Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elend

Hurt - Singleplayer map in hell

I was actually thinking Baby PEs just spit out tiny little flames. You know, daddy spouts lost souls, aka skulls in flames, then maybe the babies just manage small candle flames. Still in training.

Baby pains shoot the screaming, homing skulls from Heretic's nitrogolems. Wahwahwahwahwah!

@elend It seems there's some kind of an invisible wall blocking the path to the Computer Area Map secret. Screenshot under spoiler below.

Spoiler

zGXGN3K.jpg

15 hours ago, elend said:

@Gaia74 Did you try again? If not I'll upload another one, it seemed to work for everyone else, though.

i tried again, maybe is because i use 7zip? idk xD

So, how does one acquire Yellow Keycard (not the Yellow Skullkey)? There don't seem to be one on the map. Is it spawned by the script? Any hints on where and how to trigger it?

Also, got to say that assigning secret flags to medkits might not be such a good idea. If the player already has full health, they will miss on the secret even if they found the item.

@AL-97 Ooops, that should be a Yellow Skull Key actually. My mistake. I'll have a look at that invisible wall as well.

Alright, I have updated all issues mentioned so far. Link in the first post is updated.

@elend Sorry for the spam, but I found a couple more things:

Both the sector and the medkit behind the Baron bas-relief are counted as secrets.

Spoiler

B1Tw1bD.jpg

Medkit in the room opened by the Yellow Key, the one with the BFG trap, is counted as secret. Maybe consider changing the secret flag from the item that cannot be picked up all the time to the nearby sectors?

Spoiler

yfN0OIe.jpg

Edited by AL-97

Good call! That medkit I forgot about. Will have a look at the other stuff, too and fix things. Don‘t worry about „spamming“, much appreciated!

This map is really beautiful. However I am stuck in a certain area. I picked up the red skull and managed to kill all the waves of enemies but I cannot leave. The door from where I entered (shown in the yellow rectangle in picture) did not open. Is IDCLIP my only way out.

Ignore that. I found the switch that opens the door.

Screenshot_Doom_20190417_113409.png

Edited by ReaperAA

Congrats on the release! Will try someday this or next week assuming my laptop can handle it. However, I am not killing a single baby cacodemon ok, I am not, I ain't. NOT. NOPE. 

Spoiler

NEVER.

Loved this map. One of the most impressive maps in terms of scale, atmosphere and architecture that I've seen. I got a little lost playing it before finding the red key, mostly due to the optional area leading to the blue armor, but I eventually found where I had to go. I could not use the yellow skull key to activate objects, the message said I needed a yellow card key, so I had to use the console to get a yellow card to progress. Other than that, I love the creepy horror music, the dark ambience of the map and the slow start. Really makes me feel like I just awoke in hell and have to punch my way through lesser demons before the elite find me and all hell breaks loose.

Unfortunately I could not finish the map. Most of the combat is well paced and manageable on UV. That last room after picking up the red skull was pretty tough though, the cyberdemon and the archviles killed me a few times. After that I went outside to what I assume is the final fight with huge waves of enemies. The revenants were really doing some damage to me, and just a huge blizzard of projectiles slowly chew my health apart. I would keep trying to finish it if it weren't for the awful performance in this section of the map.

Most of the map runs decently enough. I usually get around 45-60 fps most of the map with some of the higher points being close to 100, but the outside battle is slow as hell. 20 fps, stuttering frames. It makes me nauseous trying to play it, which is a shame, considering how much I enjoyed the map up until than. Not sure what kind of PC you were testing this on but I don't see this as playable on a mid-range gaming PC. I played on the latest build of gzdoom with all post-processing effects off, I tried low fov and "rendering quality" on speed. Nothing could improve the frame rate there (which is normal in large maps).

Maybe some day I'll be able to finish this. Either way, this map is awesome and anyone who loves the hell theme and horror aspects of Doom should give it a try.

This is...

Holy Christ this is good!  The visuals!  I've never seen a map that is so visually engrossing!  The only thing I've ever seen that comes close to it are some of the maps in Eviternity.  Just stunning!

Geesh, man.  You ought to get hooked up with Dragonfly and gang.  They make some superb maps themselves.  They might be some folks you might be able to join to make another kickass megawad.  Or hell, make one on your own!

Just superb, man.  So well done!  What an incredible map!

On 4/14/2019 at 6:16 PM, elend said:
  • Best played with the following companion WADs: Smooth Doom, Highressounds, Fuzzball's Wibbly palette or Playpal plus, Tilt+

So I found Highressounds (I think). But I can't find the palette swaps. I can't getting redirected here. But I do have smooth doom. The map looks great. Just looking to play as intended.

Does this link work for you?

But yeah, those WADs are of course not mandatory, but come highly recommended by me.

Strange ... My programs 7-Zip and WinRAR can not open the archive: "the file is damaged or an unknown format."
Maybe someone will be able to pack a file in a zip archive? Thanks in advance.

sNlnF9M.png

816 kills, 371 items, 10 secrets; and I don't believe that par time is accurate.

Took a while, especially since it was mostly played in five-to-ten-minute stretches when possible instead of in one big continuous session, but yeah, I maxed it. I did cheat myself a yellow keycard after finding all three skull keys and defeating the custom boss because I saw earlier in the thread it was supposed to be a yellow skull switch, not a yellow card switch, and I was looking to find the remaining secrets then (I had only six out of ten at that point I think). I also noclipped through the invisible wall that prevents accessing the automap secret, again because I was forewarned about that bug by reading the thread. I played with the Wibbly palette since it was recommended, it had the effect of making the (many, many) blood pools look like wine pools.

Anyway, the good: the architecture. It's obvious a lot of care went into it, each area has its own recognizable style, it's beautiful throughout. The weak monsters at the start of the map are a fun addition. Combat was never too unfair even in the many (but obvious enough that you can prepare) traps. Speaking of which, that green armor blood pool trap was pretty good, with its original gimmick.

The bad: the beginning of the map where you're weaponless is a bit too long IMO, it'd be better if a weapon (at least a pistol) could be found a bit earlier so as not to have to punch imps with unberserked fists. I already had about 40 enemies on my kill counter by the time I picked up the shotgun. The devils could stand to have less health; they're used as meaner imps but they're tough enough to often survive a super shotgun blast. The map is complex enough that there were a couple of node bugs in the textured automap.

Spoiler

SbnUsE3.png

s3vlo4d.png

Speaking of automap, you should hide some lines on it. Like the 3D baron face, or the evil tree: at these places, the lines are so dense that unless you zoom all the way in you just see a solid-colored blob, which is about the same color by default as the backdrop so I thought it was another node error that prevented the texture from appearing there. Finally, two of the secrets are medikits; they should probably be berserk packs just so that they can always be picked up. It's not like it'd change progression much since you find a berserk pack before being able to reach either of these secret medikits IIRC.

The ugly: performances. The drawback of a gigantic map with a lot of details is poor performances. This made the beginning worse, because precision punching and dodging is difficult when you get frame skips, and the end was terrible too as those arachnotrons ground the FPS to a near-standstill with their rapid fire. I basically had to flee back into the level just so that they would stop firing and I'd get approximately acceptable performances to fight the boss, who followed me. As a result I got it trapped in the pulsing red room and then shot it to death from the other side of the window in the spiral staircase room; it was cheesy but I got halfway acceptable FPS this way. Then I cheesed many of the outdoors monsters by going to the yellow card switch area, where there's also a window. A bunch of arachnotrons had bunched there, and they infighted with the enhanced cacos as I was waiting for the slideshow to end and the movie to restart in the switch room. Then peek back at the window, new laggy round of infighting, new hiding in the nearby room, etc. until there were no more cacos and I had to dispatch the remaining arachnos with the chaingun. Also some lag after finding the invuln secret and it obligingly added some more monsters because I had already killed all those in the level at that point, so it wasn't as bad as when arachnos were alive.

On the whole, a pretty good map, but my poor compy couldn't keep up with it.

@Gez Thank you so much for taking your time and playing this thing. 4 hours would be indeed a bit crazy and you mentioned, that this is lost probably not correct, so, what do you think how much time did you need?

Other than that, your report reads very funny and almost like an old pirate diary entry or something. I enjoyed it very much. 

The node issues I am still trying to fix, but some don‘t show on my computer (?) and some new ones pop up every time I save the map. Many of your issues have also been adressed already (link is currently the most up to date version) and yeah, the performance... well yeah. It runs fine on my computer (GTX 1050) and I wish people with lesser laptops would also get a decent performance, but this I cannot change. 

Again, thank you very much for your insight! 

I was just kidding about the unchanged par time value of zero minutes thirty seconds. I doubt it's beatable that fast!

Four hours total seem accurate because, as I said, I mostly played it by bite-sized installments over the last few days, just exploring a room or two, so I spent a lot of game time just finding my bearings back.

Just finished the map (HNTR difficulty), here's a little review:

As others have already stated, this map looks fucking gorgeous. The fact that you used (almost) stock textures only is an impressive feat in and of itself, but combining that with GZDoom features without anything looking out of place is something I have to applaud. It does come at a price, though, as my framerate was dropping well below even 30fps in some areas, particularly the big outdoor area with the 3D floor walkway up top. And I didn't even have any of the fancy GZDoom stuff like bloom or SSAO on.

The gameplay was enjoyable for the most part, with just the right amount of challenge to it, pretty much the only exception being the final battle sequence. Trying to dodge rockets being fired by 50-something revenants with almost no cover to speak of was a minor pain, and the aforementioned framerate problem made it twice as frustrating. Then again, I'm not a fan of slaughter-style gameplay in general.

Overall, though, it was a pretty cool map. Keep it up! c:

quite nice. enjoying playing it. though i am getting a few nodebuikding bugs in it. am i the only one?