Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Archanhell

So, I started to use GZDB..

8 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Try putting it in SCRIPTS instead of your other thing. I just tested those exact lines in a dummy map and it compiled with no issues.

You generally will never be doing ACS with a custom filename. Indeed, the space in the filename may well be why it's choking.

Remember: Doom limitations = 1993 limitations. 8.3 filenames. SCRIPTS.ACS works, SCRIPT01.ACS works, SCRIPTSMAP01.acs will probably die. (Technically not in UDMF, but it's much easier to assume it will.)

Basically, just put it in SCRIPTS and this way it will get saved/compiled with the map. You don't want to put it in anything else, or name it anything else.

I thought putting it on SCRIPTS would work differently, I'll try it and tell you what happens, thank you.

-Nope, still nothing.

Putting it on SCRIPTS make the same error happen on Line 10 (Which would act as Line 1)

Pressing enter to add another line and compiling gives the same error.

#include "zcommon.acs" only needs to be at the very top of the script, and only done once.

4 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

#include "zcommon.acs" only needs to be at the very top of the script, and only done once.

Oooh, okay, let me try again then...

It worked! Thank you again lol, I really have to think more about this... :p

So now that I compiled it, I can use any script there even if it's in the "same file" right?

10 minutes ago, Archanhell said:

Oooh, okay, let me try again then...

It worked! Thank you again lol, I really have to think more about this... :p

So now that I compiled it, I can use any script there even if it's in the "same file" right?

Yup. You just give your new script a new number (and whatever other conditions it needs) in the SCRIPTS file and go from there. Everything between the curly braces after the script's declaration will be considered part of that particular script. The map should refuse to save if it can't compile the script for some reason; the compiled script will become the BEHAVIOR lump in your WAD (and it will save a plaintext of the script as well).

You can actually do more advanced scripting such as libraries and/or global scripts, but for individual maps, this will do just fine.

6 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Yup. You just give your new script a new number (and whatever other conditions it needs) in the SCRIPTS file and go from there. Everything between the curly braces after the script's declaration will be considered part of that particular script. The map should refuse to save if it can't compile the script for some reason; the compiled script will become the BEHAVIOR lump in your WAD (and it will save a plaintext of the script as well).

You can actually do more advanced scripting such as libraries and/or global scripts, but for individual maps, this will do just fine.

Scripting is something complex to me, actually, I can do stuff related to mapping but programming or scripting... I'm bad at that, so I hope this is just fine for me, at least for now.

Quick question, I know I can add a Sky texture to my maps if the Ceiling has the "F_SKY 1" texture.

Can I use multiple Sky textures though? Like, on different areas, because using SKY1/SKY2/SKY3 doesn't work so I guess no matter where you are the F_SKY 1 Texture is Global and therefore doesn't allow other Skies to be used.

54 minutes ago, Archanhell said:

Quick question, I know I can add a Sky texture to my maps if the Ceiling has the "F_SKY 1" texture.

Can I use multiple Sky textures though? Like, on different areas, because using SKY1/SKY2/SKY3 doesn't work so I guess no matter where you are the F_SKY 1 Texture is Global and therefore doesn't allow other Skies to be used.

You can define new sky through mapinfo or transfer sky. Another method is replace RSKY1 and rest of three skies. 

Spoiler

map MAP01 " your map"
{
    sky1 = "your sky name here", 0
    music = your music name
    cluster = 1
}

50 minutes ago, Misty said:

You can define new sky through mapinfo or transfer sky. Another method is replace RSKY1 and rest of three skies. 

Hide contents

map MAP01 " your map"
{
    sky1 = "your sky name here", 0
    music = your music name
    cluster = 1
}

Well, one part of my Map has a Sky, but I wanted to add a secondary Sky on another area, but I guess I'd have to use one globally :p

11 minutes ago, Archanhell said:

Well, one part of my Map has a Sky, but I wanted to add a secondary Sky on another area, but I guess I'd have to use one globally :p

No. You can add sky2 in mapinfo too and apply sector thing for secondary sky.

Just now, Misty said:

No. You can add sky2 in mapinfo too and apply sector thing for secondary sky.

Sector thing? So a Ceiling like any other texture right?

Just now, Archanhell said:

Sector thing? So a Ceiling like any other texture right?

I mean, you need mark sector, open window and choose sky 2(mapinfo) where sector effects are(damaging floors, secret, ect). Sorry that I didn't explain correctly. 

Just now, Misty said:

I mean, you need mark sector, open window and choose sky 2(mapinfo) where sector effects are(damaging floors, secret, ect). Sorry that I didn't explain correctly. 

Hmm I think I understand, I may try once I get back to work, thanks 

As Misty said, you can define a second sky in your MAPINFO as Sky2. You would then normally use Sector Type 200 to define it as showing the second sky, but I'm not 100% sure if it works that way in UDMF. There might be some kind of flag to "Use Secondary Sky" or something like that instead.

More than two is also possible, but then you will either be making skyboxes, or dealing with whatever the UDMF equivalent of Static_Init is.

3 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

As Misty said, you can define a second sky in your MAPINFO as Sky2. You would then normally use Sector Type 200 to define it as showing the second sky, but I'm not 100% sure if it works that way in UDMF. There might be some kind of flag to "Use Secondary Sky" or something like that instead.

More than two is also possible, but then you will either be making skyboxes, or dealing with whatever the UDMF equivalent of Static_Init is.

So I would put for example: "Sector Type x = SKYx" or something like that, I guess?

Also, I haven't checked if there's an Secondary Sky flag on UDMF with Sectors, I have to check that out.

44 minutes ago, Empyre said:

I have a map with 6 different skies because you are visiting other worlds.  One of them is using plain F_SKY1, four of them are using Static_Init, and the other one is using SpyViewpoint and SkyPicker.

I have heard about a Skypoint thing which allows for you to add a custom Skybox using any textures you wish on flats and walls, I don't know how that works exactly and to be honest may give a weird image unless you only use the SKY textures (City + Hell Sky for example).

Regarding Static_Init and the others, Idk what they are.

7 hours ago, Archanhell said:

So I would put for example: "Sector Type x = SKYx" or something like that, I guess?

Also, I haven't checked if there's an Secondary Sky flag on UDMF with Sectors, I have to check that out.

Sky2 = "<texture>", [scrollspeed]

Again, not sure if this holds up in UDMF, but in Hexen map format, any sector given a Sector Special of 200 displayed the second sky for its ceiling. That was hardcoded, so you couldn't change what number the Sector Special was.

In UDMF, it might be a flag or something, I don't know. I haven't done much mapping in UDMF.

5 minutes ago, Misty said:

@Dark Pulse Defined sky 2 in mapinfo and sector effect 200 works in zdoom/gzdoom udmf too. I used it for my vinesauce map for secondary place. Here's link to check out:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/dlv 

Thanks. Then yeah, that's all he needs to do, set up Sky2 in his MAPINFO, and then any sector with a sector effect of 200 will use the alternate sky.

Oooooh okay! I now understand, I will try that out right now then! Thank you very much guys!

EDIT: Ok so MAPINFO has:

Sky2 = "SKYx" and no scrollspeed.

I used Sector Special 200 on a Sector which would work as a "opened ceiling", then used SKYx, but it didn't work, the texture is the same as if you'd use any other ceiling texture.

Or maybe I have to use the F_SKY1 as normal but with the Sector Special 200 it works as the secondary!

Ok I think that's it, let's see.

It worked!

I have a very good reading comprehension, pfft.

Edited by Archanhell

7 minutes ago, Archanhell said:

Oooooh okay! I now understand, I will try that out right now then! Thank you very much guys!

EDIT: Ok so MAPINFO has:

Sky2 = "SKYx" and no scrollspeed.

I used Sector Special 200 on a Sector which would work as a "opened ceiling", then used SKYx, but it didn't work, the texture is the same as if you'd use any other ceiling texture.

You don't literally put SKYx. x is supposed to represent a number. SKY1, SKY2, SKY3... as if it were the appropriate F_SKYx flat.

Just now, Dark Pulse said:

You don't literally put SKYx. x is supposed to represent a number. SKY1, SKY2, SKY3... as if it were the appropriate F_SKYx flat.

Yeah but I didn't want to say which SKY it was haha.

It worked just as you said, it was just that I used SKYx instead of F_SKYx. :p

Well, all I know is that if these lines are in your MAPINFO:

sky1 = "SKY1", 0
sky2 = "SKY2", 0

...and you have your skies set up properly, anything with F_SKY1 for its flat will show the first sky, and anything using F_SKY1 for its flat *AND* is Sector Type 200 should show the second sky.

My guess is you didn't set the ceiling of your second sky sectors to F_SKY1.

1 minute ago, Dark Pulse said:

Well, all I know is that if these lines are in your MAPINFO:

sky1 = "SKY1", 0
sky2 = "SKY2", 0

...and you have your skies set up properly, anything with F_SKY1 for its flat will show the first sky, and anything using F_SKY1 for its flat *AND* is Sector Type 200 should show the second sky.

My guess is you didn't set the ceiling of your second sky sectors to F_SKY1.

Mhm, that was my error there, I had to use F_SKY1 to make it work, and for a second I thought I did it wrong lol

25 minutes ago, Archanhell said:

Or maybe I have to use the F_SKY1 as normal but with the Sector Special 200 it works as the secondary!

Yup, you got it.  "F_SKY1" isn't any sky in particular, it just tells the game "display a sky here".  It then goes to MAPINFO or Static_Int or SkyBoxPicker or whatever to find out what sky to display.

Incidentally, if you want faster responses to your questions than a forum, I'd suggest joining one of the many Doom Discord groups.  The Joy of Mapping Discord group is especially good for helping newer mappers.

Just now, Bauul said:

Yup, you got it.  "F_SKY1" isn't any sky in particular, it just tells the game "display a sky here".  It then goes to MAPINFO or Static_Int or SkyBoxPicker or whatever to find out what sky to display.

Incidentally, if you want faster responses to your questions than a forum, I'd suggest joining one of the many Doom Discord groups.  The Joy of Mapping Discord group is especially good for helping newer mappers.

Oh, there's really a Discord for everything.

It doesn't matter if it's slow or fast but I'll join so I don't have to double post here when It's just a single line :p 

When I started using the newer versions of GZDoom builder, all I know is that the user-defined folder that has all the decorate things inside was not shown

2 minutes ago, RonLivingston said:

When I started using the newer versions of GZDoom builder, all I know is that the user-defined folder that has all the decorate things inside was not shown

Decorate things?

I never seen a folder like that before.

On 4/16/2019 at 12:12 AM, elend said:

First of all: Slopes and advanced techniques don't make a good or fun map. That is purely gameplay. Your map can even be a little ugly and / or have mistakes like texture misalignment, etc. and still be lots of fun.

Generally you have the right idea of just starting and doing something small and simple. Doom mapping is like any other skill, which means you have to actually do it and practise it to get better. Watching tutorials is one thing, but actually building something is entirely different. Imho the latter is, where you actually learn.

Other than that; There are numerous mapping tutorials on YouTube. I suggest you look for "Doom Tutorial" look at some and decide which ones are the most easy to understand and follow for you. There is Chubzdoomer, who's tutorials are really good for beginners, but also some weird tutorials, where people expect too much base knowledge from you. Just check out what works for you. I personally like the "lazygamer" tutorials, because this guy is slooow. Which is perfect for following the tutorial along.

Additionally you might want to consume as much Doom content as possible. I recommend the following series on YouTube:

- Evolution of the WAD (where famous Doom mappers talk about Doom mapping history)

- WAD Wednesday (where a bioshock level design plays random Doom maps and comments on their gameplay - very informative!)

- Vinesauce Doom Mapping Contest (yes... Lots of maps to see and hear Joel talk about)

- EllaGuros Longplays of Doom 1 and 2 where she also talks about Doom's history and the gameplay of the maps.

I am really sorry, that I can't link you directly to all these, but I am in China and my VPN on the PC doesn't work very well. xD But usually everything is easy to find. Sorry.

Sorry, my first time visiting this forum - I accidentally  clicked on 'quote' and echoed this post. Didn't mean to intrude - but I'm very glad it was this post. Lazygamer is prob just about my speed right now.. - Please excuse and thanks for understanding -

Edited by Thirdkeeper : Accidental post