Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boomslang

I need help with my wad./ doom builder.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hello, I'm very new to DOOM Wad making, and i was wondering if there's any good doombuilder tutorials i could use to help me with making my first doom wad.

If anyone wants my wad to review, i'll give you it.

but it's not fully complete.

Edited by Boomslang

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Things don't have actions. That said, that layout... are you using Doom Builder 1 or 2?

 

If so, why that and not Doom Builder X or GZDoom Builder? They're much more modernized to reflect modern source port states/features and bugfixes.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Dark Pulse said:

Things don't have actions. That said, that layout... are you using Doom Builder 1 or 2?

 

If so, why that and not Doom Builder X or GZDoom Builder? They're much more modernized to reflect modern source port states/features and bugfixes.

I'm using Doom builder 2, and i don't wanna use them until i'm more experienced with doom building..

 I was following this tutorial, and it said that it had an action tab.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

They're both pretty much identical to Doom Builder 2 in terms of how they work (GZDoom Builder Bugfix less so due to its own additions, but still 90-95% identical), so you don't really need to worry too much. Doom Builder 2 also has a nasty bug where the 3D Preview mode gets choppier and choppier the longer your PC's been on - both Doom Builder X and GZDBBF fix that.

 

Also not seeing where he's mentioning an Action tab in that video. Got a timestamp?

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Dark Pulse said:

They're both pretty much identical to Doom Builder 2 in terms of how they work (GZDoom Builder Bugfix less so due to its own additions, but still 90-95% identical), so you don't really need to worry too much. Doom Builder 2 also has a nasty bug where the 3D Preview mode gets choppier and choppier the longer your PC's been on - both Doom Builder X and GZDBBF fix that.

 

Also not seeing where he's mentioning an Action tab in that video. Got a timestamp?

it's at 1:41

 

Also, i never had that bug happen to me, maybe i'm lucky. but i'm kinda scared that my wad will get fucked up when i transfer it, so i wanna finish it on doombuilder 2.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Boomslang said:

it's at 1:41

 

Also, i never had that bug happen to me, maybe i'm lucky. but i'm kinda scared that my wad will get fucked up when i transfer it, so i wanna finish it on doombuilder 2.

I think you linked the wrong tutorial then. At that point he's talking about setting up game configurations.

 

And don't worry, you shouldn't screw anything up. WAD files are pretty structured, and any reasonable editor will know how to handle the basics just fine. If you really are that afraid, just back it up before opening it in one of the other editors.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Dark Pulse said:

I think you linked the wrong tutorial then. At that point he's talking about setting up game configurations.

 

And don't worry, you shouldn't screw anything up. WAD files are pretty structured, and any reasonable editor will know how to handle the basics just fine. If you really are that afraid, just back it up before opening it in one of the other editors.

oh, weird. 

 here it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Ahh, okay. That's a special kind of Doom map, known as Doom-in-Hexen. That allows Doom maps (and source ports that support it - namely ZDoom/GZDoom/QZDoom, possibly others) to allow you to use a scripting language called ACS, which will let you do all sorts of fancier stuff. I believe UDMF also supports that (which is yet another map format, and even more advanced than Doom-in-Hexen), as well.

 

However, Doom-in-Doom format (which you seem to be using) does not have ACS, and does not support it. Hence, you will have no Action tab.

 

You would need to convert your map to Doom-in-Hexen or UDMF in order to use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Dark Pulse said:

Ahh, okay. That's a special kind of Doom map, known as Doom-in-Hexen. That allows Doom maps (and source ports that support it - namely ZDoom/GZDoom/QZDoom, possibly others) to allow you to use a scripting language called ACS, which will let you do all sorts of fancier stuff. I believe UDMF also supports that (which is yet another map format, and even more advanced than Doom-in-Hexen), as well.

 

However, Doom-in-Doom format (which you seem to be using) does not have ACS, and does not support it. Hence, you will have no Action tab.

 

You would need to convert your map to Doom-in-Hexen or UDMF in order to use it.

but do i have to, for what i want to do?

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Boomslang said:

but do i have to, for what i want to do?

Depends. What exactly do you want to do?

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Dark Pulse said:

Depends. What exactly do you want to do?

well, i want it so when you kill the cyber demon, the level ends and you win.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Boomslang said:

well, i want it so when you kill the cyber demon, the level ends and you win.

You could use the E2M8 trick, when all cyberdemons are dead and you're using that exact map name with the doom.wad, the level will end.

However, any other map will fail to do so unless you add scripts to your map.

 

I've always used ZDoom (Doom in Hexen) format to do scripts with ACS, but there are other map formats to do so, try reading this:

 

https://zdoom.org/wiki/ACS

https://zdoom.org/wiki/A_quick_beginner's_guide_to_ACS

 

EDIT: I'm not sure about zscript being good for what you want, I believe it is a replacement for decorate and not map-only scripts?

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Boomslang said:

well, i want it so when you kill the cyber demon, the level ends and you win.

Then no, you actually DON'T need to do that - as long as you are willing to accept one of the following conditions.

  • You are having the level set on E2M8 (assuming your WAD is for original Doom/Ultimate Doom and not Doom II), or
  • You are willing to create a MAPINFO lump, which would let you use this special on any map you please with no regard to slot numbers, but would limit your map to working only in ZDoom/GZDoom/QZDoom.

Are either of those acceptable?

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, mIMAS said:

You could use the E2M8 trick, when all cyberdemons are dead and you're using that exact map name with the doom.wad, the level will end.

However, any other map will fail to do so unless you add scripts to your map.

 

I've always used ZDoom (Doom in Hexen) format to do scripts with ACS, but there are other map formats to do so, try reading this:

 

https://zdoom.org/wiki/ACS

https://zdoom.org/wiki/A_quick_beginner's_guide_to_ACS

it's on doom 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Dark Pulse said:

Then no, you actually DON'T need to do that - as long as you are willing to accept one of the following conditions.

  • You are having the level set on E2M8 (assuming your WAD is for original Doom/Ultimate Doom and not Doom II), or
  • You are willing to create a MAPINFO lump, which would let you use this special on any map you please with no regard to slot numbers, but would limit your map to working only in ZDoom/GZDoom/QZDoom.

Are either of those acceptable?

okay, what is a mapinfo lump, since my map is doom 2 exclusive.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Boomslang said:

it's on doom 2.

You will need to decide if you're fine with limiting it to the ZDoom family of engines then.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Dark Pulse said:

You will need to decide if you're fine with limiting it to the ZDoom family of engines then.

i'm fine, everyone uses those anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Boomslang said:

i'm fine, everyone uses those anyways.

Careful, not quite everyone uses those, and there's some people who will get a little irked at that. :P

 

That said, here's all the nitty-gritty details about MAPINFO, but in practice, you will only really be worrying about two properties:

  1. You will be giving the map CyberdemonSpecial, and
  2. You will be defining the CyberdemonSpecial as SpecialAction_ExitLevel.

Note that you *DO NOT* need to define each and every little property here! If all you're doing is a one-map PWAD, this will literally suffice (assuming MAP01, change if you need to):

map MAP01 "Your Level's Name"
{
	CyberdemonSpecial
	SpecialAction_ExitLevel
}

Save it as a TXT file, insert it into your WAD using something like SLADE, save the WAD, and it should do the trick.

 

You can, of course, do more if you want to. The Map Definition page has some examples near the bottom.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Note that you *DO NOT* need to define each and every little property here!

For ZDoom MAPINFO, you will need to define at a minimum a sky, a soundtrack, and a next level.

 

Otherwise the sky will be the "missing texture" checkerboard, there will not be any music playing, and when exiting the level you'll just reenter it.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Careful, not quite everyone uses those, and there's some people who will get a little irked at that. :P

 

That said, here's all the nitty-gritty details about MAPINFO, but in practice, you will only really be worrying about two properties:

  1. You will be giving the map CyberdemonSpecial, and
  2. You will be defining the CyberdemonSpecial as SpecialAction_ExitLevel.

Note that you *DO NOT* need to define each and every little property here! If all you're doing is a one-map PWAD, this will literally suffice (assuming MAP01, change if you need to):


map MAP01 "Your Level's Name"
{
	CyberdemonSpecial
	SpecialAction_ExitLevel
}

Save it as a TXT file, insert it into your WAD using something like SLADE, save the WAD, and it should do the trick.

 

You can, of course, do more if you want to. The Map Definition page has some examples near the bottom.

Oh, i have to install something? okay. i thought you could ctrl c ctrl v it into the script editor.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Boomslang said:

Oh, i have to install something? okay. i thought you could ctrl c ctrl v it into the script editor.

No, you can write it up in any old TXT editor. (I use Notepad++ myself, but most any text editor should work.) You will need to download SLADE to save it into your WAD though, but SLADE is something you will want to get if you're serious about doing mapping for Doom at any rate.

 

Script Editor is only if you are using ACS in your map (meaning UDMF or a Game-in-Hexen map format). If you aren't, you don't have any reason to touch the Script Editor.

 

(Technically you don't even need to use the Script Editor to do ACS, either, but it's handy.)

Edited by Dark Pulse

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

No, you can write it up in any old TXT editor. (I use Notepad++ myself, but most any text editor should work.) You will need to download SLADE to save it into your WAD though, but SLADE is something you will want to get if you're serious about doing mapping for Doom at any rate.

 

Script Editor is only if you are using ACS in your map (meaning UDMF or a Game-in-Hexen map format). If you aren't, you don't have any reason to touch the Script Editor.

 

(Technically you don't even need to use the Script Editor to do ACS, either, but it's handy.)

alright, where's the download link for slade?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×