Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elend

Hurt - Singleplayer map in hell

@DenisNinja Go play something that is confirmed to work with mods and stop wasting everyone's time. Your ranting has gone from amusing to dull.

We get it, you hate vanilla doom.

Nobody cares

3 hours ago, DenisNinja said:

now or you understand and test yourselves this map or stop to talk about bullshit, I played Doom a lot in the 90s, today I'm in Gzdoom because of Mods like Brutal Doom etc, I'm sick of the old Doom, for me like I said if this map does not work well with Brutal Doom or project Brutality, it will be a useless map

What a rude and entitled response, the map was never meant to be played with such mods, and it would be easier for you to go find something else to play rather than rant and complaint about how playing it the way it wasn't supposed to be isn't working properly

4 hours ago, RightField said:

If your rhetoric was a bit more charming then maybe just maybe you'd inspire the author to optimize the map, I'd never listen to anyone throwing me a curveball of "it's badly done", especially when it's not badly done..

Me neither.

5 hours ago, DenisNinja said:

I'm sick of the old Doom

Then why are you here to begin with? There's other wads you can play with your favorite mods if you really can't live without them. Hurt does not count among them, that's out of the scope of the project. Now stop ranting, it won't change anything, apart from showing everyone how entitled you are, judging by your replies.

hahahahaha........

these guys that blame others but the mods.....hahahahaha....they make me laugh.....

My recommendations:

• Get the latest GZDoom build because it has a framerate boost.
  • Disable intensive resource effects like dynamic lights.
  • Scale down the resolution by 1/4 or half of it.
  • DO NOT BLAME THE CREATOR. Use mods that don't use too much resources or simply use the vanilla way. Otherwise, you can GTFO or get a better computer. That's the way it is sadly.

EDIT: I also have some framerate issues, now and when I playtested it but that only happened at the end area. STILL managed to rekt the fight, even if it's time consuming. And I did what I said in the recommendation list to boost my framerate to at least 80%. 

Edited by leodoom85

9 hours ago, DenisNinja said:

the truth is that the map is badly done, I play QC DOOM together with Megawad Eviternity, in my Nootebook, in the highest settings and always in 30 fps, I have never been disappointed

Just to add to the cacophony of ill-informed opinions you have, Eviternity is an MBF-compatible megawad designed primarily with PRBoom+ in mind. Aside from a couple of visual additions, it features no advanced GZDoom effects at all. 

Hurt, on the other hand, features loads. It's an advanced GZDoom map, of course it's going to make more demands on your system. Complaining Hurt is more demanding than Eviternity is like complaining Quake: Champions is more demanding than Quake 2. 

If your computer isn't good enough to play advanced GZDoom maps, I'm afraid that unless you upgrade you're just not going to be able to play them. It sucks I know, but this is what progress looks like.

10 hours ago, DenisNinja said:

...the map is badly done...for me like I said if this map does not work well with Brutal Doom or project Brutality, it will be a useless map...

If you cannot appreciate good maps because they don't run with certain mods (resource intensive ones at that), then your criticism is about as useless as you say the map is...the only thing badly done here was your assessment of the map and your attitude toward the well earned pushback you got from vocalizing your idiotic opinion...

This is a beautiful map chock full of atmosphere.  I just wish it ran smoother.  Is it at all possible to break the one big map into a couple of smaller maps?  Perhaps even a hub set up?  I realise that it could be a lot of work but I feel that the map would really benefit from it.  For me, at least, a variable frame rate really hurts (see what I did there?) the immersion factor.

I understand that big GZD maps hit a system hard but I'm running an i7 4770k @4.2GHz and a GTX 1080ti and I struggle to keep 60 fps.  

I'm not complaining (you do you), just asking.  The smoother the map is to play, the better your design talent shines (if that makes sense). :)

Don‘t worry, I totally understand you. But I am not sure how I would even break this map up into several maps, hehe. Don‘t worry, I‘ll make more maps and more importantly less demanding ones, too. 

1 hour ago, elend said:

Don‘t worry, I totally understand you. But I am not sure how I would even break this map up into several maps, hehe. Don‘t worry, I‘ll make more maps and more importantly less demanding ones, too. 

I might just have an idea.

Maybe a modification in the underground part when coming back to the surface so that when you take a certain route in the tunnels (a mandatory tunnel, that is, so it can't be missed) you step into an invisible portal that ends the map, and the next one starts from the same spot, but now the tunnel behind the player has collapsed.

I made an account just to tell you (OP) that you're the reason I'm getting into these awesome user-made Doom WADs. This looks phenomenal. I can't wait to dive into the rest of what this community has made!

Just played through this one. Had a great time! As the screenshots suggested, the detail was absolutely beautiful and meticulous. The entire map was just oozing with atmosphere, and I really liked the use of the fog effect (particularly in the library). I got lost a few times, but never for very long, thankfully.

Played it on UV, took about 51 minutes, and had fun the whole way through. Health and ammo on UV felt perfect – enough to keep me going when I really needed it, but minimal enough to provide a lot of tension.

I loved the opening, with those creepy zombie fodder things and the melee revenants crawling all over the place as I went scrambling to find a weapon in this giant, menacing fortress unfolding before me. The Cyberdemon fight felt a little bit too easy (just did a circle until the infighting took care of 90% of everything, including what seemed like 90% of the Cybie’s health). I thought the final battle was well constructed though, especially the 3d floor area for ammo (a very nice touch).

Overall, a great experience! I can only imagine the effort it took to create this map, so thank you!

And I thank you for taking your time and playing! I recently updated the WAD slightly and uploaded it to idgames. Once it's confirmed and up, I'll update the link here.

Would love to give this a play through but the link is down and the only "hurt" WAD I could find in the archive is a 5 map contribution from 1999...

Could someone please upload it else where or provide a link to one that's active?

Thanks.

Ooops, don‘t know where it went, I just wanted to update the original file. I‘ll upload it in about 4 hours, when I‘m back home. 

Sorry! 

EDIT: And I updated the link. I accidentally still had Hurt.rar instead of the now .zip archive I host. Download it here: http://www.vidgames.de/images/temp/doom_wad/hurt/Hurt.zip

Edited by elend : Update link

On 6/18/2019 at 3:58 AM, elend said:

Ooops, don‘t know where it went, I just wanted to update the original file. I‘ll upload it in about 4 hours, when I‘m back home. 

Sorry! 

EDIT: And I updated the link. I accidentally still had Hurt.rar instead of the now .zip archive I host. Download it here: http://www.vidgames.de/images/temp/doom_wad/hurt/Hurt.zip

Got it.

Cheers.

Hey Elend, just wanted to add my praise to all the comments above.  The atmosphere in this map is truly incredible; a real brooding, menacing sense of dread like you are making your way through Dante's Inferno!  Especially love the dark caves and dungeons lit by fire and lava, the blood-pools, bodies and the breathtaking architecture.  The new enemies are great and the music track you used is incredible.  Loved the boss as well and while I did get lost a few times, I liked the slow-paced start as the lack of weapons keeps you on edge.  I can understand how this and the maze-like quality could put a lot of people off, although personally atmosphere and sheer awe at what I am exploring are far more important, so no complaints on that front.

My only gripe is the bridge at the end really ruined the experience for me, as the plethora of HOM effects brought my modern, powerful rig to under 5 fps anytime it was in view.  I got by after lowering the resolution and turning off dynamic lighting in software rendering mode, as advised by others but still died many times here and had to adopt some strange way of fighting by avoiding looking at the bridge as it it were Medusa!  Probably took me about 4 hours to finish and found 8/9 secrets.

Couple of small bugs I noticed

• It is possible to get stuck in Sector 13629 by the candles (secret-hunting...); maybe widen the channel or lower sector 13642 a little?

862958451_Hurt-Cangetstuckhere(small).jpg.75c3f13704f618bbe54877838d8130f5.jpg

• Back SideDef 117275 is missing texture FLAT5_8 (wall protruding from the ceiling in the cave where you get the plasma gun).

Hurt - Missing SideDef (small).jpg

Looking forward to what see what you create in future and again, truly amazing work and dedication to create such an enormous work of art.

Edited by SPYDOR

Oh that's a nice find, that you can get stuck there. I'll fix that momentarily. That second bug has already been fixed, iirc. I will check again. Thank you very much for your praise. The awesome music is by @Immorpher and you can listen to more like that right over here.

I went straight from finishing master levels to playing this wad, and damn there's such a huge difference. This map is gorgeous!
Haven't been able to finish it quite yet because I'm kinda bad but I've thoroughly enjoyed what I've seen of this map so far (got to the outside area where tons of monsters spawn.) Excited to see more from you!

Well thank you very much. Too bad the progression is a bit obtuse at points. I hope you can finish it somehow. Hehe.

I recently also updated the OP with a idgames.com link!

Why does the death floor directly next to the building (outside) kill you in one hit :(
Got stupidly close to finishing it but died when I went back inside to look for secrets.
Other than that death (lol) the level got even better in the five or so minutes of gameplay I hadn't seen yet. Incredible that this is your 2nd level!

Finally finished the map with 13.13 hours of playtime (100% kills, items, and secrets, in one go, without saving! Although with a few practice saves and noclip/summon to practice bossfight at one point.) and I have a few more comments.

The large underground caverns that you need the yellow key to access feel a bit confusing and empty, especially towards the end (that last room with tons of health and armor bonuses feels like it could've had more in it,) and it's very easy to miss a few enemies in all the similar-looking rooms and go looking for them for 10+ minutes. Also, the BFG secret is pretty cryptic. I had to look in GZDoom Builder to figure out how to get that one, and even then it took me a bit of time (mostly because I'm unfamiliar with GZDoom Builder, but still!) I thought I had checked that area already but apparently I needed to use a projectile which on most weapon-activated switches is the thing that doesn't work.

However, these are my only gripes with the map. The underground caverns really aren't that bad, just confusing at times and kind of empty. They still look great and mostly play well too, really the only weak part of the map in my opinion. The ending fight is enjoyable as well, feeling very fair and challenging (it might be a good idea to place some invisible walls or something out there though as I had a few instances where a caco flew stupidly far out and I had to wait almost a minute for him to get back in range.)

I also liked most of the secret placements, as they made sense and followed a pattern that could be figured out without too much trouble, although the rewards for a few of them were a bit underwhelming (looking at you, medikits.) Not sure what you meant by obtuse progression, as it seemed pretty good to me. You get the weapons in order of power and pretty spread out as well. It was very easy to figure out where to go, and also to remember where various key doors/switches were, as they were marked well.

As I mentioned before, the map looks beautiful. Hellish and unsettling all throughout, albeit in slightly different ways. Really liked when there were windows looking into detailed areas that you couldn't actually get to but were just there for decoration, it nicely added to the experience in my opinion.

Once again, great map overall! Really looking forward to seeing what you do next.

Edited by MBCollector672 : added aesthetic opinions

Thank you very much for your small review @MBCollector672 ! Very much appreciated. I am also not happy with that "cave" area, since vanilla textures are not really perfect for that and I also kind of had no idea what to do with it. I imagined it to be some kind of prison, thus the smaller "rooms". I almost cut it out of the map completely but kept it optional in the end.

I think I out Caco blocklines somewhere. Maybe they are still a bit far out. Will take this into more consideration on my next map. Will be a techbase, so not really that hellish. Hopefully unique, though.

Fantastic map so far. I'm an hour in and have all three skulls and have just seen the BFG tease. I'm playing on UV, which I'm finding to be pitched very well for my tastes, using vanilla lighting mode in GZDoom, so it's rather dark, but that's not much of an issue. 

I've seen that this bit of marble (between the two blood trails - you can see a minor misalignment here) is scrolling down along with the two blood trails in the red skull area, a mistake I'm surprised nobody else seems to have pointed out!

DrhNQ3x.png

Sorry if the image is a bit huge.

Ohhh, now that's a good catch! Nobody noticed this indeed. Thank you very much!

I've gotten to the end now - I noticed a sloped rock had WOODMET on a barely visible back side, but didn't think to get a screenshot, as it's not a glaring error and it's in the big cave bit where the BFG is teased. Having finished it missing three secrets and a few enemies in an hour and 34 minutes, I'd say this is one of the better big (G)ZDoom maps I've played, right up there with Waterlabs GZD. Good work!

Is their anything I can do to make this run better? I've turned off dynamic lights, but it's hard to even hit 60fps. I've got a gtx 1080 and ryzen 1600, I don't think I should be getting such bad performance.

Have you tried the Vulkan renderer? For me it performs better than OpenGL. Be sure you are in the latest GZDoom version.

With the years, I learned that Doom is a surprisingly hard game to run on modern system, as it's purely single threaded (being a game so old) all those fancy cores you cpu have will do anything, and the way the levels are constructed there is no streaming assets or anything like that. Of course the other factor is GZDoom performance is somewhat compromised by the extensive modding it allow. PrBoom+ for example will run notably faster on the same map, but looking less nice and without allowing the same feature set an mods.