Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elend

Hurt - Singleplayer map in hell

Congrats with second release! Screenshots look so cool, I'll be sure to check out this soon. 

I see this and can't believe this is a "second map" from someone, too incredible to be true. (I'll have to use this so-called GZBuilder or DBX to start then and do something for the community someday, huh.)

I'm going to play this one for sure.

But I have one question.

I see you have placed custom R667 monsters, thus my question is if I can use Project Brutality with this? Do you think it can affect the custom monsters you added?

(Didn't happen with Zaero's custom Cacodemon but yeah It's a doubt)

Well, I am actually not sure about this. They are additional monsters and don't replace old ones, so theoretically it should be fine. It also works with Smooth Doom.

18 minutes ago, elend said:

Well, I am actually not sure about this. They are additional monsters and don't replace old ones, so theoretically it should be fine. It also works with Smooth Doom.

Alright then I will give it out a try once I'm done testing two more WADs/Mods and then I'll come back with some feedback.

Also I don't have Smooth Doom, I do have Beautiful Doom 6.1, Hard Doom and Complex Doom tho.

All righty. Beat it, took around an hour and 5 minutes. This map is fighting an up hill battle with me, it requires free look (which makes me feel queasy), is really large, and requires me to play in GZDoom. Despite this, I had a really good time with the map. First of all, the visuals are gorgeous, the architecture and the extremely immersive lighting give the map a very eerie feel, which is a definite plus. Though, I got lost a few times because some of the darker areas look similar. I also like how the map starts you with nothing but a fist, I love punching out weaker demons, and there was no shortage of this in the beginning. The set piece fights were pretty fun, besides the large amount of barons in the red key fight. Barons are never fun to fight, would have rather fought revenants or hell knights. One of my main gripes with the map is looking for where the keys go, after collecting the key, you aren't really pointed towards the right direction, but rather have to look around this big ass map for one switch, definitely something to look out for next time. Overall, though, the map was very nice, and despite the aforementioned up hill battle, I was won over by the end. 

I haven’t played this yet but holy balls those screenshots are spectacular! Definitely putting this one on my to-play list.

Ok just started the playthrough for this with Project Brutality and uh... It somehow runs laggy.

Freeze Mode makes it go slightly faster, so it's not the animations itselves, any suggestions?

(I will not use Freeze obviously, but it cleans lag sometimes idk why lol.)

This is one of the best looking maps I have ever seen and is definitely the best using only vanilla textures. Looking forward to the next one my friend

@Archanhell I think you definitely need a beefy computer for this map, but most probably only during the endfight, I think. Lots of 3D floors.

Around 6 months with an average of 2 - 3 hours (I think?) per day spent on it. I was mostly still learning when builsing this map and maybe the fact, that there is barely a straight line in it, also contributed to this long building time. 

How did you make the rounded hallway with gothic arches in the first screen? I have always had trouble making those. Probably because I make everything by hand. 

That‘s also basically done by hand. I think I used vertex slopes there. Open the map in GzDB and have a look. 

@elend VladGuardian, after seeing screenshots of your map under my small review on Doom Power, said: "This is the 'Doom' from our dreams." And this is 100% true. Making big maps means taking some risk, because players have different tastes and may react negatively to the most characteristic features of such map: linearity, entanglement, excessive or uneven difficult, etc. But here I see a map where there are no such flaws and I am sure it will be liked by many. The map is designed so that nothing interferes with the classic gameplay. All its locations are voluminous and roomy, allow player to move as quickly as possible, competently use space and heights. Here is perfectly conveys the feeling of monumentality and volume, both through the rich architecture and the detailed layout. Moving through the level, the player's gaze almost always rushes into some kind of bottomless space, inviting to explore itself.

I liked the local arena battles with scripted waves. They are very solidly made, without the excesses of difficulty, giving the player freedom of choice of tactics. At first, the player’s disarmlessness makes one expect big problems, but everything turns out to be simple. In general, if player do not do stupid things, then the map is not quite complicated, except for the last boss. I didn’t observe any problems with balance, in any case.

Despite the amazing scale of the map, the objects associated with the keys are highlighted, and their location is bumped into memory due to the almost complete uniqueness of the architectural techniques encountered. I found an indicator of excellence that all this is done only with standard textures that look completely new here, thanks to how Elend works with lighting. This is the real magic of saturated dynamic and sector light. The only significant drawback of the map is the noticeable FPS subsidence towards the end, but this does not spoil the overall impression.

At the very finale, approaching the bridge, which ends in the abyss, there is a feeling of some incompleteness. Having spent on fights inside the grand hellish den for almost an hour, I looked back, checked the automap and was surprised at how much I missed. I did not find a single secret on the first try ... they are perfectly hidden. After the fall of the last beast in the final battle, finding yourself in the middle of a field from demon corpses and the bits of their leader, comes the feeling that this place was conquered by you and now is too early ro leave until it gave to you everything it can. This is some forgotten feeling of excitement.

Elend, you gave us a great example of how to make big and great maps. You are a true master.
I am sure this map has all the chances to get Cacoward this year!

Looking forward to your next projects!!

Doom_Font_Green_Arrow.png First Demo Attempt - about 1 hour, UV, GZDoom 4.0.0

Edited by StormCatcher.77

well im going to play this map

so in some time maybe i post a review

EDIT: umm i cant open the rar, seems like the file is damaged 

@StormCatcher.77 Oh my, that is quite a ton of praise. I thank you whole heartedly but can't shake the feeling that it's not entirely deserved. But thanks! :D

this map is a blast! i'm having a lot of fun with it, the geometry is beautiful yet doesnt get in the way and the new monsters feel like they fit well. my only complaint is that the baby cacos are almost too cute to kill, haha

I just started playing this, and it is just plain amazing how incredibly good looking this map is. That's one hell of an achievement for a second release! Maybe personally I would've preferred a little bit more direction on where to go next, but that is just a small nitpick really.

Have one small hiccup to report. Green armour secret defined twice with sectors 11669 and 11670.

@Gaia74 Did you try again? If not I'll upload another one, it seemed to work for everyone else, though.

@AL-97 Good find, thank you really much!

Got through this in one sitting (the map was certainly too easy for me), and I must say, this is one hell of a map. I laughed at the cute little baby cacos and marveled at the map design. 

As usual, I was a bit sad some of the lighting effects wouldn't work in software mode, but I'm not sure a map of this scope would run terribly well otherwise. 

I only managed to find a single secret, which was the invul secret at the end which helped me clear out that final area. 

Also, if this is only your second map, then your understanding of texture and architecture on this old game engine is way ahead of where I was when I started mapping! Keep it up, pretty keen to see what you make next.

I was thinking purely about gameplay and what kind of weaponry the player has! I didn't know that they are that beloved in the community. My next map will feature a shrine dedicated to the Baby Cacos to make up for it.

Also: Thanks so far to everyone for the praise. I am humbled.

4 hours ago, elend said:

I was thinking purely about gameplay and what kind of weaponry the player has! I didn't know that they are that beloved in the community. My next map will feature a shrine dedicated to the Baby Cacos to make up for it.

Also: Thanks so far to everyone for the praise. I am humbled.

Make a Pain Elemental version that spawns baby cacos.

7 minutes ago, elend said:

baby_penpj0l.png

Well, now I was wondering how a Baby PE would look like...

If a daddy PE shoots out, well, skulls, what bone from the human body does a baby one shoot out? Teeth, maybe?

6 minutes ago, Insane_Gazebo said:

If a daddy PE shoots out, well, skulls, what bone from the human body does a baby one shoot out? Teeth, maybe?

Maybe normal PE shoots out baby PEs, whom will start shooting out the skulls