• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

Issues with Boom's Deep Water Effect with a New Palette

doom05.png.1d4a43a605d3dd2b91afa604dfdcbe5a.png

Default Doom palette

doom06.png.10da54368dbb3ba4b3726589fa3b29e7.png

DM3PAL, with the deep water effect color maps from BoomEDIT.WAD... and yes, I did convert the deep water colormaps over to DM3PAL as well. Above the water everything looks fine, then this.

Has anyone ran into problems with Boom's deep water effect using a new palette?

What port are you using? Can you send a test WAD? Did you try it before converting the deep water colormap? Because, if the colors in DM3PAL are similar to vanilla, in index position, it really should look closer than your screenshot. Finally, what happens if you go full-bright with orig deep water colormap vs. converted deep water colormap (IDBEHOLDV I think)?

Posted (edited)

The only reason why DM2PAL and DM3PAL look okay for most graphic lumps is because of the included graphics (textures, sprites). 

QJomBXN.png

Just using the PLAYPAL and COLORMAP lumps from those pwads give these results

dXe8bF9.png  6WYyP9H.png

So, any graphic not included in those pwads will display incorrectly, unless they have an included palette as in png graphics for GZDoom, if one uses that game engine.

Edited by Kappes Buur

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Doom Marine said:

and yes, I did convert the deep water colormaps over to DM3PAL as well.

Are you sure about that? Your screenshot shows the telltale signs of the deep water colormap either not having been converted over to the right color palette or being malformed in some manner (not converted to Doom Flat format or some such).

I converted BOOMEDIT.WAD's seven colormaps myself and loaded them up with DM3PAL, and they work fine.

convertedcompare.png.7bf1a1454cc8422c10de14b351ed0284.png

Here's the WAD file with the converted colormaps compatible with DM3PAL. Feel free to use them:

DM3PAL_colormapfix.zip

Edited by Revenant100

Posted (edited)

The issue here is that you have to colorise the copies of the DM3PAL colormap itself, rather than convert BoomEdit's colormaps to a different palette, because the colours are in different places.

I updated DM3PAL DVIIPAL in it's own thread, to include a variety of Boom style colormap and a couple of translation tables.

Edited by Urthar

4 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

Are you sure about that? Your screenshot shows the telltale signs of the deep water colormap either not having been converted over to the right color palette or being malformed in some manner (not converted to Doom Flat format or some such).

I converted BOOMEDIT.WAD's seven colormaps myself and loaded them up with DM3PAL, and they work fine.

convertedcompare.png.7bf1a1454cc8422c10de14b351ed0284.png

Here's the WAD file with the converted colormaps compatible with DM3PAL. Feel free to use them:

DM3PAL_colormapfix.zip

I think you may have diagnosed it. I didn't convert it as a flat! Thanks.

A Doom palette variant made by Urthar, which was later renamed to DVIIPAL. See Urthar's post above for a link.