Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BladeWolf

About Doom 2016's replay value?

There will be more arenas, its part of the gameplay loop of the current series.  There is even a secret you find called the Slayer Key, one per level, which you use to unlock a giant Arena battle, which I guess is going to replace the Rune Trials.  Doom 2016's combat was limited to arena fights to contain the player and the enemies in one place.  The engine only allowed 12 or so enemies spawned at once, so the game designers and level designers had to work with that.  It's repetitive no doubt and it's the games most glaring weakness, but if you genuinely enjoy the combat, than the combat loop is fun.  I find the combat fun, so I was never turned off by the arena battles.

They built the IdTech 7 engine so they could have more enemies 'existing' at once in Doom Eternal, which opens up for a lot of possibilities of new open level design and bigger combat arenas.  There are videos out there of the player running through the world of the City level, fighting enemies outside of enclosed combat arenas and moving freely throughout the environment, so my guess is that we will get a strong mix of both combat arenas and open level design.  Unfortunately the April Demo build that has been showcased and playable at E3 and Quakecon was not a good show of this as it was all arena based combat with more platforming puzzles as well.  There were instances of non arena combat, but for a short demo, it was just a few instances between the arenas.

I am excited for the game, but there will be people here that will probably hate it because of the combat loop and that's ok, as you said @D88M3R, there are plenty of awesome retro games that give us the old school 90s fps style and gameplay we love.

On 8/17/2019 at 8:28 PM, StainlessSteel said:

There will be more arenas, its part of the gameplay loop of the current series.  There is even a secret you find called the Slayer Key, one per level, which you use to unlock a giant Arena battle, which I guess is going to replace the Rune Trials.  Doom 2016's combat was limited to arena fights to contain the player and the enemies in one place.  The engine only allowed 12 or so enemies spawned at once, so the game designers and level designers had to work with that.  It's repetitive no doubt and it's the games most glaring weakness, but if you genuinely enjoy the combat, than the combat loop is fun.  I find the combat fun, so I was never turned off by the arena battles.

They built the IdTech 7 engine so they could have more enemies 'existing' at once in Doom Eternal, which opens up for a lot of possibilities of new open level design and bigger combat arenas.  There are videos out there of the player running through the world of the City level, fighting enemies outside of enclosed combat arenas and moving freely throughout the environment, so my guess is that we will get a strong mix of both combat arenas and open level design.  Unfortunately the April Demo build that has been showcased and playable at E3 and Quakecon was not a good show of this as it was all arena based combat with more platforming puzzles as well.  There were instances of non arena combat, but for a short demo, it was just a few instances between the arenas.

I am excited for the game, but there will be people here that will probably hate it because of the combat loop and that's ok, as you said @D88M3R, there are plenty of awesome retro games that give us the old school 90s fps style and gameplay we love.

Sounds too arcade for me, even more than Doom 2016, i think i am gonna pass or i am gonna wait whatever time necessary until it has as low of a price possible. And the combat is repetitive as hell and not even challenging, that is why bores me, otherwise i could forgive the arena aspect.

Anyway, i would love if they focused more this time on level design with exploration and combat working as one instead of just arena after arena, we will see, i am sure the game will be good though.

I'm very thankful for the Mission Select option. I go back and replay a chapter quite regularly. And you can change the difficulty in the options menu without restarting your game so you can have a lot of fun going back and getting better and faster at the game.

Personally I've never needed things like achievements, side quests and other incentives for replay value, in games like Doom I always just like to go back and play levels. With Doom 1993 I regularly do a play through of one of the three chapters again. It does look like Doom 2016 has a lot of secrets to find as well as things like Arcade Mode (which I still haven't tried out for some reason), but even without all those things it's great to go back to especially thanks to the mission select feature.

Ya know, I think more games need that. It sucks that with a lot of games once you've finished you either start over from the beginning or don't get to replay anything. I love to select a chapter/scene and go through it gain, possibly getting faster and more skilled, or just for a fun replay.

I can't replay them without doing side missions, whenever I try to I feel like I'm just doing the same thing all over again and that's discouraging, so having a side mission and being rewarded for doing it makes it worth going through the levels again. even if it's just a minor boost like increased glory kill speed.

I never really understood people's need for extra replay incentives. Like, you buy a movie on Blu-Ray or DVD and you usually rewatch it. Why not replay games, especially replaying specific parts (like you might rewatch your favourite episodes in a TV box set more often than the others)? I mean I'm assuming we're all on this forum because we play the DOOM series, which has a relatively small number of entries for a video game franchise, again and again.

It depends on how much you end up enjoying the game honestly, I've definitely played some games that made me want to replay them without thinking just because I enjoyed them so much first time around so I can see where you're coming from.