Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BladeWolf

About Doom 2016's replay value?

So I have just got Doom via the Xbox Game Pass and now I'm planning to buy it out when it is on sale. So now that I have got the game, is there any added replay value to it? I can't play the multiplayer at times as my Gold would be running out, but either way, does the Singleplayer campaign and Snapmaps have a fair amount of replay value in them, as I'll only be keeping a few couple games with me as I enter college next year and I'm taking Doom as well. Guys, Please help me out on this.

There are achievements, challenges for each weapon to unlock more weapon upgrades, secrets to look for in each level, hidden rune challenges, and there is Arcade mode, but I'm not sure if it requires Gold subscription or not since I only played the game on PC.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

but I'm not sure if it requires Gold subscription or not since I only played the game on PC.

Gold is only ever needed for online multiplayer for all games on Xbox One.

Ah right, I kind of thought it requires it because it has a sort of an online leaderboard. Also forgot to mention you'll be able to replay levels from the menu after you visit them once in case you missed stuff there, including hidden classic levels.

multiplayer has bots, and if you'd like to replay the campaign and arcade mode there is that.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I kind of wish it did have replay value. I've tried replaying it a few times, but honestly it just gets boring. You become a god by the end of the game, so unless you want to challenge yourself with limitations like not upgrading weapons, there's not that much there. It's fun the first time, but it gets old. The snapmaps I've played haven't been bad, but there's only so much people can do when using a limited editor with fixed structures and limits. They end up feeling like dumbed down versions of the actual singleplayer campaign.

Maybe there's a way to make it fun, but honestly I never found it. I've tried replaying at least four times, and I get about half-way through and realize I'm just not enjoying it. Especially after waiting for what's now a 90GB download. And I've only played multi-player during the beta, so I don't know how it's advanced from there. But from what I've read, it's not that much. It's straightforward deathmatch where sometimes someone becomes a demon.

The basic game play loop is fun enough that replaying levels is fun, especially once you start unlocking all the weapons (and the jump booster). Definately worth it to find secrets you may have missed too. Arcade mode is fun as well. 

What's not so great is Snap Map. Between the absolutely atrocious UI for finding maps or narrowing down your search, to the fact that the vast majority of stuff on the list is just not very good, I can't say I'd recommend it. There is SOME good stuff here and there, but even in that group, a lot of it seems like works in progress that end up getting abandoned anyway. 

(With that said, if anyone here could recommend some solid snapmaps, I'd love to check them out!).

The problem is that I found all the secrets on my first playthrough, and got all the useful upgrades. So if I played through it again, the only option would be to handicap myself by not getting upgrades, or get crap upgrades. So I would just be creating an artificial difficulty. Why would I want the three round burst for the shotgun instead of explosive shells? Why would I want the scope for the light machine gun when I could fire missiles with it? Once you get the perk that gives you infinite ammo if you're over x amount of armor, you essentially have an infinite homing rocket launcher.

replay value: 10/10

liked the game to the point that I decided to get every single achievement listed before I had to remove the game due to storage space.

About as replayable if the original Doom never had an active modding scene. Meaning you'd finish it once or maybe twice an year and that's it.

I'm still playing Doom on the PS4 after I played it on the PC and I got both for under $20.00.  I'm getting the Nintendo Switch version tomorrow.  Call me crazy all you want but I love Doom like many would say here.

Still a lot of stuff to do to really complete the game just like the classic Doom games.  Like others said, there's Arcade and Snapmaps.

I find replay value can vary from person to person. I mean, I've played and beaten Ocarina of Time about 50 times and only twice did I give myself actual challenges to shake things up (100% to celebrate the 15th anniversary and Three Heart Challenge just to see if I could do it.) But I know that's just me and others would not be able to do it like I have.

For me replayability comes from the activities I can do after I have completed the game, one of the reasons that keep me coming back to it, It's why I enjoy playing looter shooters and also moddable games like Classic Doom.

>paying for xbox gold

You guys spend money for that thing?

I don't want to brag but i can't resist, so with as little bragging as possible, just get yourself a fucking pc

21 minutes ago, ([zen3001]) said:

just get yourself a fucking pc

Sure, give me 1000-2000$ to buy some fancy, high-end gaming hardware and we have a deal fam.

9 minutes ago, seed said:

Sure, give me 1000-2000$ to buy some fancy, high-end gaming hardware and we have a deal fam.

500$ is all you need to play pretty much every thing and you won't have to pay just to play online games.

to the op again, if you're looking for a game to be stuck with through your whole college life again I recommend getting a pc and playing arround with gzdoom that's I've been doing for years now.

Or you could get into planetside 2, recently downloaded that and it's quite addicting and I think it's for consoles too but you'll probably need that gold membership again...

4 hours ago, ([zen3001]) said:

500$ is all you need to play pretty much every thing and you won't have to pay just to play online games.

Now i haven't looked into PC's that much as of lately but i do know that if you need everything that $500 isn't that much money tbh. I wouldn't skimp on a processor as usually you can't upgrade those (aka you need to buy a whole new mobo when the newer ones come out). Also a decent amount of RAM, a good GPU, a sufficient powersupply and a case + monitor if you need one. It would actually cost more for me as i'd need a new keyboard as i really want a mechanical one and those aren't exactly cheap.

About Doom 2016 i'm not sure. I recently bought it for $15 on Humblebundle but haven't felt well enough to play it so i really have no say on it. I'm sure i'll enjoy it at least a few times through though and it does seem like it has some replayability with the arcade mode.

I also didn't know that the multi-player had bots so that's kinda neat.