Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jalapen0

Classic Doom on Amazon Kindle Fire tablets with Xbox Gamepad

Apologies to anyone who posted this in the past...the intent was to share something awesome.

Yes you read it right...Doom on your Kindle Fire tablets...even the $50.00 7 inch Fire tablet!  And even with your bluetooth gamepad such as the Xbox One gamepad.

How could this work?  Keep in mind that Fire OS, the operating system on the Fire tablet, is a fork of Android.  Since it's possible to be done on Android devices (especially the original Kindle Fire TV), doing this on the Kindle is possible as well.

Here is what I did in this case:

1. Install the Google Play store on the Fire tablet.

Good article: https://www.lifewire.com/install-google-play-kindle-fire-4570988

In that article, there will be four Google related things you can download from a website (without rooting...yay!).  Be sure to follow the instructions especially the first step.  They need to be installed step by step.  The article has links to the APKs.  They are:

A. Google Account Manager APK

B. Google Services Framework APK

C. Google Play Services APK

D. Google Play Store APK

2. Purchase Delta Touch from the Google Play Storehttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.opentouchgaming.deltatouch

There is Freedoom on both the Amazon App store and Google Play store.  I went with Delta Play from the Google Play store (didn't see it on the Amazon App store) since it had a good tutorial on how to get it all done.  That is an option you could do for free and you wouldn't need to install the Google Play Store on your Kindle but you would be missing out on the fun of doing so.

3. Install the Doom WAD files.

You would need to hook your Kindle Fire tablet to your computer that has the Doom WAD files installed on the computer.  I used a Windows 10 laptop and I believe it would be possible with Mac and Linux.

If your computer can recognize the tablet as a media device which would make it possible to transfer the WAD files, you are good to go and be sure to follow the instructions on Delta Touch (or Freedoom for that matter).  I had no problems with my 2017 Kindle Fire HD 10 tablet doing this method.  On the other hand, I had an older 2015 Kindle Fire 7 tablet which wouldn't be recognized even with an USB cable connected to the computer.  There had to be a way right?

There are data file apps for Kindle/Android that you could take advantage of.  Dropbox is certainly one option and I used File Transfer in this case:

File Transfer on Google: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.delitestudio.filetransferfree

File Transfer on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Delite-Studio-S-r-l-File-Transfer/dp/B00EYOJQNK/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=File+Transfer+app&qid=1554734002&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Be sure to include Apple's Bonjour on your Windows 10 laptop if you use that app.  Windows Defender blocked my attempts at first and I overrode the system in this case.

I think I could have used Dropbox in this case and I'll list the link below:

Dropbox on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Dropbox-Inc/dp/B006LR0XLM/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Dropbox&qid=1554734025&s=gateway&sr=8-3

I managed to get the Doom, Doom 2, Plutonia, and TNT WADs on the Kindle Fire 7 tablet.  The only problem with the touch controls is that my hands cramped up on the Kindle Fire 7.  I'm going to get a 8 inch Kindle Fire Tablet very soon...maybe that will feel more comfortable but it wouldn't fit in my jeans' pocket...bummer!

4. Xbox Gamepad

I knew that the Xbox gamepad would work with the Fire tablets since the Fire TV had support for the Xbox gamepad.  What you need to do is turn on your bluetooth on your Fire tablet and connect the Xbox gamepad or any bluetooth enabled gamepad.  I chose the Xbox gamepad since it's made for FPS games such as Doom.  You most likely will have to do a little mapping work on the Delta Touch app.  What I basically did was have mappings similar to what is on Zandronum (fork of GZDoom which has Xbox gamepad support).  In my case, I simply remapped the map shortcut key to the dpad section by pressing UP.  Other buttons that might require remapping are opening doors, jumping, and crouching...that's pretty much it for me.

Performance

The Doom games worked well on the Kindle Fire HD 10 and even the Kindle Fire 7.  The Fire HD 10 has a quad core ARM cpu speed of 1.8 GHz while the Fire 7's quad core ARM cpu is 1.3 Ghz.  This would be good news for even cheap Android phones as well if you are willing to deal with touch controls if the Xbox gamepad won't work with that cheap phone.

Conclusion

It was very exciting for me that I could install and play Classic Doom on Fire (and Android) tablets...even the cheap ones.  The good news is that with some Android phones, Xbox gamepad support is there.  I am able to play this game on my Moto Z Force 2 phone with Android Oreo (8.1) which enables bluetooth mouse support.  With Android 9 along with Chrome OS' Update 69, that gamepad should work in that case.

If you have a clip on your Xbox gamepad that can hold your phone on it, you can use it as well.

Amazon link for phone holding clip on Xbox gamepad: https://www.amazon.com/Customized-Controller-Compatible-Steelseries-Controllers/dp/B07DLY5PB4/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=&linkCode=w00&linkId=&creativeASIN=B07DLY5PB4

Further Thoughts

Given that I now have those four Classic Doom WADs on my phone, I'm thinking that I can simply get onto Doomworld or any other site that hosts those free WADs and download fan made WADs on the Kindle Fire tablet or Android phone without having to hook them up to the computer.

I also want to point out that having the Google Play services on your Kindle Fire tablet would bring your tablet closer to being a laptop (haven't tried a bluetooth mouse on the Kindle tablets yet).  For me personally, if I can get SimCity Unlimited 3000 running on the Kindle Fire, I will retire the big fat Dell Inspirion 14 N4110 laptop since it's a pain to carry around even in a backpack.

Happy gaming!

I would suggest this app for archive management, so that you can download and unpack the user made PWADs, and even your IWADs if you upload them for your strict personal use to Dropbox or whatever. While there is a pro version which adds certain functions, the free one is fine and, anyway, lacks of any form of advertisements.

So, can a Xbox One gamepad act as a standard HID Bluetooth gamepad? Interesting. I use a PS3 gamepad, but attached yes or yes via a cable, because I am not willing to root the device just to pair it wirelessly.

33 minutes ago, Diabolución said:

I would suggest this app for archive management, so that you can download and unpack the user made PWADs, and even your IWADs if you upload them for your strict personal use to Dropbox or whatever. While there is a pro version which adds certain functions, the free one is fine and, anyway, lacks of any form of advertisements.

So, can a Xbox One gamepad act as a standard HID Bluetooth gamepad? Interesting. I use a PS3 gamepad, but attached yes or yes via a cable, because I am not willing to root the device just to pair it wirelessly.

I'm going to try downloading such WADs via my Android phone and see how I handle the files...just find the WAD and put it in the correct folder.  Then I'll work with the Fire Tablet file system which is similar to Android's.  With Delta Touch, it is OpenTouch/Delta/Doom.WAD in the storage file system as an example using the original Doom WAD file.

I'm not sure if the PS3 gamepad will work with Fire Tablets/TV/TV sticks but since it's a bluetooth gamepad, it should work.  I have a PS3 and a PS4 Pro so I can check into those things for the Fire devices at some point.

With the Xbox gamepad, you do not have to root the Fire devices in order for them to work with the Xbox gamepad (I'm referring to the Xbox One S gamepad in this case).  My non-Samsung Android Oreo phone works natively with Xbox gamepads too.

The Matricom bluetooth gamepads are similar to the PS3/PS4 gamepads in design and should work with Android/Fire/Windows/Mac(?)/Linux devices.  I'm looking into getting the newer 8bitdo SNES gamepad which should have similar button and analog stick layouts along with the two shoulder buttons on each side.  Should work with my Nintendo Switch as well.