Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Wikileaks co-founder Julian Assange arrested.

The funny thing is that if he had been sent to Swedish prison for this story (not even a given since he had to be tried first after all) he would have spent less time there than he did stuck in his room in the embassy. Basically he was in a prison of his own making.

For a man who was literally carried off kicking and screaming he has that calm thumbs up when he's in the vehicle, which is hilarious. I'm a little surprised he looks like an old coot that would be a crackpot no one would believe. Then again he did just get into a scuffle with guards, so he's probably not looking as kept and credible as he would usually.

I care more when leaks put soldiers at risk of their locations.

7 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Man, fuck this guy! I prefer to be completely and utterly ignorant of all the shady, unethical backroom dealing our government does, thank you very much!

Impossible with the Trump administration. You'd need someone who'd want to keep secrets, not just spout off how nobody will remember George Washington because he didn't name his estate after himself.

Even though Trump himself is in a capital called Washington, D.C.

And there is a state named Washington.

And he is on two of the most common pieces of US Currency.

24 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Impossible with the Trump administration. You'd need someone who'd want to keep secrets, not just spout off how nobody will remember George Washington because he didn't name his estate after himself.

Even though Trump himself is in a capital called Washington, D.C.

And there is a state named Washington.

And he is on two of the most common pieces of US Currency.

"I question if George Washington ever existed and he's not like Zeus or Iron Man. If George were real, I'd remember him," Donald Trump

That man is Doomed, he may suffer lots of pain but be portrayed as a oddball with ridiculous comments pushed by the media. This is just a prediction.

I don't know if I like what he did but revealling questionable secrets of governments is not necessarily a bad thing unless it causes chaos. It's possible his group could release worse.

3 hours ago, Gez said:

The funny thing is that if he had been sent to Swedish prison for this story (not even a given since he had to be tried first after all) he would have spent less time there than he did stuck in his room in the embassy. Basically he was in a prison of his own making.

Not sure I blame him. Knowing how many people must want him dead, the embassy must have seemed more like a bomb shelter to him.

Why are some people happy about this? Aren't you happy that he exposed US soldiers gleefuly shooting at civilians or corruption at the highest level?

This is fucked. As a member of the Anti-Imperialist Left, I saw it coming a long ways off thanks to our diligent reporters, but that doesn't make it any less fucked.

For the record, since it was brought up, there has never been any proof that Wikileaks put the lives of soldiers in danger. Tulsi Gabbard, the woman I'm backing for President, addresses that issue in the short video below. I will also link to an article by Matt Taibbi, immediately above the video, because it does a good job explaining what this is all about and why it has nothing to do with Russiagate, in case anyone thought that was the issue.

I could put up even more videos and articles, but I won't. I'll simply say that no less a personage than Daniel Ellsberg, of Pentagon Papers fame, has already spoken of what a disaster this is for First Amendment rights and journalism in general. 

Anyhow, on to Tulsi and Matt.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/assange-arrest-charges-taibbi-821107/

The data is out there on the web (about 60 GBs worth), so there's no real point in arresting him right now because what the people (or groups of people) who have said said data have pushed it out as soon as they learned of his arrest.

I am kind of bummed that he was arrested. I think the government keeps too much secrecy where our taxes actually go and there's too much corruption that is required to win elections in my opinion. I do admit that I have become kinded jaded in my older age, but it just feels like a more honest world is a better world.

20 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

Why are some people happy about this? Aren't you happy that he exposed US soldiers gleefuly shooting at civilians or corruption at the highest level?

Agreed. I am disgusted by such people. While I don't know his real motive (whether he did it for humanity or for publicity), him revealing the atrocities committed by the US government and corrupt deeds done by leaders of many countries was a good thing as it opened the eyes of the public.

43 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Agreed. I am disgusted by such people. While I don't know his real motive (whether he did it for humanity or for publicity), him revealing the atrocities committed by the US government and corrupt deeds done by leaders of many countries was a good thing as it opened the eyes of the public.

It's probably because Hillary lost, which is a pretty pathetic reason.

Look at it from the other side. While the US government and media condemns him as being a spy, the US government and media labels other whistleblowers from other countries as journalists and heroes. And when these other countries go after their own whistleblowers suddenly these other countries become labeled as dictatorships. 

Edited by rodster