Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
obake

Let's make a Monster: Simple Baron Editing Tutorial (COMPLETE)

This is the first part of a series in how to start editing sprites for Doom. I wanted to post the tutorial directly here on Doomworld, but since I can't seem to get the pictures to work, I've decided to include it in a zipped folder, located here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/v5ex4pcp49ypdfv/monst.zip/file

If someone with more knowledge would be able to post the tutorial directly here, they would be more than welcome. I will continue working on it, and post part two sometime next Tuesday or Wedsnesday.

The tutorial is mostly for beginners, though hopefully there is info that is applicable to everyone. Thanks for your patience, and God bless.

Edit: I almost forgot, the tutorial is in Odt format, which I am not sure will work in normal Microsoft Office. Fingers crossed it will, though.

I tried it with Word 2007 and it works fine, although I did get a warning saying it couldn't read a part of the tutorial (don't know what part though).

On 4/14/2019 at 8:35 AM, Rince-wind said:

I tried it with Word 2007 and it works fine, although I did get a warning saying it couldn't read a part of the tutorial (don't know what part though).

I'll have to look into that.

I am currently updating the first part of the tutorial, since I made a mistake with which of the Baron sprites to start with. However, the most work this will entail for those who've started is copying and pasting the new hair onto another sprite, so it should be no big deal.

The next part should be out by tomorrow.

Looking forward for the next one, also this might just be me but the last few pictures' placements seem screwed up,

going between the lines.

Nice work obake! Only just seen this post, so had a good read. The shading of the hair is very interesting to me.

Be interesting to see how you cover something like the legs etc. I can do little areas but changing large spaces which requires noise/highlights etc I can not do.

This is something I've tried working on.

Spoiler

MyWork.png.99b5f01e7149c2d43a61fca871059da9.png

Edited by Liberation

Altough I already posted this on another thread,

here are some of my sprites, tell me if you find something off about them.

Spoiler

Plutonia.png.6892e29c91e159452e4c778c34e1e7d1.png

Good work, @Liberation and @Rince-wind!

I like the camouflage, Liberation. Getting clothes can be really tough.

Those sprites are cool, Rince-Wind. My favorite is the Light and Medkit, which has especially nice colors.

Thank you!

My biggest concern in spriting is the shading, I use the doom sprites as reference and some of their shading seems random,

like the computer map for example.

This is most probably „texturing“. Shade an area evenly and then try to replace some pixels here and there. This way the area gets some kind of „texture“ and doesn‘t look as bland / flat. 

Great job obake, thank you!

Hope to see more in the future.

BTW: With putting them into slade. You don't have to make them transparent as slade can do that for you.

But the gist is to cut them all out/name them and then drag and drop the whole lot into slade. Carry out "convert to.." Set the transparency at that point, after all you will have to convert them to dooms format anyway.

Edited by Liberation

Thanks for the info.

It will take a bit longer to get the rest of the tutorial done. My hope is to have the next part released by the middle of next week.

As promised, the tutorial has been updated. While I may not be the most proficient teacher on the subject, I have done my best to introduce how to get sprites implemented in SLADE, and working in game.

This is the final part of the tutorial: http://www.mediafire.com/file/uci6osss7imao9v/monst+(7).zip

Thanks to everyone whose been working alongside me. It means a lot, and I hope we have all learned cool things from it!