Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
noisebloom

Noob me plenty

Hello - I'm noisebloom! I'm a long time lover of the classic Doom games (the 2016 one is pretty legit, too); I am fascinated by the design, theming, and development of all things Doom. 

I'm a technical lead for a software engineering organization for a living. Most of my spare time is spent on the band I'm in - I write, sing, play cello, guitar, and synth for an electronic shoegaze band. I also like writing, playing and designing board games, and analyzing pretty much everything. I'm an INTP (I will confess I'm not a big fan of MBTI, but I find the Jungian typological functions extremely useful in my life). I somehow have time for a girlfriend, as well...

One day I hope to design a competent Doom map myself. Haven't even tried, but thought about it.

Anyway, I've been lurking here and am a fan of this forum. I really enjoy playing Doom online, though I'm mostly interested in WADs with really good level design and not too many bells and whistles attached... If there's any clans around here that are into that, let me know! I still enjoy playing through vanilla Doom and Doom 2, as well.

What are some of the wads you've played so far? There's a lot of good "pure Doom, not many bells and whistles" mapsets out there that you'd probably enjoy, based on your description - Fava Beans, Memento Mori, Scythe and several others come to mind right away. I can dig up a huge list I have saved somewhere if you're hungry for more wads to play.

12 hours ago, Doomkid said:

What are some of the wads you've played so far? There's a lot of good "pure Doom, not many bells and whistles" mapsets out there that you'd probably enjoy, based on your description - Fava Beans, Memento Mori, Scythe and several others come to mind right away. I can dig up a huge list I have saved somewhere if you're hungry for more wads to play.

I haven't played many user-created WADs. I used to have an unfairly founded negative impression of user-created WADs after playing some ones that didn't impress me years ago, and only recently did I realize that there are a ton of really excellent ones.

I recently played the first few maps of Sunlust and really enjoyed it. I've heard nothing but good things about MM. 

I'm open to any recommendations you guys may have; I'm sure I'll be doing my own independent research on this, as well. 

I was more trying to see if there's a group of people here that host cooperative servers regularly on WADs like these. I'd be interested in joining up once in awhile! I do find servers like this on Zandronum, but I'm often wading through servers that have a lot of customization and it can alienating for someone wanting more of a vanilla experience.

22 minutes ago, noisebloom said:

I'm open to any recommendations you guys may have; I'm sure I'll be doing my own independent research on this, as well. 

Pretty much anything that's won a Cacoward or is on the Top 100 Maps list is worth a play.

Not all of them are epic maps, mind you - some are there for alternate reasons - but they're all certainly memorable.

Alien Vendetta, to me, is still the best megawad that I've played. TVR's revolution was good as well, if you like city themed levels. He really nailed them. Neither of those wads are full of too much fluff either; I would recommend using Zdoom or GZdoom, or Zandronum, to play them, but that's mainly just to get rid of the restrictions on map size. There's always Hell Revealed if you want a challenge. 

2 hours ago, Jello said:

There's always Chillax if you want a challenge. 

Fixed that for you.