Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Archanhell

So, I started to use GZDB..

You don't need to add that particular mid because it is already in the Doom iwad that the player will be required to use anyway.

Just now, Empyre said:

You don't need to add that particular mid because it is already in the Doom iwad that the player will be required to use anyway.

Well, the thing is I'm using Doom music on a Doom 2 WAD, therefore it's not the DooM IWAD.

Do I have to forcefully use Doom 2 music?

It's like this right now.

Also the MIDI Converter didn't work, I have a Suspense .MID but it doesn't play at all lol

Captura de pantalla (4316).png

1 hour ago, Archanhell said:

I would like to use E1M5's Suspense, so I see I don't need to use SLADE due to it being one of the original tracks from the first game.

So how can I put it on the MAPINFO?

You'll need to use SLADE to insert the MAPINFO into the WAD though.

Something like this should work:

map MAP01 "UAC Techbase"
{
    levelnum = 5
    next = "MAP02"
    sky1 = "SKY1", 0
    music = "D_E1M5"
}

Since it's a Doom II map, you'll need to export the MUS and re-import it into your PWAD, also using SLADE. You can rename the lump if you so choose, just make sure your MAPINFO reflects that.

1 minute ago, Dark Pulse said:

You'll need to use SLADE to insert the MAPINFO into the WAD though.

Something like this should work:

map E1M5 "Your Map's Name"
{
	levelnum = 5
    next = "E1M6"
    sky1 = "SKY1", 0
    music = "D_E1M5"
}

This, of course, assumes you're mapping for Doom/Ultimate Doom. If that's a Doom II map, you'll need to export the MUS and re-import it into Doom II.

So, being a DooM 2 Map, I need to get the MUS for E1M5's Suspense to import it into DooM II, would this work?

The music even plays, so I think it's good?

Captura de pantalla (4318).png

1 minute ago, Archanhell said:

So, being a DooM 2 Map, I need to get the MUS for E1M5's Suspense to import it into DooM II, would this work?

The music even plays, so I think it's good?

Captura de pantalla (4318).png

It'd work but you're pointlessly bloating the size with that MP3.

Open the Doom/Ultimate Doom IWAD. Find D_E1M5. Right click > Export, save it to a file. Then go back to your PWAD, import it, save.

4 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

It'd work but you're pointlessly bloating the size with that MP3.

Open the Doom/Ultimate Doom IWAD. Find D_E1M5. Right click > Export, save it to a file. Then go back to your PWAD, import it, save.

Did it exactly like you said, I could import the .MUS, however it doesn't play when clicking the play button while the MP3 did work somehow.

Captura de pantalla (4319).png

EDIT: Other thing to note with the .MP3 is that it plays in SLADE, yet it doesn't play on the map itself unless you do "changemus D_RUNNIN"

4 minutes ago, Archanhell said:

Did it exactly like you said, I could import the .MUS, however it doesn't play when clicking the play button while the MP3 did work somehow.

Captura de pantalla (4319).png

EDIT: Other thing to note with the .MP3 is that it plays in SLADE, yet it doesn't play on the map itself unless you do "changemus D_RUNNIN"

You need to set a soundfont for SLADE to play MIDI/MUS type music with (Up on the top menu: Edit > Preferences > Audio). Just set it to use FluidSynth, and select a soundfont. The one that comes with GZDoom (gzdoom.sf2) will do fine, but there's other soundfonts out there.

You need to set a soundfont for SLADE to play MIDI/MUS type music with (Up on the top menu: Edit > Preferences > Audio). Just set it to use FluidSynth, and select a soundfont. The one that comes with GZDoom (gzdoom.sf2) will do fine, but there's other soundfonts out there.

Lol I didn't know that, I'm a newbie to this so thank you, gotta check that and will tell you what happens.

EDIT: Added gzdoom.sf2, pressed "OK" and saved.

As you could see on the past screenshots, there is my MAPINFO where " Music = "D_RUNNIN" "
And the .MUS for E1M5 was renamed to "D_RUNNIN" without " too.

Now, when I enter the map itself, there's no music playing, it only plays when you put changemus D_RUNNIN and even then, a red message on the console regarding FLUIDSYNTH MIDI Device appears, but I don't think that's really important?

But yeah, no music plays unless I use that command, and it plays on low volume even with 100% Music Volume at options, at least the first seconds I think.

Screenshot took after testing: 

Captura de pantalla (4320).png

Edited by Archanhell

18 minutes ago, Archanhell said:

As you could see on the past screenshots, there is my MAPINFO where " Music = "D_RUNNIN" "
And the .MUS for E1M5 was renamed to "D_RUNNIN" without " too.

Now, when I enter the map itself, there's no music playing, it only plays when you put changemus D_RUNNIN and even then, a red message on the console regarding FLUIDSYNTH MIDI Device appears, but I don't think that's really important?

But yeah, no music plays unless I use that command, and it plays on low volume even with 100% Music Volume at options, at least the first seconds I think.

Screenshot took after testing: 

Captura de pantalla (4320).png

Your MAPINFO, unless you changed it since your last picture, is still referencing D_E1M5 for the music. Either change that to D_RUNNIN or change the MUS lump to D_E1M5.

1 minute ago, Dark Pulse said:

Your MAPINFO, unless you changed it since your last picture, is still referencing D_E1M5 for the music. Either change that to D_RUNNIN or change the MUS lump to D_E1M5.

As you can see, yup, I changed it.

Didn't notify of the change, actually. 

Captura de pantalla (4321).png

7 minutes ago, Archanhell said:

I just have to send the .wad right? If that's the case, here. 

TECHBASE - copia.zip

Derp. I know why.

You named your map TECHBASE, not MAP01. Your MAPINFO should thus have the first line be:

map TECHBASE "UAC Techbase"

It's loading the music properly into MAP01, because I thought you'd put it at the MAP01 slot. You didn't. (This is why they tell you to usually not rename levels from the ExMy or MAPxx conventions unless you know what you're doing/have set it up so the user doesn't notice.)

You'll need to do a little additional work if you want to use custom level lump names, or you can just rename the TECHBASE map marker lump to MAP01.

Derp. I know why.

You named your map TECHBASE, not MAP01. Your MAPINFO should thus have the first line be:

map TECHBASE "UAC Techbase"

It's loading the music properly into MAP01, because I thought you'd put it at the MAP01 slot. You didn't. (This is why they tell you to usually not rename levels from the ExMy or MAPxx conventions unless you know what you're doing/have set it up so the user doesn't notice.)

...Well, now that's pretty silly from me, lol!

Let's see, now it should work haha

EDIT: Ok! Now it does work! Woohoo!

Thank both you and Empyre very much for helping, I can't believe after all it was a small mistake on the map "x" line! It's so silly It's even funny!

I hope it wasn't a small waste of time, after all I'm really new to this, specially to what is scripting, programming and such!

1 minute ago, Archanhell said:

...Well, now that's pretty silly from me, lol!

Let's see, now it should work haha

Again, you'll either need to do a little work if you want the custom map marker lump name, or you can just rename it to MAP01 (and change the MAPINFO map marker stuff back to MAP01).

2 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Again, you'll either need to do a little work if you want the custom map marker lump name, or you can just rename it to MAP01 (and change the MAPINFO map marker stuff back to MAP01).

Yeah I'll need to rename it back to MAP01 maybe, unless I make it a single map and it's just "TECHBASE" lol, actually how to rename it? It's as simple as doing it from 

GZDB itself or I have to travel to the dark caves of SLADE? 

Though I think maybe it's not that important to change it haha

EDIT: Nvm, found it!

Okay so I have a small problem which I think SLADE caused, it's simple though:

Does SLADE erase progress you make on a WAD?

I had both Programs opened, saved on GZDB and closed SLADE, it asked me to save changes, I clicked "Yes".

But after doing so and closing both programs and opening GZDB, like 20 or 30 minutes of work were erased.

I'll have to do it again but I just want to work if Slade caused it?

12 minutes ago, Archanhell said:

I had both Programs opened, saved on GZDB and closed SLADE, it asked me to save changes, I clicked "Yes".

But after doing so and closing both programs and opening GZDB, like 20 or 30 minutes of work were erased.

Never have files open in both programs at once to prevent this exact problem. Save and close out your map before opening SLADE; do your changes in SLADE and save them before re-opening your map to edit. Changes you do in one will not be reflected in the other unless you reload, and if you don't, you set yourself up for a disaster like that. It's not that SLADE "lost" your changes, it's that it didn't know of them - so when you re-saved in it, it saved the versions it had, wrecking the since-updated ones.

Unless you do both your map editing in SLADE as well, anyway (it is possible to), but otherwise, yeah. Don't have a file open in two places at once while you're working on it, that's kind of common sense.

29 minutes ago, Archanhell said:

That's the perils of having something open in two different programs.

What you can do is to run GZDB from within SLADE. In Edit->Preferences->Advanced, find the "path_db2" variable and set it to the path to Builder.exe; e.g. D:/Doom/Tools/GZDBBF/Builder.exe. Then you can right-click a map header and chose "open map in Doom Builder", edit it from there, and when you save and quit GZDB it'll update the map within SLADE and you won't lose progress when saving from SLADE.

Otherwise, just don't open your map in both programs at once. Save and quit in one before opening it in the other.

21 minutes ago, Gez said:

That's the perils of having something open in two different programs.

What you can do is to run GZDB from within SLADE. In Edit->Preferences->Advanced, find the "path_db2" variable and set it to the path to Builder.exe; e.g. D:/Doom/Tools/GZDBBF/Builder.exe. Then you can right-click a map header and chose "open map in Doom Builder", edit it from there, and when you save and quit GZDB it'll update the map within SLADE and you won't lose progress when saving from SLADE.

Otherwise, just don't open your map in both programs at once. Save and quit in one before opening it in the other.

Well, those are the consequences I suffer by such, thank you for the information, I'll just use GZDB to edit and SLADE3 to edit the WAD things which GZDB can't edit, but never have both programs open at same time.

43 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Never have files open in both programs at once to prevent this exact problem. Save and close out your map before opening SLADE; do your changes in SLADE and save them before re-opening your map to edit. Changes you do in one will not be reflected in the other unless you reload, and if you don't, you set yourself up for a disaster like that. It's not that SLADE "lost" your changes, it's that it didn't know of them - so when you re-saved in it, it saved the versions it had, wrecking the since-updated ones.

Unless you do both your map editing in SLADE as well, anyway (it is possible to), but otherwise, yeah. Don't have a file open in two places at once while you're working on it, that's kind of common sense.

Yeah, It's common sense after all, but never thought on this until it happened, thanks.

I fixed what I did for third time anyways so all it's fine for now.

Custom things like music, sky, textures, etc. can be a tad confusing at first. xD But try this two times and maybe change some other things and you will get a grasp on how this all works. Thanks to Dark Pulse for being so patient and explaining everything.

1 hour ago, elend said:

Custom things like music, sky, textures, etc. can be a tad confusing at first. xD But try this two times and maybe change some other things and you will get a grasp on how this all works. Thanks to Dark Pulse for being so patient and explaining everything.

Yeah soon or later I will get the grasp on this kind of stuff!

And yeah, really thanks to Dark for helping and being so patient even when in the end it was a mistake I did lol

Talking of more stuff, btw, I can see in a lot of WADs you can close doors which are in the middle of their opening/raising animation, is this an action or ACS thingies? :p

Because I got to a section on my map which is... Well, basically kind-of hard and I was wonderin' that.

I'm asking a lot of stuff but maybe when I finish this map, and test more and more, I'll get a grasp! ...maybe.

2 hours ago, Archanhell said:

Talking of more stuff, btw, I can see in a lot of WADs you can close doors which are in the middle of their opening/raising animation, is this an action or ACS thingies? :p

Because I got to a section on my map which is... Well, basically kind-of hard and I was wonderin' that.

I'm asking a lot of stuff but maybe when I finish this map, and test more and more, I'll get a grasp! ...maybe.

The player can manually close a door at any time, if that's what you mean, and if the mapper made it a repeatable door (as opposed to one that opens and stays open). Otherwise, the door will generally open, stay for four seconds, and shut.

If you mean stuff like doors that only open partway or whatever, there's some Boom tricks that will let a door open up only partway, but since you're mapping in UDMF, you aren't exactly worried about compatability with non-UDMF engines.

In your case, you would probably do it by ACS scripting or some similar means to have more control over doors if that's what you needed.

3 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

The player can manually close a door at any time, if that's what you mean, and if the mapper made it a repeatable door (as opposed to one that opens and stays open). Otherwise, the door will generally open, stay for four seconds, and shut.

If you mean stuff like doors that only open partway or whatever, there's some Boom tricks that will let a door open up only partway, but since you're mapping in UDMF, you aren't exactly worried about compatability with non-UDMF engines.

In your case, you would probably do it by ACS scripting or some similar means to have more control over doors if that's what you needed.

Well I have my Doors always set as Door Raise (Door Generic if they are locked) Yet they can't be closed by the player, they automatically close after the time the close delay was set to, which is weird?

Other little problem I have had since the beginning is when say, a sector is a times bigger than the default (128 tall) and then doors or anything else breaks so it's unusable (had to use 2 32x128 sectors just to make a door lol), so making stairs and second floors is way harder with that.

But it's okay, I'll try to keep this the simplest I can for now, focusing more on the gameplay and on a bit of detail, maybe non-linear mapping and such lol

1 hour ago, Archanhell said:

Well I have my Doors always set as Door Raise (Door Generic if they are locked) Yet they can't be closed by the player, they automatically close after the time the close delay was set to, which is weird?

Make sure to not use tags (i.e. use tag 0), otherwise the action will behave like a switch. In the ZDoom family, when you use tag 0 the action will always be applied to the sector on the back of the side.

8 hours ago, Archanhell said:

Other little problem I have had since the beginning is when say, a sector is a times bigger than the default (128 tall) and then doors or anything else breaks so it's unusable (had to use 2 32x128 sectors just to make a door lol), so making stairs and second floors is way harder with that.

But it's okay, I'll try to keep this the simplest I can for now, focusing more on the gameplay and on a bit of detail, maybe non-linear mapping and such lol

What do you mean by locked? You don't want the player to be able to manually open them, or you only want to open them with a key?

For the former, you'd basically just make it a switch-activated door, tagging the sector with the switch's tag so that the switch activates the door. The door's lines themselves would have no linedef actions on it; thus, the door would only operate under the switch. You setting it to Door Generic might be what is messing it up. For the latter, well, you just set it so it's one of those key-activated linedefs, and the player can't make it budge without that key (or keys).

Doors can be any height, but the standard door textures are generally 128 tall. That's not "a few times bigger than the default." You should need no more than one sector to actually make a door. If you're talking about it not going flush into the ceiling when it opens, that's by design - doors always open to the height of the lowest neighboring ceiling minus 4 units. So if all halls with the door are 128 tall, it will open up to 124. If the hall on one side is 128 and the hall on the other is 96, it will only open to 92.

3 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

What do you mean by locked? You don't want the player to be able to manually open them, or you only want to open them with a key?

For the former, you'd basically just make it a switch-activated door, tagging the sector with the switch's tag so that the switch activates the door. The door's lines themselves would have no linedef actions on it; thus, the door would only operate under the switch. You setting it to Door Generic might be what is messing it up. For the latter, well, you just set it so it's one of those key-activated linedefs, and the player can't make it budge without that key (or keys).

Doors can be any height, but the standard door textures are generally 128 tall. That's not "a few times bigger than the default." You should need no more than one sector to actually make a door. If you're talking about it not going flush into the ceiling when it opens, that's by design - doors always open to the height of the lowest neighboring ceiling minus 4 units. So if all halls with the door are 128 tall, it will open up to 124. If the hall on one side is 128 and the hall on the other is 96, it will only open to 92.

Well by locked I mean they can only be opened with a key, so far there's only one and it works correctly. For that kind of door I use Door Generic, while for doors that don't need a switch and thus can be used whenever you want I use Door Raise.

When you are close to a door, you should be able to close it even while it's still opening, therefore spamming the door open-close as much as you want, but that doesn't happen in my map.

Regarding sectors, when I use textures, the door texture is messed up and appears much taller than it should, and while I can just place a texture on one side that would look kind of ugly to be honest, but that's all.

Now, on other hand, I may just map a bit today, so there's not going to be much progress.

(The picture below was fixed, but there was only 1 sector joining both the room I was making yesterday and this enormous and tall hall, the tall sector didn't made any problem with the small room, but the textures were messed up if you placed a door texture on the side of the tall sector, I don't know if I'm explaining myself, so sorry if it's not comprehensible lol) 

Captura de pantalla (4336).png

15 minutes ago, Archanhell said:

Well by locked I mean they can only be opened with a key, so far there's only one and it works correctly. For that kind of door I use Door Generic, while for doors that don't need a switch and thus can be used whenever you want I use Door Raise.

...Nevermind, I forgot that in UDMF there are no specific key-linked linedefs for doors and that it basically apes the Boom style stuff.

That said, I just tested whipping up a quick map and had no problem repeatedly triggering the door open and shut. Are you sure you've got the door flagged right? Repeatable Action and When Player Presses Use are ticked? Movement Speed is 16 (Normal), Type field is 0 for standard Open/Close, Delay is 34 (4 seconds)?

I tested making it with a key as well, and it repeated just fine once I had the key. Something's borked about how you're making these doors.

EDIT: Looked at the version of the map you sent me yesterday, you're definitely doing something strange and different with doors. You're using Action Type 12 (Door Raise) in that version of the map, which is the problem - those will only raise, but then are NOT under player control.

Set them to Door Generic like the others.

3 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

...Nevermind, I forgot that in UDMF there are no specific key-linked linedefs for doors and that it basically apes the Boom style stuff.

That said, I just tested whipping up a quick map and had no problem repeatedly triggering the door open and shut. Are you sure you've got the door flagged right? Repeatable Action and When Player Presses Use are ticked? Movement Speed is 16 (Normal), Type field is 0 for standard Open/Close, Delay is 34 (4 seconds)?

I tested making it with a key as well, and it repeated just fine once I had the key. Something's borked about how you're making these doors.

I just changed it to what you say, but I usually make them like this: 

Captura de pantalla (4337).png