Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foxysen

Heretic level - D'Spirali Hideout

I am currently not that interested in making content for Doom family games but it has always bothered me that the only portfolio, so to say, I have in Doom scene are few less than good gimmicky wads I made as a teen. Thus I made this near-vanilla single-player Heretic wad with around 40-60 minutes of gameplay. Which should be at least decent, albeit I couldn't resist from making it gimmicky anyway. I've been aiming for near-vanilla detalization and made myself a deadline that I will put only a month of work on it. I am not efficient at mapping so don't expect too much.

It's near vanilla as I made use of DECORATE in order to create a firemace that always spawn where it's placed. Not sure why Raven were freaking out over that weapon so much. Plus MAPINFO (also disables jumping and crouching). At least the map itself uses Heretic format so I sorta kept a promise to myself.

So you will have to use ZDoom family source ports. I would recommend GZDoom, maybe. Personally GZDoom on my laptop would mysteriously start to break down after 5 minutes of gameplay while playing anything until it crashed so I used Zandronum to test.

Another important thing to mention in order for you to enjoy the map fully is to have freelook enabled and autoaim disabled, as you won't be able to use firemace properly otherwise and that breaks down the balance of a map. It also starts a bit stingy on recources but I think you should be fine as long as you make use of firemace mostly (there is more ammo than you can hold at a time, so leave ammo behind) and make use of artifacts. At least my friend enjoyed it. Hope you too.

Download:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/heretic/Ports/dspiralihide

Screenshots:

DSpiraliHideoutScreen1.png.36ed0b61826727ec5cc5228f548c6c4a.png

DSpiraliHideoutScreen2.png.3f8b6bb74a5c586d97370d1a0debe8f4.png

DSpiraliHideoutScreen3.png.f2d0c1c879bd1cdebbbdc2f0f5a148f1.png

I've just noticed that the top of screens are screwed, aaaaa

Protips for cool people:
- Killing D'Spirali kills everyone else in a map. Sadly it also means ez 100% kills.
- If using OpenGL modes, then I must tell you that "Software" is the best setting for "Sector Light Mode" somewhere in OpenGL options. Simulates Software Mode light. The only reason I didn't force it is because I respect cool people.
- Tome of Power and other artifacts are there to be used, not hoarded. Final boss is less painful without Tomes, trust me.
- It starts limited in ammo, but there are a lot for firemace. So if you run out of ammo, then you are either ignoring firemace or you aren't using cool artifacts like Tome of Power.
- It's 1 hour map, so so, so save often. I don't like long maps either but it just ended up this way.
- Use that Tome of Power already, you are making me cry!

Have fun.

Looks pretty cool! Gotta see what this D'Spirali guy is all about and how he compares to D'Sparil.

I'm always up for some Heretic Maps! Screens look good! Will definitely play it when have time.

Funny: I'm so used to the "D'Sparil" name that only after @UNERXAi's reply, I notice correctly "D'Spirali" on the thread title :D

I can't way to fight this new guy!

It's times like this I wonder to myself why I bother playing anything else and should just play Heretic instead. :P

It's just D'Sparil, sadly. I only used DECORATE to make firemace always spawn. I just wanted to get a bit more creative with map name (and a reason why you are fighting D'Sparil again). Sorry about making you think that there is more to it, I did not expect that it would create such expectations.

Just now, Foxysen said:

I just wanted to get a bit more creative with map name

Oh, I though it was a typo.

I Just Finished your Map, and it was HUDGE! That's how I like it :P

It was so non-linear with multiple paths to explore. The architecture and detail is awsome and very good fight situations. I loved the presentation for the yellow key and the massive fight at the green key!

I never ran low on ammo, also I'm a cool guy, I played with the Protips in mind ;)

Some Highlights: (Spoilers ahead)

Spoiler

Screenshot_Heretic_20190418_180627.png.e3760c720b1b1dfb57031c60a55f95c4.png

That's certainly one of the best Cathedrals I ever saw in Heretic!

Screenshot_Heretic_20190418_181534.png.61e445d7020b77fcc7c7dcd4d68d79e8.png

Nice and funny way to express that! I think I share the same opinion.

Screenshot_Heretic_20190418_182401.png.885c59cedaa4205523c5d1bf04228bef.png

That was Hilarious! When I got all the way back just to find this!? Well, it was worthy :D

Screenshot_Heretic_20190418_185457.png.72b8244f079da8829d26b817574e39f8.png

Overall, even without a new Boss, it was awsome and worth my time. Good Work!

Thanks for the feedback! 2 hours, that's more than I have expected. Great to see that you have found almost all the secrets too. And I was worried about supplies as it wasn't until last version of a map that I got ammo in good amount. I think that I overdid it in the final parts anyway.

And yes, you are a cool guy, officially.