Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andwan0

NewDoom website/community

While I never personally used the NewDoom site for anything, it is a shame that it, along with so many other websites dedicated to Doom, appears to have gone under.

It's kind of a long story but near the end Phoebus (admin) decided he wanted donations to keep things running. Some people helped with that but it wasn't enough. I don't know if he was having money issues or what was going on. I never thought about that till later. My brain is a bit murky about the chain of events that happened during the last year or so. One day he did some software upgrades that added different features like blog posts and stuff. Then without warning he set it up so there was a yearly fee to use the site. Existing members got the first year free, I think. Anyways that's when the exodus started and people left and went to other forums including here. Some other members had their own forum so some went there to hang out, but I think that place is gone now too. They were pissed off he never gave any warning and didn't ask anybody on the forum what they thought about it all. I know some said they would have liked to have had a chance to help come up with a better plan or at least be able to talk about it. Some people lashed out in posts and got banned. It was very ugly. For awhile I recall that the registration deal for joining was too hard to get through for new members and that was messed up for ages. In the final days the forum was very dead with only a few people posting along with the moderators. I don't even remember when I stopped doing the news on there. One day he asked me if I would post the last article on the main page. Then the site was gone and years later it's just a memory. I often wonder where many of the members went to. Oh well, life goes on.

Edited by Doom_Dude

Oh yeah, those megawads. Sparky started the first NDCP and I wasn't even planning on doing such a project but when he decided to not do it anymore, it fell to me or something. That was a learning experience for sure. Last year I was doing some stuff to it, to get it more bug fixed and souped up, but too many things going on. Thing is finding everybody who worked on it, is a job for another day. haha.

The domain now redirects to a Chinese parked page. Sad days, it used to redirect to a Facebook page called "Raven Games" before the domain went kaput.

Oh the days when I used to be on the forums there..

The ironic thing was (IIRC) NewDoom was set up due to the original Doom 3 announcement, but by the time that game came out NewDoom was primarily used for classic Doom content and most of the Doom 3 content ended up at Doom3World.org (also sadly defunct). I quite liked it as a website though.

Yeah, it's been a long time since Newdoom went defunct. I honestly forgot it existed until I saw this post; I've always used Doomworld for my doom news. I almost want to say the zdoom forums used to be hosted on Newdoom, and that was the only reason I went there. But again, it's been a decade at least.

I remember zdoom on the notgod domain. Anyway, people talked about Phoebus being very paranoid about users on his forum joining other Doom communities, stories of banning users for this and just banning users for seemingly no reason. My first account on there was in awaiting approval status for a long time and then it just got banned. I did eventually get an account approved, but the forum wasn't so active by then. Eventually my second account either got banned or dropped due to inactivity, and that was that. I vaguely recall having a couple noteworthy discussions with users and in threads.

12 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

Oh yeah, those megawads. Sparky started the first NDCP and I wasn't even planning on doing such a project but when he decided to not do it anymore, it fell to me or something. That was a learning experience for sure. Last year I was doing some stuff to it, to get it more bug fixed and souped up, but too many things going on. Thing is finding everybody who worked on it, is a job for another day. haha.

Oh my, I never thought my old name would come up again. I'm so glad you remember me Doom_Dude, it's been ages since the NDCP. I'm sorry it ended up being dumped on your shoulders. I don't quite remember why it went that way but I was a young teen then and you know how it is with kids, our attention spans are short. I suspect it didn't help that I had no mapping knowledge or creative motivation beyond assembling everyone together either. When the project began to drag I guess that's when I drifted away. I am happy that it went so well in the end though, the fact that they both won Cacowards is really something.

As far as NewDoom, it's a shame it ended up like that. Doomworld wasn't very welcoming at that time and so it was my home. It's probably better that we all consolidated together in end with how few of us left there are playing this 25 year old game.

Oh hey, Sparky! It's good to see you. Totally understandable and I'm glad I ended up doing it and the team got it done. It did drag on for sure even well after you drifted off. ;) There's a few things I'd do differently but that's just from knowing now what I know. :D You're right, it's probably better we all consolidated in the end.

I remember DoomCenter also which I feel like had a very similar color scheme to DW

Also some huge “hacking” ordeal from some Doomworld members raiding New Doom after finding an exploit and then the admins here punishing them for it (there used to be a silly rivalry but the DW staff didn’t want raids done in their name).