Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lifeform

Vanilla Doom Randomizer.

TLDR... = I want a Doom randomizer that can spawn any of the monsters in the game by any chance.

I recently came back to play old school doom, and im looking for a vanilla doom randomizer that randomly changes the spawn points of monsters.

Yes im aware of Complex Doom, clusterfuk , Scalliano's 667, colorful hell is Awesome too but that's not exactly what im looking for.

Im looking for one that just changes the monsters spawn points in a vanilla way, im not interested in ANY customs monsters i want to keep my doom experience as vanilla as possible.

The closes i got was a randomizer called ORO-RANDOM-DOOM version 3.0, but even then it has custom monsters and some of the spawn points are messed up...

I notice while playing ORO that 90% of the time im just seeing shot gunners , chain gunners, and imps as random spawns...

Im looking for something with a pure random experience, i want to see Barons of hell , Arch Viles, Revenents and Cocodemons, arachnotrons,  in the FIRST LEVEL of doom as a random spawn as well.

Well, that would be easy enough for someone to code, but you realize it'd absolutely murder any chance of actual playability, right? If you're on MAP01 and it decides to spawn Arch-viles and Revenants in place of the Zombiemen, and all you got is a chainsaw and your pistol with 50 bullets, you're boned unless you're an extremely gifted speedrunner (and maybe even then).

29 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Well, that would be easy enough for someone to code, but you realize it'd absolutely murder any chance of actual playability, right? If you're on MAP01 and it decides to spawn Arch-viles and Revenants in place of the Zombiemen, and all you got is a chainsaw and your pistol with 50 bullets, you're boned unless you're an extremely gifted speedrunner (and maybe even then).

Yeah, im well aware the nature of " BAD LUCK " but thats the whole fun of the game is how unpredictable and crazy it can get, same goes for weapons and armor... the nature of RNG makes this game Shine... you can ALWAYS start over... =)

34 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

There's also the fact that many monsters can get stuck on walls, which will also break closets.

4 minutes ago, 94's the best style said:

There's also the fact that many monsters can get stuck on walls, which will also break closets.

Very True, i never said this idea was perfect, but i think its a cool one.

All you need is a RandomSpawner that has equal chance for every monster. Then replace each one with the RandomSpawner.

If I had access to my PC right now, I could write it for you.

I could see it being easy enough to work around a lot of the gameplay issues. You could set each monster up with its own randomizer that can only randomize to a select set of monsters (e.g. Possessed could only turn into Imps or Demons at highest, but Barons could turn into pretty much anything). You could also add some weightings so a monster is more likely to turn into something similar to it. It'll keep the gameplay in line with a lot of the natural scaling most maps already have. Cyberdemons and Masterminds would be tough simply due to their size and would likely need to be excluded. A hilarious workaround would be to shrink everything down to the player's size, but it's not really vanilla at that point. Another would be to just make sure monsters can only randomize into monsters of similar size (e.g. no Imps into Pinkies).

I had a spawner I did where Doom II monsters would spawn in Doom 1 games, I tried to go by the hitbox so most wouldn't get stuck, but it wasn't always perfect. It did make Doom 1 sets pretty awesome however. Even had the SSG!

1 hour ago, Lila Feuer said:

I had a spawner I did where Doom II monsters would spawn in Doom 1 games, I tried to go by the hitbox so most wouldn't get stuck, but it wasn't always perfect. It did make Doom 1 sets pretty awesome however. Even had the SSG!

Sounds really cool, wish you could provide a download link... =)

i remember watching Vinesauce Joel play a Doom wad called "Modofun" which had random wacky weapons and random enemies like a BFG Commander Keen. Similar to what you're talking about.

4 minutes ago, Boomslang said:

i remember watching Vinesauce Joel play a Doom wad called "Modofun" which had random wacky weapons and random enemies like a BFG Commander Keen. Similar to what you're talking about.

Modofun is more Custom like... Customs Enemies, and stuff, im looking more for a traditional vanilla randomizer that does not alter the gameplay at all.

6 hours ago, Nevander said:

All you need is a RandomSpawner that has equal chance for every monster. Then replace each one with the RandomSpawner.

If I had access to my PC right now, I could write it for you.

Would Love that, im new to Doom modding and Level Editor, im not really familiar on how to use it properly.

You're not looking for level generators, are you? If so, you may want to try Oblige with ObAddon thrown on top of it. It's not vanilla compatible but at the minimum limit removing/prBoom+ usable.

13 minutes ago, Glaice said:

You're not looking for level generators, are you? If so, you may want to try Oblige with ObAddon thrown on top of it. It's not vanilla compatible but at the minimum limit removing/prBoom+ usable.

I love Oblige its Awesome, ive NEVER heard of ObAddon but thx for telling me about it, ill check it out... =)

There is a Big diffrence between a Level Generator and Randomizer.

Level Generator = It just generates Random levels and fills up the spawn points of monsters and items, in a Predictable pattern, you will ALWAYS have a Zombie Man or Shot Gunner in the Area it Spawns, same goes for items.

Randomizer Means , Exactly what it sounds, it shuffls EVERYTHING... you never know what you are going to get... if you go to that Area of that map, Instead of a Zombie Man or Shot Gunner, you Might get a Hell Knight, Revenant. Arachnotron , or any other monsters in the game... you NEVER KNOW...

Yeah, I know how it works, I'd figure it might interest you. ObAddon makes things more interesting and it's under constant development, plus I am involved in the project.

At least one of the old dos pwad launchers could do this. The one on d1000 of d!zone gold or similar. 

I'm working on a randomizer, anyone want to beta test? I hope to have something ready in a week or so.

How come nobody mentioned RanDOOM? It's a very old tool, not so stable, which replaces every thing in the map with something random, based on weight configuration files you give. It's even aware of walls, to avoid placing spiderdemons and the like in awkward places.

Downsides: hardly anyone knows of it, requires DOSBox and it's not stable at it (when I was running it under Windows 98, it would consistently corrupt the system and require a reboot).

I wish someone makes a spiritual successor to RanDOOM, which can even alter the placement of things based on artificial intelligence.

Glad to see @andrewj back at DOOM!

I hadn't heard of RanDOOM before, interesting concept.

My randomizer is a little bit smarter, after replacing the monsters and weapons it will simulate the battles and provide what it thinks is the right amount of health and ammo (replacing the existing ones).

yay! seems to be a great thing to steal, port to VaVoom C, and include in k8vavoom. can't wait to lay my hands on release source code! ;-)

p.s.: i am sux at playing doom (honestly!), so you won't get anything useful from my testing anyway. i'll be just waiting in the shadows.

On 4/28/2019 at 11:20 AM, andrewj said:

I hadn't heard of RanDOOM before, interesting concept.

It was mentioned in the "Official" Doom FAQ, and can be found on /idgames. Before the internet, I got hyped with all the information on Doom editing tools from the FAQ.

On 4/20/2019 at 4:47 PM, Dark Pulse said:

I think you could manage a generator that would give "army points" to monsters, kind of like a Game Workshop game, and the maximum army points in a given level is calculated according to the resources the player has to manage with (ammo, health, etc..).

There would still be unwinnable situations with say, a monster blocking a corridor right at the start though. But that would make it less ridiculous.

On 4/20/2019 at 7:47 AM, Dark Pulse said:

I think anyone who's played Plutonia on UV difficulty will be used to the unfair usage of mid-tier monsters on the first maps.