Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Wintex Help

OK, how do I add sprites and/or textures from another game into this level I'm currently building? I need to know how. Thanks.

Open up the wad containing the stuff you want to move.

Highlight what you want to move.

Click Edit-Copy entries.

Open up your own wad.

Click Edit-Paste.

Im not absouloutely sure that this works, but it should.

Uh, now how do I open up my WAD? It keeps telling that it can't open it up.

At the top of the wintex screen, see where it says "Current Game"? Under it is a small box. What does it say in the small box?

Heretic.
Keeps telling me main wad is not defined. This makes no sense.

I thought you were a DeePsea user?

If you are, then why not use the DeePsea tools? IMO, they are far easier to use, and more powerful. Especially if you haven't already gotten used to Wintex and aren't having to unlearn anything before getting used to DeePsea.

It's all under F7 in DeePsea. I don't think Wintex does anything that DeePsea can't, and DeePsea can do more than Wintex.

DooMBoy said:

Heretic.
Keeps telling me main wad is not defined. This makes no sense.

I think it does, it means that Wintex does not "find" your heretic.wad. When you look in your wintex.ini file, do you see the appropriate stuff, such as:

[MainWad]
doom2=c:\games\doom2\doom2.wad
heretic=c:\games\heretic\heretic.wad
hexen=c:\games\editors\zdoom\zdiwhack.wad
doom=c:\games\zdoom\doom.wad

Nevermind, I used the Graphics from BMPs thing in Deepsea instead. Now, I got three new entries in my wad: PNAMES, TEXTURE1 and TEXTURE2. The texture I saved as a .bmp using Wintex was a Hexen texture called W_002. How do I actually use the texture itself for a my level?

Provided you imported everything correctly, all you should need to do is open your wad with the new textures in DeePsea and your additional textures will be available in all the places you can normally change a sidedef's texture.

If you group your wad so the new textures and your level are in the same wad, then you will only need to load the one wad. If you make sure you always have group save checked when saving your level, they will always remain in the same wad. I would tend to keep the level and resources separate until the final build, and then group them at that stage using the F7 import tool. (Just a personal preference, not essential.)

From memory, the texture2 lump that has been generated is probably not needed, and will in fact be empty. I should be safe to delete it, but you don't need to. It won't cause any problems if you leave it there. I think it is generated should doom1 compatibility be needed. Doom2 only has a PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lump. Shareware doom has PNAMES and TEXTURE1. Doom registered/ultimate has PNAMES, TEXTURE1 and TEXTURE2.

For info:

PNAMES is a list of all the available patches.

TEXTURE1 is a list of all the texture definitions for doom2 or SW doom1

TEXTURE2 is a list of all the doom1 textures in the full version, but not the shareware version.

TEXTURE1 and TEXTURE2 are loaded cumulatively by doom, even if the game is Doom2 IIRC.

There is no reason why TEXTURE1 and TEXTURE2 cannot be consolidated into a single TEXTURE1 lump for a PWAD, and I think DeePsea does that when the original file has a TEXTURE1 and TEXTURE2 lump, but leaves a "place holder" TEXTURE2 lump in the WAD.

DooMBoy said:

Nevermind, I used the Graphics from BMPs thing in Deepsea instead. Now, I got three new entries in my wad: PNAMES, TEXTURE1 and TEXTURE2. The texture I saved as a .bmp using Wintex was a Hexen texture called W_002. How do I actually use the texture itself for a my level?

Insert the bitmap into your wad.

Go to the texture name edit section.

Click 'Add Patch' and enter the name of the bitmap. (this adds it to the pnames lump)

Click 'Add Texture' and enter the size of your patch into the boxes marked 'x' and 'y'. Give the texture a name in the empty box just to the left of those 'x' and 'y' boxes.

Enter the name of your patch in the first of the empty boxes below, and leave the offsets at 0.

Save it, then return to the menu displaying the lists, and click 'Save' again, choosing your pwad as the target file.

Thanks for all the help. Just a few comments:

TEXTURE2 is not created by DeePsea, if there is no TEXTURE2. Some other program put a TEXTURE2 in there.

If you use F7/Auto Textures from BMPs, you don't need to do anything else at all. The TEXTURE1 name, PNAMES, and patch name are all created at once. This was probably done - just making sure: For a lot of BMPs, do them all at once to get speedy results. DOOM palette color matching is automatic.

If the default texture name(s) created (default=name of the BMP) is not the one you want, press F7/TEXTUREx name Edit, find the name -W_002- and click "Rename Text" and press Save.

As noted, you can manually add patches directly from BMPs (or from DOOM format graphics too) and then manually create a texture. This is usually used when you have textures that are a composite of more than 1 graphic. Or if there are just few.

It's usually fastest to add the BMPS using the first method and then fine tune any graphics with multiple parts and pieces as the second step.

Thanks for chipping in there deep, hoped you'd help clear that one up. My memory was (obviously) a bit fuzzy.

What happens if I were to merge a file that had a texture1 and texture2 lump in it? I know that once I created a file to allow all the doom1 textures to be available in doom2, alongside the doom2 ones, and that after making it, there was an empty (as far as I could tell) texture2 lump. Removing that lump had no effect on the operation of the file. Unfortunately I don't remember the exact steps I used to create the WAD. It was some time ago, part of the fuzzy memory period. :-)

As I recall (and a quick check of code) it's as you said earlier. When merging multiple PWADS with both TEXTURE1 and TEXTURE2 (and PNAMES for each), the result is a merged PNAMES and all the TEXTURE2 names are merged in TEXTURE1. TEXTURE2 just has the dummy left.