiler

My goodness. Thanks for playing through, So weird/cool to see! Crazy powerful weapons mod, you really 'extirpated' the monsters in this one :)

On 6/25/2019 at 9:43 AM, Count651 said:

Gonna give this a go. No screenshots to go by but the premise sounds good.

Thanks Count, just updated the main post with some pretty pics!

On 6/27/2019 at 1:32 AM, Tango said:

only a few maps in, but this is awesome so far. I love the way you use raising/lowering floors to transform the levels, it's really fantastic. I imagine you would get more folks trying this out if you added some screenshots to tbe OP

Glad my tag efforts weren't lost haha. They were a real headache when it came to testing across multiple source ports. I've added some shots to the main post, but if there's key moments people liked I'm happy to grab some snaps of scenes people were 'wooed' by.

On 6/27/2019 at 7:08 AM, DANZA said:

4 maps in, quite fun! Interesting use of revealing spaces and verticality.

EDIT:

@Milkman Found an untextured platform wall at map 05, using PrBoom+

Screenshot_2019-06-28-01-33-41-509_com.opentouchgaming.deltatouch.png

good to know DANZA, I'll look into that

Glad to see you made it to final release, Milkman. I was away from the community for awhile, and when I came back one of the first things I did was see if there was a final version, haha.

Although I'm biased as a playtester, I do wholly recommend this pack. Its got a great ability to take standard DOOM tropes and expectations you have in the game, and turn them on their head.

@DANZA again thanks for the missing texture report, I just updated the Mediafire link and MAP05 should be fixed now :)

@eharper256 Thanks for the kind words! I appreciate the shoutout. I too have had a break after trying to get this out, really took it out of me trying to get this finished.

For what it's worth, I'll be looking to fix up the Doom 1/2 resource issue later this year to try and get it on the offical Doomworld in time for DOOM's 26th. I will make this a birthday celebration, one way or another...

On 6/24/2019 at 2:02 AM, Bryan T said:

Finally got around to trying this. 

Shit looks awsome....

Got a question, in the text file it's specified that the wad won't run properly in Crispy Doom, however PRBoom (assuming prb+) is mentioned among the source ports used for testing. Which compatibility was used to test? (default, complevel 2, or 9 which is boom, etc), and say it was boom, can all the maps be completed at the moment in that source port or should I stick with zdoom?

Thanks!

On 7/19/2019 at 5:21 AM, galileo31dos01 said:

Got a question, in the text file it's specified that the wad won't run properly in Crispy Doom, however PRBoom (assuming prb+) is mentioned among the source ports used for testing. Which compatibility was used to test? (default, complevel 2, or 9 which is boom, etc), and say it was boom, can all the maps be completed at the moment in that source port or should I stick with zdoom?

Thanks!

Good questions, so Birthday Bash was designed to be as close to the restictions of the original Doom, the only exception being the removal of sector limits. There are no Boom/ZDoom fancy scripts or features, so this should run on any prBoom compatibility. I tested on deafult settings and all seemed fine there, so I assume it's fine for the more specific settings.

Testing was primarity done on Zdoom, just because that's what I use to play Doom WADS, with rough testing on Crispy Doom, PrBoom and Retro Doom.

15 hours ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

OP:  You can add the d1gfxd2.wad to this which adds the doom 1 textures to anyone using the doom 2 IWAD.  No need to try to shoehorn both IWADs to play this.  

I tried this, but it got rejected by idgames upload whenever I tried to upload it :(

19 hours ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

OP:  You can add the d1gfxd2.wad to this which adds the doom 1 textures to anyone using the doom 2 IWAD.  No need to try to shoehorn both IWADs to play this.  

You, sir, are an absolute star :) Thank you!

So I'm happy to see some recent interest in Birthday Bash, which leads me to some exciting news - for Doom's 30th (happy birthday Doom!!!), I have made an update to Birthday bash!! The last release had 25 maps, so it seems fitting to re-relase it with 30 maps (and some errors fixed)!! WAD file can be found here:

New maps (for those who have played previously are MAP 21, MAP 24 (a 1024 challenge), MAP25, MAP27, MAP 28 and MAP 30, with some tweak to MAP29

Played and tested primarily on ZDoom, but should also work on Crispy doom.

Happy 30 birthday Doom!

Edited by Milkman : Updating Links