Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Community Chest 64 EX release thread

Perhaps we can convince Vinny & Joel from vinesouce to have a go at this? He did play the entire original Doom 64 EX and loved and he and joel also check out some doom mods sometimes. If enough people suggest it to them they might check it out.

13 minutes ago, Bob9001 said:

Yeah good idea, give them an email about it. Sure they'll play a few levels.

If it's just me there is a lower chance it will be noticed. Would be a better idea if we all sent them one since on many streams they often mention that a reason for why they played X is because so many people sent them messages about it.

Also I don't know their emails.

Fair enough!

Sorry to be a pain, but since the map order has changed I'll have to fix the normal exit for my map. It's not supposed to take you to map 04.

Also the map name is spelt wrong for my map so if you could change that please.

Here's the fixed copy:

Ancient_Dimension v1.3.zip

11 minutes ago, Bob9001 said:

Fair enough!

Sorry to be a pain, but since the map order has changed I'll have to fix the normal exit for my map. It's not supposed to take you to map 04.

Also the map name is spelt wrong for my map so if you could change that please.

Here's the fixed copy:

Ancient_Dimension v1.3.zip

Wait, so the wad STILL isn't working as intended? Jesus christ. Well I ain't doing anything now I'm going to bed.

Yeah a small oversight, that's fine, just update it when you get up.

I totally forgot about that cause the map is supposed to be map 31 :)

10 hours ago, Bob9001 said:

Yeah a small oversight, that's fine, just update it when you get up.

I totally forgot about that cause the map is supposed to be map 31 :)

I updated the wad with this one. Can you confirm for me that your map works now as intended before I update the OP?

D64CPUPDATED.zip

EDIT: I just tested it and after jumping into the exit teleporter hole thingy the game carried on unto the final level so I assume it works.

If it's ok with you guys I would like to suggest that the mods just delete most or all of the replies that have happened on the thread so far since almost 2 entire pages have been completely wasted on this bug fixing and would just annoy anybody who visits the thread and just wants to read comments about the actual wad.

Edited by hardcore_gamer

13 hours ago, Kore said:

I didn't want to mess with the order too much. By the way I updated the credits.

EDIT:

Did riderr3 do map16 (map17 now)? Because he's credited as having done hzlkeep as map16. I added hzlkeep.wad as map11 because it was missing.

No problem, my map "Hazel Keep" can use another slot. It's don't have a secret exits anyways. Though it need a proper automap/intermission name, because it is now displayed as "Castle Hell", from the wad above.

Edited by riderr3

I absolutely fell in love with Doom 64 when I played it for review a few months ago so I'm absolutely stoked that you guys got this into the final stages. The screenshots in the dev thread looked wicked cool and while it would have been nice to see everyone finish their in-dev works I'm still looking forward to seeing the 64 EX blossom as a platform for Doom 64 user maps.

17 minutes ago, kmxexii said:

I absolutely fell in love with Doom 64 when I played it for review a few months ago so I'm absolutely stoked that you guys got this into the final stages. The screenshots in the dev thread looked wicked cool and while it would have been nice to see everyone finish their in-dev works I'm still looking forward to seeing the 64 EX blossom as a platform for Doom 64 user maps.

Which review?

23 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Which review?

It hasn't been posted yet but it will be in about three days.

Just now, kmxexii said:

It hasn't been posted yet but it will be in about three days.

For what site? Is this just a newstuff thing or for some specific site?

59 minutes ago, Thedoctor989 said:

what would you say to a Rom version of it for Emulators? (highly doubtful but What if?)

What is the point? EX is almost exactly the same but with proper PC support and in-game saves.

15 hours ago, Thedoctor989 said:

what would you say to a Rom version of it for Emulators? (highly doubtful but What if?)

1. No editor. The map format in D64X is slightly different from the one in the actual D64. For example, textures are stored as a hash of their name instead of as their index, this change was made to make modding easier. These slight changes are enough to make it so that there are no editing tools for the actual D64; they'd have to be created from scratch for the project.
  2. No MAPINFO. Yeah, the stuff that can be done here like changing map names and intermission texts and level progression? Not possible in vanilla D64. You'd have to hack the engine itself.
  3. Engine limits. Maps that work in D64X may or may not work in D64. So you'd need to go through another round of playtest and edits.
  4. Legal issues. Distributing a playable ROM of a hacked Doom 64 opens up a can of worms that distributing a set of levels that require the user to have acquired Doom 64 separately leaves closed.

So it's both harder and riskier; all that for getting a dumbed-down and less convenient version.

7 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Has anybody beaten this yet? I am up to map10

I got to Map16 then quit because I died :L

It seems like the yellow key in map08 has no difficulty settings outside hard. You can mitigate this mistake by typing give key 2 in the console after you take the teleporter to the purple room.

1 hour ago, Kore said:

It seems like the yellow key in map08 has no difficulty settings outside hard. You can mitigate this mistake by typing give key 2 in the console after you take the teleporter to the purple room.

Another game breaking bug? Great.

Note to everybody: If you get stuck on a map for too long you can always skip it while keeping all your stuff by typing "exitlevel" into the console.

First, I am happy everyone had the determination to get this released despite all of the setbacks. Second I am going to try playing through this soon!

Edit: Just finished level 2, what a journey that was! Good job @Kore !

Edited by Immorpher

@hardcore_gamer You really know how to leverage those pinkies where they become a threat! I like how you hid them in the darkness in level 3. It gave me some nice anxiety! Then the arachnotrons and mancubi in there was a nice surprise.

@Kore I really like your techbase levels, very non-linear and claustrophobic as they should be.

Now onto the GoatLord levels.

Edited by Immorpher

On 4/20/2019 at 1:04 PM, Kore said:

Maybe this is the case for the blue key in Map 7? I think there is supposed to be a platform that lowers so I can jump into the blue key area, but it doesn't seem to be working for me yet. I don't know if it is tied to the cyberdemon I seen in there. I lasered it a few times, it vanished, then I went to a teleporter and telefragged it somehow.

It's obtainable. That map is cryptic as hell. I don't know why the guy did it like that, but you gotta shoot at the wall that faces the pillar that lowers. Looking at the automap helps.

20 minutes ago, Kore said:

It's obtainable. That map is cryptic as hell. I don't know why the guy did it like that, but you gotta shoot at the wall that faces the pillar that lowers. Looking at the automap helps.

Thanks a ton! I did a few shots but they were just at random places. I'll try it when I get home. :)