Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scwiba

UNBELIEVER - a Heretic megaWAD (/idgames RELEASE!)

Great to see that this project is actually released for good after the alpha in the NaNoWADMo challenge...

Also that makes me think about that I will release my project from that challenge too... When I have the time after all other stuff i'm doing... 

3 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Great to see that this project is actually released for good after the alpha in the NaNoWADMo challenge...

Still not quite released, but finally in beta at least! 

1 hour ago, Philnemba said:

A Heretic megawad!? IS THIS A THING!? 

It is. That's the one thing going for me in the battle against Wayfarer and Faithless: quantity over quality!

Looks cool. I have played only one level of Heretic at all, none of Hexen and Strife. I have a feeling soon i will change that.

Pinch me, I am dreaming. "Heretic" and "megawad" in the same thread title. This is it, guys. Second coming of Christ. Right. F'ing. Here.

Another Heretic Project!? :O

Megawad by a Single One!?

That's freaking Unbelieveble!

It's already on my must-play list!

2 hours ago, Ryath said:

That's the one thing going for me in the battle against Wayfarer and Faithless: quantity over quality!

That's an amazing "Thing"! 3-Episode Megawads for Heretic are rare nowadays! This IS Special!

Good Work!

This looks very awesome :D
I wish i had mnore time to work on my Heretic project so that i could continue this ultra combo :DDD

I am honored to be witness to the great heretic renaissance. Lovely stuff!

Wait? There's ANOTHER Heretic megawad out (well Jimmy's isn't out quite yet)?? Well hot damn!!

Also, looks like Heretic needs its own sub-forum now eh? ;)

Played the first two episodes yesterday and the last one today. Short and sweet. Really enjoyed the various gimmicks.

Anyway: E1M2, something to neutralize the toxic sludge once you've crossed it? In case you loop back to the start because you're looking for the secret you missed?

E3M5: one of the stair blocks is missing a lower texture.

Spoiler

RKRfYiq.png

3BSPUu7.png

On 4/20/2019 at 8:46 PM, xvertigox said:

I really dig this, fun as fuck.

Glad you like it! If you've got any suggestions or find any bugs, let me now.

8 hours ago, Gez said:

Played the first two episodes yesterday and the last one today. Short and sweet. Really enjoyed the various gimmicks.

Anyway: E1M2, something to neutralize the toxic sludge once you've crossed it? In case you loop back to the start because you're looking for the secret you missed?

Thanks, Gez! That was the idea behind the ring of invulnerability in the secret that loops back to the start, but I admit it's an inelegant solution. And I'm not too keen on giving a ring that early in the episode anyway. I'll see what else I can do.

8 hours ago, Gez said:

E3M5: one of the stair blocks is missing a lower texture.

Reveal hidden contents

RKRfYiq.png

3BSPUu7.png

Dang it. I thought I caught all of those. Good find!

Is there anything special I need to do to get out of the starting area in E2M3? I can't seem to find any elevator of some kind to get out of that hallway.

The non-orthogonal SKULLSB1 wall on the north-west corner is an elevator.

3 hours ago, NightFright said:

Is there anything special I need to do to get out of the starting area in E2M3? I can't seem to find any elevator of some kind to get out of that hallway.

50 minutes ago, Gez said:

The non-orthogonal SKULLSB1 wall on the north-west corner is an elevator.

Yeah, there's no texture in Heretic that definitively says "this is a lift" the way PLAT1 does in Doom. So I tried to always use SKULLSB1 to hopefully train the player to see it as the Lift Texture. Apparently not to great success.

The added problem in E2M3 is that there isn't any good place to put a walkover trigger to lower the lift, especially without adding an extra linedef. But I'll put it on my list of things to look at and see if I come up with a better solution.

Outstanding. Still need to play the third episode, but I like rather short maps. Also I think "gimmicky" levels like this haven't been made for Heretic before AFAIK. Especially the one in which you fly almost all the time was fun. Finally the flying artifact became an essential gameplay element.

Besides this problem in E2M3, nothing major that messed with progressing through the levels. I leave the texture problem reports to others. 

I am now through the second episode and really, really like it so far. I love how tight all the maps are but especially in episode 2 the progression of the maps is just awesome. Fun, a bit tricky but not too contrived that it gets annoying. Maybe it's because I haven't played Heretic in literally ages, but I have a shit ton of fun so far. Just wanted to comment real quick, before the thread is buried in other stuff and / or this will be a necro post.

13 hours ago, elend said:

I am now through the second episode and really, really like it so far. I love how tight all the maps are but especially in episode 2 the progression of the maps is just awesome. Fun, a bit tricky but not too contrived that it gets annoying. Maybe it's because I haven't played Heretic in literally ages, but I have a shit ton of fun so far. Just wanted to comment real quick, before the thread is buried in other stuff and / or this will be a necro post.

Thank you! E2 is honestly my favorite by a long-shot. I'm most curious what everyone's reactions to E3 will be because it's so much puzzlier and doesn't have much in the way of classic combat stuff. If you give it a play, let me know what you think about it.

And yeah... I remember a time when this forum didn't move nearly so fast. Still, we're far from necro territory for the time being.

E3M1 is probably the puzzliest of the whole. The candle puzzle is very subtle (I mean, you're hunting for a one-pixel detail), and the teleport puzzle is quite annoying too (though if you've mostly solved it, then you can open the way to a secret that gives you the solution). The rest was pretty easy in comparison, IMO, so it's definitely a front-loaded episode.

27 minutes ago, Gez said:

E3M1 is probably the puzzliest of the whole. The candle puzzle is very subtle (I mean, you're hunting for a one-pixel detail), and the teleport puzzle is quite annoying too (though if you've mostly solved it, then you can open the way to a secret that gives you the solution). The rest was pretty easy in comparison, IMO, so it's definitely a front-loaded episode.

Huh. And here I was thinking that M6 and M7 were the toughest, hence why they got put at the end. And then M8 is either super hard or a joke depending on what port you play it in.

Now that you mention the candles, I'm thinking of maybe having three that you need to find instead of just the one. That would make it much more likely you'd notice at least one, and once you do you'd know what it is you're looking for. Do you have any suggestions on how to make the teleports less annoying? It's hard to judge when you know the solution by heart. Is it that there are too many steps? Five seems like it could be a little tedious now that I think about it.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

E3M1 is probably the puzzliest of the whole. The candle puzzle is very subtle (I mean, you're hunting for a one-pixel detail),

Oh come on. It's not hard to figure it out once you realize there's nowhere to go and that the candle decorations look peculiar.

For the teleports, I'd suggest using different textures for the teleporter backdrops. Currently the right path lets you see in order SPINE2->SPINE1->SNDPLAIN->SNDBLCKS->SNDCHNKS so it seems the clue is that you need to see a different texture each time. If you see a texture you've already seen, you've gone wrong -- at least I think that's the clue. This could be made more explicit by having the wrong rooms simply have CSTLRCK there.

Alternatively, you could show the texture sequence a bit before, e.g. something like this perhaps:

TNW2FS8.png

I've just noticed that in easy mode, you have some Monty Hall hint in that a block decoration will prevent one of the possible bad choices, until the switch room. However, there's a drawback to this: it's possible to get stuck behind one of them: the teleport destination in the first room, the one where you will eventually get back if you took a wrong path, is blocked by one. Moving it to the other bad choice here would solve this, but also make the clue stronger as in each time, the right path would be the one opposite to the blocker.

14 minutes ago, printz said:

Oh come on. It's not hard to figure it out once you realize there's nowhere to go and that the candle decorations look peculiar.

I was seriously overthinking it, counting the amount of candles on each stand and trying to figure out some logical progression in which they'd have to be activated. Turns out the solution is to attack a candle. (Fun fact: you can light it with your staff, too.)

5 minutes ago, Gez said:

For the teleports, I'd suggest using different textures for the teleporter backdrops. Currently the right path lets you see in order SPINE2->SPINE1->SNDPLAIN->SNDBLCKS->SNDCHNKS so it seems the clue is that you need to see a different texture each time. If you see a texture you've already seen, you've gone wrong -- at least I think that's the clue. This could be made more explicit by having the wrong rooms simply have CSTLRCK there.

Oooh, oh no. There's definitely a problem with clarity here then.

Spoiler

The solution to the teleporter maze is shown on the floors of each of those alcoves that opens. If you read them from right to left, the tridents point in the direction you go at that step. The only reason the wall textures were different in the alcoves was in an attempt to help with memorizing the sequence. "East at the skulls," "south at the big bricks," etc. Clearly I need to think on this a bit more.

9 minutes ago, Gez said:

I've just noticed that in easy mode, you have some Monty Hall hint in that a block decoration will prevent one of the possible bad choices, until the switch room. However, there's a drawback to this: it's possible to get stuck behind one of them: the teleport destination in the first room, the one where you will eventually get back if you took a wrong path, is blocked by one. Moving it to the other bad choice here would solve this, but also make the clue stronger as in each time, the right path would be the one opposite to the blocker.

Ugh. Thanks for noticing that... Would have been really embarrassing to let a bug that big slip through.

10 minutes ago, Gez said:

(Fun fact: you can light it with your staff, too.)

Hey, it's a magic staff... probably.