Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wyodu

Need help setup and startup doom (1993) on a old laptop

i need help! 

i have an old  compaq evo n160 (click on it  for specs), after i do the setup for doom and click enter on "save parameters and launch doom", the screen become black and doom doesnt start, is it my pc too slow? or did I download an incorrect doom installation file?

That computer is easily fast enough to run Doom.

What operating system are you using on the machine? If it's Win9x it should work fine, but if you're using Windows NT, 2000, XP or later then you're better off installing a source port rather than using the DOS version.

6 minutes ago, Wyodu said:

i have Windows XP, which source port should i install?

It depends on what and how you will play.

Chocolate Doom can provide the more faithful recreation of classic Doom.

Prboom-Plus can provide higher resolution than original Doom, higher framerate, new features with Boom engine, still can support demo recording/playing.

GZDoom is much like all-in-one box and good if you plan to use mods. Though it have a tons of overwhelmed settings and miss some features like demo recording/playing. Also later versions is requiring more powerful hardware.

Some source ports using their exclusive features like 3DGE and Eternity-Engine.

i want to play the classic doom (full game), i downloaded chocolate doom. But i need all the shareware episode since i want to enjoy it at the fullest

edit: ok nope, chocolate doom doesn't work on my old laptop, it say "Error creating renderer for screen windows: couldn't find matching render driver"

Edited by Wyodu

It's definitely fast enough just like everyone else said. I have two older Dell Pentium III laptops (Latitude C600) that are almost the same specs as that one, except mine have 1ghz processors and i do remember playing some Doom on at least one of them. They both have Win XP on them too and that's what i used them with but one of the stickers on the bottom of one of 'em says that it originally came with Win 98 SE (or was it 2000?). I might be remembering incorrectly as they are currently stored away.

I used to play Doom on one of 'em but i can't remember the source port i used. Possibly a really old version of ZDoom but i would probably recommend Chocolate Doom or possibly Crispy Doom. PrBoom-Plus might work as well (the SDL 1 version though).

EDIT: Since you mentioned that the newest version of Chocolate Doom didn't work it's possible that you might need an older SDL 1 version. I think the last Crispy Doom SDL 1 version was 4.3 but for Chocolate Doom i'm not sure what it was.

So:

- Chocolate Doom (w/e the last SDL 1 version would be, possibly 2.3.0 like Diabolucion mentioned above)

- Crispy Doom 4.3 (FYI this is a direct download link) (unless the newest version does work then use that)

- PrBoom-Plus 2.5.1.4

- ZDoom 2.8.1

- ZDoom LE 2.8.3a (a legacy edition of ZDoom; this might run better tbh)

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys, now i can play on my old laptop too (yeah "too" because i have already a fixed pc more powerful where i play all dooms, but my old laptop was my only laptop) :D