Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Crackers0106

Can't change resolution on PrBoom

So I downloaded PrBoom and noticed the screen is so small and the rest of my screen is just black, so I go into the config file to change my resolution and now when I start it up I get this error.

dsfsdfsdf.PNG.2d4d8f7fe266cfb6384d3a880d7198f5.PNG

Any help with this?

Probably going to sound stupid but, maybe change it from 1368x768 to 1366x768?

1 hour ago, seed said:

^This should fix it.

@Crackers0106 Also I wonder why are u using PrBoom instead of PrBoom+ and that too such an outdated version. Many modern maps might not work on it.

Get PrBoom+ 2.5.1.5 from here.

http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/history.html

If that doesn't work (probably due to SDL2 + ur computer is old), then try and get PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 from here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/prboom-plus/files/prboom-plus/2.5.1.4/

18 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

^This should fix it.

@Crackers0106 Also I wonder why are u using PrBoom instead of PrBoom+ and that too such an outdated version. Many modern maps might not work on it.

Get PrBoom+ 2.5.1.5 from here.

http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/history.html

If that doesn't work (probably due to SDL2 + ur computer is old), then try and get PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 from here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/prboom-plus/files/prboom-plus/2.5.1.4/

Because I was downloading every source port that runs on windows I could find, and running them through Rocket Launcher. (At least the ones it would recognize)

Also I'm running on a brand new 64-bit Windows 10 laptop I got for Christmas last year.

20 hours ago, seed said:

That's weird, I set my config file to 1366x768 because that's my resolution and it gave that error.

hhffhsjfuewjdjfjg.PNG.23b196c7e856fb8a9c9f53feb10f0678.PNG

Posted (edited)

It could be that it's complaining 1366x768 is too small instead, and wanting to set it to 1368x768.

That said, it could also be that PrBoom (the original) is also really out of date and confused as all hell with the resolution. I mean, that build date is 18 1/2 years old almost. PCs aren't even using the same video driver models they were back then, and 4:3 CRT screens still ruled the land.

Realistically, unless you've got a very heavy reason for doing so, you probably don't need to play Doom that way anymore. GLBoom or PrBoom+ will be better if you want to stick to something derived from PrBoom; if you want more vanilla limits there's always Chocolate Doom, lightly seasoned vanilla is Crispy Doom, and if you want the full-blown mods experience you'll be going for GZDoom.

4 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

It could be that it's complaining 1366x768 is too small instead, and wanting to set it to 1368x768.

That said, it could also be that PrBoom (the original) is also really out of date and confused as all hell with the resolution. I mean, that build date is 18 1/2 years old almost. PCs aren't even using the same video driver models they were back then, and 4:3 CRT screens still ruled the land.

Realistically, unless you've got a very heavy reason for doing so, you probably don't need to play Doom that way anymore. GLBoom or PrBoom+ will be better if you want to stick to something derived from PrBoom; if you want more vanilla limits there's always Chocolate Doom, lightly seasoned vanilla is Crispy Doom, and if you want the full-blown mods experience you'll be going for GZDoom.

I fixed it though by setting it to 640x480 and it looks fine now

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Crackers0106 said:

I fixed it though by setting it to 640x480 and it looks fine now

Glad u got it running. But still I recommend to get PrBoom+ versions 2.5.1.4 or 2.5.1.5 which u can get from the links I provided above. Prboom+ is extremely easy to install.

Advantages of using these over the old Prboom u are using are:

1) More updated and more features.

2) Better map Support. More modern maps would work.

3) Better resolution support. U can easily use 1336x768 or any wide-screen resolution u desire.

4) Better performance on slaughtermaps. PrBoom+ can handle high monster quantity better than the old PrBoom. 

5) Less bugs.

6) Built in basic launcher/wad selection for playing pwads

Edited by ReaperAA

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Crackers0106 said:

Because I was downloading every source port that runs on windows I could find, and running them through Rocket Launcher. (At least the ones it would recognize)

Also I'm running on a brand new 64-bit Windows 10 laptop I got for Christmas last year.

Also I have something more to say. I have never heard of this "Rocket Launcher" but I assume that it is some old/obscure Launcher for Doom. If u HAVE to use a launcher then I recommend using "ZDL", "Doom Launcher" or some other modern Launcher.

Otherwise u can even create batch files for playing wads (I personally don't use launchers).

Edited by ReaperAA

On 4/20/2019 at 6:21 AM, ReaperAA said:

Also I have something more to say. I have never heard of this "Rocket Launcher" but I assume that it is some old/obscure Launcher for Doom. If u HAVE to use a launcher then I recommend using "ZDL", "Doom Launcher" or some other modern Launcher.

Otherwise u can even create batch files for playing wads (I personally don't use launchers).

It's this if you're curious. https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36410

8 hours ago, Crackers0106 said:

I saw the thread but I couldn't get to download it (link in the OP gives a 404 error).

However upon investigation, I noticed that there exists a "Rocket Launcher 2" which is from 2016. Since that version is from 2016, it should probably support modern versions of source ports like PrBoom+ (version 2.5.1.4 of PrBoom+ is also from 2016). Maybe you should give that a try.

The thread: 

The link to .zip file is here: https://github.com/Hypnotoad90/RocketLauncher2/releases/download/0.1.0.2/RocketLauncher2_v0102.zip