Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BladeWolf

About Doom 2016's replay value?

So I have just got Doom via the Xbox Game Pass and now I'm planning to buy it out when it is on sale. So now that I have got the game, is there any added replay value to it? I can't play the multiplayer at times as my Gold would be running out, but either way, does the Singleplayer campaign and Snapmaps have a fair amount of replay value in them, as I'll only be keeping a few couple games with me as I enter college next year and I'm taking Doom as well. Guys, Please help me out on this.

There are achievements, challenges for each weapon to unlock more weapon upgrades, secrets to look for in each level, hidden rune challenges, and there is Arcade mode, but I'm not sure if it requires Gold subscription or not since I only played the game on PC.

3 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

but I'm not sure if it requires Gold subscription or not since I only played the game on PC.

Gold is only ever needed for online multiplayer for all games on Xbox One.

Ah right, I kind of thought it requires it because it has a sort of an online leaderboard. Also forgot to mention you'll be able to replay levels from the menu after you visit them once in case you missed stuff there, including hidden classic levels.

multiplayer has bots, and if you'd like to replay the campaign and arcade mode there is that.

Yeah, I kind of wish it did have replay value. I've tried replaying it a few times, but honestly it just gets boring. You become a god by the end of the game, so unless you want to challenge yourself with limitations like not upgrading weapons, there's not that much there. It's fun the first time, but it gets old. The snapmaps I've played haven't been bad, but there's only so much people can do when using a limited editor with fixed structures and limits. They end up feeling like dumbed down versions of the actual singleplayer campaign.

Maybe there's a way to make it fun, but honestly I never found it. I've tried replaying at least four times, and I get about half-way through and realize I'm just not enjoying it. Especially after waiting for what's now a 90GB download. And I've only played multi-player during the beta, so I don't know how it's advanced from there. But from what I've read, it's not that much. It's straightforward deathmatch where sometimes someone becomes a demon.

The basic game play loop is fun enough that replaying levels is fun, especially once you start unlocking all the weapons (and the jump booster). Definately worth it to find secrets you may have missed too. Arcade mode is fun as well. 

What's not so great is Snap Map. Between the absolutely atrocious UI for finding maps or narrowing down your search, to the fact that the vast majority of stuff on the list is just not very good, I can't say I'd recommend it. There is SOME good stuff here and there, but even in that group, a lot of it seems like works in progress that end up getting abandoned anyway. 

(With that said, if anyone here could recommend some solid snapmaps, I'd love to check them out!).

The problem is that I found all the secrets on my first playthrough, and got all the useful upgrades. So if I played through it again, the only option would be to handicap myself by not getting upgrades, or get crap upgrades. So I would just be creating an artificial difficulty. Why would I want the three round burst for the shotgun instead of explosive shells? Why would I want the scope for the light machine gun when I could fire missiles with it? Once you get the perk that gives you infinite ammo if you're over x amount of armor, you essentially have an infinite homing rocket launcher.

replay value: 10/10

liked the game to the point that I decided to get every single achievement listed before I had to remove the game due to storage space.

About as replayable if the original Doom never had an active modding scene. Meaning you'd finish it once or maybe twice an year and that's it.

I'm still playing Doom on the PS4 after I played it on the PC and I got both for under $20.00.  I'm getting the Nintendo Switch version tomorrow.  Call me crazy all you want but I love Doom like many would say here.

Still a lot of stuff to do to really complete the game just like the classic Doom games.  Like others said, there's Arcade and Snapmaps.

I find replay value can vary from person to person. I mean, I've played and beaten Ocarina of Time about 50 times and only twice did I give myself actual challenges to shake things up (100% to celebrate the 15th anniversary and Three Heart Challenge just to see if I could do it.) But I know that's just me and others would not be able to do it like I have.

For me replayability comes from the activities I can do after I have completed the game, one of the reasons that keep me coming back to it, It's why I enjoy playing looter shooters and also moddable games like Classic Doom.

>paying for xbox gold

You guys spend money for that thing?

I don't want to brag but i can't resist, so with as little bragging as possible, just get yourself a fucking pc

21 minutes ago, ([zen3001]) said:

just get yourself a fucking pc

Sure, give me 1000-2000$ to buy some fancy, high-end gaming hardware and we have a deal fam.

9 minutes ago, seed said:

Sure, give me 1000-2000$ to buy some fancy, high-end gaming hardware and we have a deal fam.

500$ is all you need to play pretty much every thing and you won't have to pay just to play online games.

to the op again, if you're looking for a game to be stuck with through your whole college life again I recommend getting a pc and playing arround with gzdoom that's I've been doing for years now.

Or you could get into planetside 2, recently downloaded that and it's quite addicting and I think it's for consoles too but you'll probably need that gold membership again...

4 hours ago, ([zen3001]) said:

500$ is all you need to play pretty much every thing and you won't have to pay just to play online games.

Now i haven't looked into PC's that much as of lately but i do know that if you need everything that $500 isn't that much money tbh. I wouldn't skimp on a processor as usually you can't upgrade those (aka you need to buy a whole new mobo when the newer ones come out). Also a decent amount of RAM, a good GPU, a sufficient powersupply and a case + monitor if you need one. It would actually cost more for me as i'd need a new keyboard as i really want a mechanical one and those aren't exactly cheap.

About Doom 2016 i'm not sure. I recently bought it for $15 on Humblebundle but haven't felt well enough to play it so i really have no say on it. I'm sure i'll enjoy it at least a few times through though and it does seem like it has some replayability with the arcade mode.

I also didn't know that the multi-player had bots so that's kinda neat.

After beating D2016 on UV and then on Nightmare, I haven't found the campaign itself to be very replayable beyond that, personally. I've tried going back and playing through it again, but I get roughly 50-60% of the way through and lose interest. The first half of the game is definitely more replayable than the latter half, and I think it's due in part to - primarily - two things: (1) You're not as ridiculously overpowered yet, and (2) some of the earlier levels were genuinely non-linear (The Foundry level being a prime example, and hands down my favorite map). If you have patience, and a high degree of skill, attempting to beat the campaign on Ultra-Nightmare could, I'm sure, be a huge source of replayability. However, my general lack of skill just made this too frustrating for me.

==============

If you enjoy mastering your skills, and attempting to conquer your own scores on leaderboards to see just how high you can get those numbers, Arcade Mode is a well executed game mode in my opinion, with plenty of replay value. It takes the slow pace of the campaign (which I didn't even realize was there until I played Arcade Mode), and then gives you a damn good reason to be an overpowered demon-crushing beast. After playing through each level, gaining some terribly pitiful scores, and realizing exactly what Arcade Mode was, I cranked the difficulty to UN and went on a binge for a few months. It became a process of setting my own goals and achievements, where at first it was "I want to get a Slayer Ranking on every level". Which then became, "I want all of my level scores to be in the top 1000". And then, "in the top 500". And then, "in the top 200". You get the idea. At the time, my best score was on Advanced Research Complex, sitting at 49th in the world (this has since been pushed higher by other players, sadly). But, if this is your sort of thing, Arcade Mode can be a huge reservoir of entertainment.

==============

SnapMap is... ugh. I'm not going to reiterate what's been said a thousand times already about SnapMap, but I will say: yes, there is replay value with SnapMap - but with one major caveat. You have to be willing to really spend time with it, learn, and be creative. To a large degree, I think SnapMap is kind of underrated, not because of it's limitations (of which there are plenty, and some egregious ones), but because it is deceptively complex in strange and small ways, which can allow for some really interesting content. Personally, I found the greatest source of replay value in SnapMap was in creating co-op maps for me and some of my Steam friends to play together. It's absolutely perfect for making endless co-op experiences that can be challenging, fun, and unconventional (and can even be quite replayable themselves). Like I said, if you're willing to take what's there and think creatively, you can make some pretty fun stuff.

One of the co-op maps I made called Muhbutu: Part One (MAP ID: KN6L5QMD), is something that has given one of my friends and I hours of entertainment. It's pretty straight-forward, but extremely challenging.

It's designed for 2-3 players, and plays as a linear campaign-esque experience with a series of difficult rooms, scenarios, and boss fights. One of the features I had a lot of fun creating, which offers an interesting twist of strategy to the gameplay, are the 3 player classes you get to choose from before entering the main part of the map. There can only be one of each class, and depending on which one you choose is what weapons/upgrades you'll have across the map. The 3 classes are:

Hunter

Heavy Assault Rifle (zoom mod)

Super Shotgun

Plasma Rifle (stun mod)

Health Dispenser

+25% Movement Speed

+100% Ammo Capacity

Marauder

Heavy Assault Rifle (missile mod)

Super Shotgun

Gauss Canon (charged mod)

Siphon Grenades

+35% Damage

+100% Armor

Grenadier

Combat Shotgun

Chaingun (gatling mod)

Rocket Launcher

Frag Grenades

+200% Health

+200% Armor

My friend and I had an absolute blast attempting to beat this map. The incapacitate/revive mechanic is available, however, each player has only 1 life, so if you both go down, you're restarting the entire map. It's incredibly unforgiving, and required a surprising amount of strategy throughout, but it was insanely rewarding when we finally beat it! We go back to it every now and then, just to see if we can beat it again, but, we've only beaten it once.

Point I'm trying to make is, SnapMap can offer a ton of replay value if you can forgive its sins, and try to utilize the strengths it does have.

==============

As for the multiplayer, I never played this too much. I had a friend who used to play it all the time (he's never even played the campaign), and the feeling I got from listening to him over the years is that, while the multiplayer is fine for a little while, has beautiful maps, and the guns are generally fun to use (obviously), it's just brought down on every level by a sheer lack of inspiration and creativity, to the point of being (at the worst) a hot mess, and (at the best) a mediocre arena shooter that gets boring fast.

==============

TL;DR

Does DOOM 2016 have replay value? Yes, but it's a case of, you get back what you put into it. The more passionately you approach any aspect of the game, be it Arcade Mode, SnapMap, or the campaign, the more you'll find to keep coming back to. If you approach the game at arms length, and just sort of passively skim the surface for some quick fun, there are probably better games to occupy yourself with in college.

All of that said, the campaign is 100% worth playing through, and I thought the Nightmare difficulty was where the campaign was at its absolute best.  

Edited by RonnieJamesDiner

I am actually replaying the game because my brother installed it again, and i am just not enjoying it very much, i am at the foundry level and already dont feel like continue playing.

The game is very, very repetitive, which i guess is what happens when the battles are designed as just arenas and nothing else, the tone is nothing like the original Doom, is more like a mix of the comic book and Brutal, all the challenges within missions, suit and weapons upgrades (and all of that to move and shoot as you should right from the start) feel like the developers stretching the gameplay in an artificial way, the platforming is not fun at all, the aesthetic of enemies and levels is very sterile and just meh overall, and the level design itself is bleh, i would say that if you finish the game discovering everything in each level then it has no replay value at all.

Is an ok game, i think it benefited from being slightly more old school than everything that we were getting at the time which felt like a total revolution in gameplay and level design.

On 7/26/2019 at 11:36 PM, LadyVader1138 said:

I just find that it is so damn fun that I can keep going back to it.

This!

People complain about the combat loop and their complaints are well justified, but I enjoy it very much.  It's great for a pure burst of fun for the times I get to play it.  I beat it on Nightmare and I thought that I wasn't going to touch it again, but I started up a playthrough on Ultra Nightmare and got even more replay value out of it.  I love playing the game on Ultra Nightmare and I'm not deterred by dying over and over early in the game.  I've now beat the game twice on Ultra Nightmare, with each playthrough averaging 5.5-6 hours and I have so much fun with it. 

On 8/9/2019 at 8:41 PM, D88M3R said:

I am actually replaying the game because my brother installed it again, and i am just not enjoying it very much, i am at the foundry level and already dont feel like continue playing.

Yep, I think it depends on how much you enjoy the game, If you like it enough chances are you will find no problem replaying the same levels over and over 

I couldn't replay it without getting bored by how repetitive the levels became so I tried doing side activities and optional challenges to change things up. I mean they're there to incentivize replaying levels.

I got bored replaying this, and I already completed it to my satisfaction. I'm in two minds whether to take it off my system.

On 8/10/2019 at 7:37 PM, tempdecal.wad said:

Yep, I think it depends on how much you enjoy the game, If you like it enough chances are you will find no problem replaying the same levels over and over 

I couldn't replay it without getting bored by how repetitive the levels became so I tried doing side activities and optional challenges to change things up. I mean they're there to incentivize replaying levels.

Well, that is not up to me, is to how enjoyable the game is, if it was more fun to play i would not be complaining, i am at currently at Kadingir Sanctum and it truly feels like a chore to keep playing, i dont know if i am gonna finish it, and stuff like the challenges within missions or the challenges when you have Runes equiped, or the challenges within the weapons feel like they stop the game dead on its tracks, is not fun to pause a game all the time to look what do i have to do to complete some random missions to get the weapons to be decent.

I hope, but i doubt it, that in Eternal they focus more on level design instead of just arena after arena while having weak weapons and slow movement.

14 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

I got bored replaying this, and I already completed it to my satisfaction. I'm in two minds whether to take it off my system.

I hear you, maybe the game has not aged well, maybe when it released we were starving for a break out from the "narrow hallway shooter that is mostly set pieces with quick time events but is more cutscenes than gameplay" that it made us believe the game was better than it actually is, i mean i get bored playing a DOOM game, it should be like a shot of adrenaline for the senses, and i am biased to love anything Doom related, but in D16 the overall game is just kinda boring.

I hope there's going to be more variety in terms of level design, that's my biggest concern for Eternal, If it's going to be just like Doom 2016 where every fight is basically a forced arena battle then it's going to be a no from me. when level designers can't think of interesting ways to make their levels challenging or longer they resort to forcing you to clear rooms before you continue to artificially increase the length of the levels. it was confirmed that the arenas aren't gone in Eternal in an interview with Marty IIRC, seems like they're trying to add more variety with the platforming segments but I doubt that's going to be enough. we'll see...

I often wonder what the argument really is for "Replay Value". Is the replay value of a game that much different than watching a movie you really like over and over again as I'm sure most of us have. 

One of my favourite movies ever is 'GoodFellas' . I must have watched it over 100 times easy , why? It's never different than the last time I saw it , but I still watch it again. Why is it a different case with video games?

I've been through numerous games time and time again over the years because I ENJOYED the journey it took me on so much that I wanted to do it again , just like movies and TV shows. 

Am I making sense? Maybe this is just how I see things I dunno. 

The difference here is that I find myself doing the exact same thing over and over it starts getting predictable and tedious. there are games that do a good job at hiding that but Doom 2016 definitely didn't feel like one of them.

Edited by tempdecal.wad

5 hours ago, tempdecal.wad said:

If it's going to be just like Doom 2016 where every fight is basically a forced arena battle then it's going to be a no from me. when level designers can't think of interesting ways to make their levels challenging or longer they resort to forcing you to clear rooms before you continue to artificially increase the length of the levels. it was confirmed that the arenas aren't gone in Eternal in an interview with Marty IIRC, seems like they're trying to add more variety with the platforming segments but I doubt that's going to be enough. we'll see...

I agree, I HATED the way that Doom 2016 repeatedly forced me into a room and basically said "get rid of all the monsters before we let you out", it was repetitive and restrictive, and no doubt easy to program. What baffles me is when people say that Doom 2016 "brought Doom back to its action gameplay roots after the divisive Doom 3" - no it didn't, because the exact same type of gameplay that was in Doom 1 and 2 was in Doom 3 as well. As I recall, Doom 3 didn't stick you in an area and lock you in until the "demonic presence" was "eliminated". No, Doom 3 was pure freedom of movement like the earlier games, and the only restrictions were less demons at once (because of the polygonal rather than sprite nature of them that took up system resources) and the reloading mechanic, which I agree is infuriating when I go to shoot an Imp with my shotgun and I end up reloading it instead! :)

From what I've seen of Doom Eternal, it looks like the gameplay is becoming more complicated and convoluted, which might suit some, but will probably require a big learning curve. But if the arenas remain, I'm not happy about it. As for more platforming, I hate that idea, because from memory, the part of Doom 2016 I hated most was having to climb all the way up the Argent Tower, all those damn jumping puzzles. Not to mention those small platforms in Hell, too!

I expect a lot of people here are going to be pretty upset with Doom Eternal.

It's also funny to see how many people are now praising Doom 3 after years and years of people hating on it. 

On 8/16/2019 at 4:51 PM, Foebane72 said:

I agree, I HATED the way that Doom 2016 repeatedly forced me into a room and basically said "get rid of all the monsters before we let you out", it was repetitive and restrictive, and no doubt easy to program. What baffles me is when people say that Doom 2016 "brought Doom back to its action gameplay roots after the divisive Doom 3" - no it didn't, because the exact same type of gameplay that was in Doom 1 and 2 was in Doom 3 as well. As I recall, Doom 3 didn't stick you in an area and lock you in until the "demonic presence" was "eliminated". No, Doom 3 was pure freedom of movement like the earlier games, and the only restrictions were less demons at once (because of the polygonal rather than sprite nature of them that took up system resources) and the reloading mechanic, which I agree is infuriating when I go to shoot an Imp with my shotgun and I end up reloading it instead! :)

From what I've seen of Doom Eternal, it looks like the gameplay is becoming more complicated and convoluted, which might suit some, but will probably require a big learning curve. But if the arenas remain, I'm not happy about it. As for more platforming, I hate that idea, because from memory, the part of Doom 2016 I hated most was having to climb all the way up the Argent Tower, all those damn jumping puzzles. Not to mention those small platforms in Hell, too!

Yeah, is a contradiction on the game design philosophy, is just like those moments the game has like "Look how rebellious we are, we know you hate unskippable cutscenes so we made the actual protagonist discard them, because we know that you just want to play the game. Oh, and here is some unskippable cutscenes and unskippable moments of characters talking to you while you are trying to play the game, lol".

I mean, the game is just small arena or big arena, but always a basically circle shaped arena with lots of platforming and you have to keep jumping everywhere all the time like freaking Mario or die (and you can even accidentally jump out of the map and die and have to do the thing all over again, AAA game design ladies and gentlemen), the original Doom 1 and 2 had A LOT of more varied scenarios not only in term of fights but levels, atmosphere, etc.

There are some other issues i have, small but irritant, like trying to glory kill a demon but instead wasting the chainsaw ammo because of the odd way is implemented and because the glory kill button is right next to the chainsaw button, how slow the protagonist is, how stupid is to have more than one weapon mod and the fact that there are weapon mods at all, etc. But i dont want to make a list so i will just drop it.

17 hours ago, StainlessSteel said:

I expect a lot of people here are going to be pretty upset with Doom Eternal.

It's also funny to see how many people are now praising Doom 3 after years and years of people hating on it. 

I can only speak for myself, but my expectations are already on check, i am not pessimist but not optimist either, i expect a fun game to play once and which has nothing to do with Doom beyond some superficial stuff.
Being upset at this point when we know exactly what we are gonna get does not make much sense to me, though it would be nice to get a more old school experience. Luckily there are lots of retro style fps coming out now that do the job.

Edited by D88M3R