Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xanthier

Great lengths to DOOM

HI everyone,

Long ago I retired Doom, but since I've been visiting these forums I had started playing Doom again. As i stated in past posts...my computer recently crashed and I was going to buy a new one, unfortunately I'm experiencing all kinds of hassles trying to get my grant money or any money at all, for that matter, for the semester.

So not put off by this and still eager to Doom I dug my mom's old 486 and hooked it back up...I had to go and buy a port keyboard adapter cause the machine was so old, so just about all it will run is Doom. So I went to the store and I bought Doom collectors edition. I get home and feel the rush as i boot up the computer and begins to hum, Doom is very close now. Then I found out i needed a PS/2 port adapter for my mouse as well, but Windows is perfectly navigatable using only the keyboard as well, so after some fooling around I boot up the game and it starts to run, then it comes on and I realize it's Doom95, nothing wrong with this until it prompts me that I need 256 color res to run it. Then i recall the problem that we could never get above 16 on this computer because of the many bugs on it, so i try to config my display and dig up the correct drivers, but i find some are missing and alas, I cannot fix it.
Then I remember a ray of hope... that I still posess an old Doom II cd which will run in DOS!... so without further delay, I pop in the disc and start the install, after fully installing i see the black screen come up and the dots move across the screen as Doom initializes and i hold my breath for a few brief moments in time...I think, "I will be dooming soon!!"Then...

Horror of horrors- a disc error pops up!!!....this is unbelievable!!it never gave me problems before...

SO i attempt to fix the system once again and realize windows is screwed up so I scan and defrag the hard drive and no errors are found but it fails to boot up a second time because on error so I enter again using safe mode and again attempt a scan. I finally realize Win95 needs to be re-installed, or at least some of the drivers.
So i goto my moms to see if they have the disc.. she says they did save it because she had this feeling- but it's in storage...and tey are going away for the weekend..so I call up my uncle and he says he has the upgrade and i can pick it up after school. SO that's where i'm at now, I'll cross my fingers guys, wish me luck!

Back when Wolf3d and Doom originally came out me and my brother went to great lengths to be able to play it. From upgrading our memory to him spending hours re-routing paths in DOS, but it was all worth it.

Yes, pathetic, but Doom is in our blood, we cannot back down. Anyone have any similarly pathetic stories about the need to DOOM?

Try this for pathetic. I played the shareware espisode of doom from 1994 to 1998 before i finally bought Final Doom. It sucked! I always dreamt of editing doom and i could only do it by the time i was already editing Quake. Do you remember those shareware cd's that always had Doom, heretic, descent, ROTT, Terminal Velocity and dark forces? I had it, and i yearned for the day i could have them all registered versions. That year ('98) a cousin o mine in houston gave me his collection of "oldies", cause he knew i loved classic gaming. It was like a dream come true: Doom 2, Dark Forces, Bioforge, REbel assault 2, Druid, and so much more! Long Live the Oldies!

I continue to play Doom...ever since the shareware came out! I've had the full registered versions since it was available. I got Doom 1 by ordering through ID's online ordering system when it was first available. I still have my original "floppy" disks of Doom and Doom2. I've played all the Quake variants, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Soldier of Fortune, Half-Life and the such, but I always come back to Doom. Look how long Doom has been out, no other game can lay claim to such longevity with an active community as well to go with it. People still clamour for it and because of this ID Software is doing another "Doom" game! That alone says it all, Doom lives on.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT
Doom2 GrandMaster (DHT5 Standards)

Oh yeah, I remember those classics, I bought ROTT and Duke 3-D from a kid at school for $10 but couldn't play Duke...Yeah we got DOom II then went to get Ultimate Doom but got D!Zone instead cause we were broke....
REcently I went out and bought them all though :D

I have been playing Doom for almost 10 years now, and I don't plan on giving up this dream any time soon...

Ha-ha, he! That is a good story Xanthier. I’ve gone through some shit to get games to work but never that much shit. Now days it’s getting harder and harder for me to run my old games on my new computers and I’m getting sadder and sadder. I remember the days of Doom, Rise of the triad, Terminal velocity, Heretic, Hexen, Duke nukem, Ultima 8, Daggerfall, Oh geez! I can just keep going. One by one they are left behind as the new computers stop wanting to run them. In my opinion, technology does not make better games at all.