Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomedDude

How do you start recording demos?

I have been trying to figure out how to start recording demos since when I pressed stop recording demo and it never recorded. 

When I start up doom what do I need to input into the command line to begin recording a demo. I pressed finish recording demo for the first time and it didn't finish recording so I assume I never started recording a demo.

If you are using Prboom+, you have to make a shortcut out of the .exe -file. Then right click on the shortcut -> properties

so you see something like:

Target: D:\prboom+2.5.1.4\prboom.exe

now change it into this:

D:\prboom+2.5.1.4\prboom.exe -iwad doom.wad -warp 1 1 -skill 4 -record filename.lmp

This will use DOOM 1 as the main game, warp into episode one, map one, ultra-violence difficulty (skill 4) and will record a file named "filename.lmp"

Get ZDL and enter the parameters in the "Extra command line arguments" box. Makes things a lot easier.

the easiest way to record demos is to use batch files.

to make a batch file, just create a .txt, enter some commands, and then save it as a .bat file extension/rename the .txt to .bat

here is an example of a batch file. this will record a demo using glboom+ on doom2, map 12, called mydoomdemo:

glboom-plus -iwad doom2 -skill 4 -complevel 2 -warp 12 -record mydoomdemo

a few notes:

for this to work, the glboom/prboom+ executable, the wad files, and the .bat file have to be in the same folder. apparently you can put pathnames in but i dont bother

to record maps on custom wads, you need to include a -file command in addition to the -iwad command. here is an example if you wanted to record on map12 of sunlust

glboom-plus -iwad doom2 -file sunlust -skill 4 -complevel 9 -warp 12 -record mydoomdemo

complevel sets the compatibility settings that match the type of .wad you are using. skills set the difficulty. skill 4 is ultra-violence. most demos are recorded on skill 4 or skill 5 (nightmare!) but you can make demos on whatever difficulty you want.

once you are ready to record the demo, double click on the .bat file and it will run glboom+, and youll be in doom2. once you are finished playing, exit the game as usual. you should find a .lmp file called 'mydoomdemo.lmp' in the same directory as your .bat file.