Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boomslang

My very first doom wad!

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hello, I'm Boomslang. 

 

Yesterday, I completed my first ever Doom WAD. It was a stressful period cause the builder i was using, Doom builder 2 was so limited. so i'm gonna make my other maps using GZdoom builder.

 

 

 

I started work on  the mod in july, Being new to doom builder, i learned everything just by playing around with it, i made a few parts. but then later that month my PC died

on Christmas, i got a new computer. I then downloaded doom builder, and i got to work, I was facing a creative brick wall, and i didn't know what to do. fast forward to earlier this week, i got the inspiration to continue. and yesterday, i finally finished it.

 

 

It's a 1 map wad, singleplayer only. with a boss fight at the end. and it has 3 secrets. uses all keycards.

 

 

I'd be happy  to receive criticism about what to improve on in the future.

 

The zip file is down below.

 

VVVV

 

 

The corrupt office..zip

 

 

SCREENSHOTS

image.png.f90dfd28a17c2ba6c48492e5f35cc2bd.pngThis is the spawn point, where you enter the main facility. 

 

image.png.e264dcba76db9be9da02aac90b5298d2.pngThis, is what the inside looks like.

 

image.png.10a12974c5950866ae98228c93c144cd.png

The blue keycard on it's Pedistal

 

image.png.959f69fa1eea95ee52378dd378f56af5.pngthe main blue keycard entry way.

Edited by Boomslang : context

Share this post


Link to post

Can you please put some screenies about your wad and read this pinned post the next time you post your wad on here?

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Can you please put some screenies about your wad and read this pinned post the next time you post your wad on here?

 

i'm sorry. here, i'll post some images right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

 

30 minutes ago, Boomslang said:

i'm sorry. here, i'll post some images right now.

No problem :) By the way, I'm already playing your wad, it's solid but have a few rather annoying bugs. Will edit this post once I completed it.
I suggest you use Doom Builder X next time you want to make a map.
Also, this is a 1-map-wad right? You didn't really specify the info of the wad, even in the .txt file, so I'm a bit confused. 
I looked into the wad using DBX right after I make this comment, lol.
Anyway, my critiques about the wad (Note that I'm playing this through GLBoom+ 2.5.1.4, and it is fully-ish compatible with the engine.)
   -It's a pretty short-and-sweet map. Good for relieving stress :)
Capture1.PNG.0e65d2c9144f24a4bac12ed98faa5798.PNG
   -How on earth can this sky give me a HOM bug? Also, texture misalignment #1.Capture2.PNG.0f9a987a8e4a9e17fbe38682eaeaf83d.PNG
   -More texture misalignments.Capture3.PNG.ec83ec582a171d3159da09e5de9aaae5.PNG

     -Is the design of this door intentional?Capture4.PNG.1b15d6f66306fe573b0f72b8e6161749.PNG

    -A stucked, useless and harmless mancubus.

Capture5.PNG.dffa9f3e49678304651f9a3efe4f0db7.PNG-Another texture misalignment. This bugged me out.

Capture6.PNG.e4d93cbb3df58cba3f13a2ff427d23a7.PNG

   -I think you should stack rockets in this area and also simulate the yellow door collapsing when you open it.

That's all. Overall, good beginner wad!

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

No problem :) By the way, I'm already playing your wad, it's solid but have a few rather annoying bugs. Will edit this post once I completed it.
I suggest you use Doom Builder X next time you want to make a map.
Also, this is a 1-map-wad right? You didn't really specify the info of the wad, even in the .txt file, so I'm a bit confused.

Yes, it's a 1 map wad, sorry.

 

next time i'll give more context on what it is, i edited the page to show what was in it.

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Boomslang said:

Yes, it's a 1 map wad, sorry.

 

next time i'll give more context on what it is, i edited the page to show what was in it.

Thanks for listening! And I've also completed my review about the wad above, check it out!

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

 

No problem :) By the way, I'm already playing your wad, it's solid but have a few rather annoying bugs. Will edit this post once I completed it.
I suggest you use Doom Builder X next time you want to make a map.
Also, this is a 1-map-wad right? You didn't really specify the info of the wad, even in the .txt file, so I'm a bit confused. 
I looked into the wad using DBX right after I make this comment, lol.
Anyway, my critiques about the wad (Note that I'm playing this through GLBoom+ 2.5.1.4, and it is fully-ish compatible with the engine.)
   -It's a pretty short-and-sweet map. Good for relieving stress :)
Capture1.PNG.0e65d2c9144f24a4bac12ed98faa5798.PNG
   -How on earth can this sky give me a HOM bug? Also, texture misalignment #1.Capture2.PNG.0f9a987a8e4a9e17fbe38682eaeaf83d.PNG
   -More texture misalignments.Capture3.PNG.ec83ec582a171d3159da09e5de9aaae5.PNG

     -Is the design of this door intentional?Capture4.PNG.1b15d6f66306fe573b0f72b8e6161749.PNG

    -A stucked, useless and harmless mancubus.

Capture5.PNG.dffa9f3e49678304651f9a3efe4f0db7.PNG-Another texture misalignment. This bugged me out.

Capture6.PNG.e4d93cbb3df58cba3f13a2ff427d23a7.PNG

   -I think you should stack rockets in this area and also simulate the yellow door collapsing when you open it.

That's all. Overall, good beginner wad!

Mancubus was supposed to be hitscan

 

yes the blue door is supposed to be like that, sorry about the texture misalignments,

 

also that texture bug at the beggining doesn't happen to me.

 

also i can't fix the stair wall textures, would take a buttload of time and my ocd isn't prepared for that.

 

Thank you got for the criticism.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

I suggest you use Doom Builder X next time you want to make a map.
Also, this is a 1-map-wad right? You didn't really specify the info of the wad, even in the .txt file, so I'm a bit confused.

Well, if count and iwad isn't mentioned, I often assume that mapper did only one map using doom 2 iwad. 

 

About builders - I suggest try both to see which one suits you best. Doom builder x works the same as doom builder 2 with some fixes and additions. Gzdoom builder has cool drawing tools, which are beneficial even on classic formats like vanilla or boom. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Misty said:

Well, if count and iwad isn't mentioned, I often assume that mapper did only one map using doom 2 iwad. 

 

About builders - I suggest try both to see which one suits you best. Doom builder x works the same as doom builder 2 with some fixes and additions. Gzdoom builder has cool drawing tools, which are beneficial even on classic formats like vanilla or boom. 

 

yes, it's only one wad map.

 

I'm gonna use GZdoombuilder.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

===BUGS===

  • The initial area behind the start door doesn't have its linedefs textured at all, being a 100% void space.
    • Angle yourself right within this secret and you can see a BFG9000 that you just can't get, because the hallway to get it is too narrow for Doomguy to pass through.
  • In general, but especially in the areas behind the blue key door (starting with the blue key door itself), the doors have all sorts of doors that don't have their side linedefs lower unpegged, so they move up/down with the door.
  • Misalignments aplenty in the stairway behind the red key door, along with poor choice of texture tiling (it seems like you mostly tiled it on the Y axis, but not the X axis.)
    • Doom Builder has stuff that lets you automatically align textures.
    • Subnote for that same room: It'd be impossible to see that Lost Soul if you're not playing with Mouselook until you hear it - or it runs into you. Remember that not everyone likes playing Doom with mouselook, jumping, or crouching.

===STYLE===

  • Poor choice of textures for that opening area, with the walls behind the grates being non-textured. The grates will be fine once you put some textures on those back walls.
  • That first door into the office - the front is fine, but the whole back side of that door is way too long. You probably could've slimmed this some.
  • Speaking of slimming down some, doors tend to have not only inconsistent tracking texturing (on the sides), but also varying thickness.
    • While it's not exactly a hard-and-fast rule, most doors in Doom (even in many PWADs) stick to 16 units thick.
  • Did like the cracking you put on the floor, but it's a bit immersion breaking to actually have stuff written or arrows pointing things out.
    • A good rule of thumb with level design is "Show, don't tell." The player can figure out the blue key is there on the pedastal, and you don't need an arrow/sword/whatever that was to point them in a direction when the red key will prevent them from going further until they've got it, either.
  • Obvious Rocket Launcher trap is obvious. Thanks for the Plasma Rifle hidden behind the closet though!
  • Cyberdemon fight is pretty trivial for anyone who knows how to circlestrafe.

===IMPRESSIONS===

  • Definitely felt like a 1994 map. Rooms were huge, but didn't have many enemies in them.
  • Not actually much office space past the first area or two really.
  • Overall, a fairly typical beginner's map, but one that definitely tried and I can tell.
Edited by Dark Pulse

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Dark Pulse said:

===BUGS===

  • The initial secret behind the start door doesn't have its linedefs textured at all, being a 100% void space.
    • Angle yourself right within this secret and you can see a BFG9000 that you just can't get, because the hallway to get it is too narrow for Doomguy to pass through.
  • In general, but especially in the areas behind the blue key door (starting with the blue key door itself), the doors have all sorts of doors that don't have their side linedefs lower unpegged, so they move up/down with the door.
  • Misalignments aplenty in the stairway behind the red key door, along with poor choice of texture tiling (it seems like you mostly tiled it on the Y axis, but not the X axis.)
    • Doom Builder has stuff that lets you automatically align textures.
    • Subnote for that same room: It'd be impossible to see that Lost Soul if you're not playing with Mouselook until you hear it - or it runs into you. Remember that not everyone likes playing Doom with mouselook, jumping, or crouching.

===STYLE===

  • Poor choice of textures for that opening area, and in ports that can't handle transparent textures on middle segments of a linedef, this actually would create tutti-frutti. Play it in Chocolate Doom and you'll see exactly what I mean, so while it will "work," it won't work that well in it.
  • That first door into the office - the front is fine, but the whole back side of that door is way too long. You probably could've slimmed this some.
  • Speaking of slimming down some, doors tend to have not only inconsistent tracking texturing (on the sides), but also varying thickness.
    • While it's not exactly a hard-and-fast rule, most doors in Doom (even in many PWADs) stick to 16 units thick.
  • Did like the cracking you put on the floor, but it's a bit immersion breaking to actually have stuff written or arrows pointing things out. A good rule of thumb with level design is "Show, don't tell." The player can figure out the blue key is there on the pedastal, and you don't need an arrow/sword/whatever that was to point them in a direction when the red key will prevent them from going further until they've got it, either.
  • Obvious Rocket Launcher trap is obvious. Thanks for the Plasma Rifle hidden behind the closet though!
  • Cyberdemon fight is pretty trivial for anyone who knows how to circlestrafe.

===IMPRESSIONS===

  • Definitely felt like a 1994 map. Rooms were huge, but didn't have many enemies in them.
  • Not actually much office space past the first area or two really.
  • Overall, a fairly typical beginner's map, but one that definitely tried and I can tell.

the BFG and missing textures at the beggining were intentional, i decided to put it there as a joke.

yeah idk how to fix the door textures moving with the door. 

 

thank you for the Briticism. i'll work to fix these problems in my next wad.  oh yeah, i added that lost soul  when i didn't use mouselook, i kinda forgot to put it higher. sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Boomslang said:

the BFG and missing textures at the beggining were intentional, i decided to put it there as a joke.

A joke that will generally piss the player off and make them think your map is broken from the get-go. Not a very good impression to leave on a player if you want them to play more of your stuff.

 

And while such a tease is fine (there's other PWADs that do it too), generally speaking, it's much better to tease them with something they'll eventually get, as opposed to something there just to give you giggles. Reminds me of one level in a famous PWAD that teased you almost immediately with a Rocket Launcher, but found ways to keep you from getting it for most of the level - that's good stuff. Irritating me that I can't remember what map it is off the top of my head though.

11 minutes ago, Boomslang said:

yeah idk how to fix the door textures moving with the door. 

Texture pegging. Click a linedef and in its properties, you'll want to tick the "lower unpegged" flag. You're going to need to learn this to improve at mapping, since texture alignment for Doom is actually one of its trickier aspects to master (but the tools we got today make this a LOT easier than back then!).

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

A joke that will generally piss the player off and make them think your map is broken from the get-go. Not a very good impression to leave on a player if you want them to play more of your stuff.

 

And while such a tease is fine (there's other PWADs that do it too), generally speaking, it's much better to tease them with something they'll eventually get, as opposed to something there just to give you giggles. Reminds me of one level in a famous PWAD that teased you almost immediately with a Rocket Launcher, but found ways to keep you from getting it for most of the level - that's good stuff. Irritating me that I can't remember what map it is off the top of my head though.

Texture pegging. Click a linedef and in its properties, you'll want to tick the "lower unpegged" flag. You're going to need to learn this to improve at mapping, since texture alignment for Doom is actually one of its trickier aspects to master (but the tools we got today make this a LOT easier than back then!).

Thank youuu!!!! :D

Share this post


Link to post

I just got done playing the wad and for what it was, it's decent. I'm typically not all that judgmental when it comes to texture alignment, and usage of textures in weird areas; heck, I do it too. But I'm only critical of textures if it gets in the way of gameplay, and in some cases; it did. But enough about that, how about the game play? It was also ok. Granted, you do use chain gunners pretty liberally throughout. Also spelling out the words "exit" at the end was kind of cute.

 

One thing I did like though, was the minimalistic presentation. I opened your map up in Slade, and found out that I can quickly put my own music into the map. Some people might take offense to altering their creation in any way, but the way I see it; If I made a one map wad with the default "D_RUNNIN", and someone changed the track to their own liking; I'd be fine with it.

 

Tangent aside, don't be discouraged by criticism, and-OH! I almost forgot! I didn't get the name of who it was, but someone once gave me the advice: "When making a wad, ask yourself; would you play it again?" That's all. :^)

Slade.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Memerz1 said:

I just got done playing the wad and for what it was, it's decent. I'm typically not all that judgmental when it comes to texture alignment, and usage of textures in weird areas; heck, I do it too. But I'm only critical of textures if it gets in the way of gameplay, and in some cases; it did. But enough about that, how about the game play? It was also ok. Granted, you do use chain gunners pretty liberally throughout. Also spelling out the words "exit" at the end was kind of cute.

 

One thing I did like though, was the minimalistic presentation. I opened your map up in Slade, and found out that I can quickly put my own music into the map. Some people might take offense to altering their creation in any way, but the way I see it; If I made a one map wad with the default "D_RUNNIN", and someone changed the track to their own liking; I'd be fine with it.

 

Tangent aside, don't be discouraged by criticism, and-OH! I almost forgot! I didn't get the name of who it was, but someone once gave me the advice: "When making a wad, ask yourself; would you play it again?" That's all. :^)

Slade.PNG

oh i see, thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Boomslang said:

the builder i was using, Doom builder 2 was so limited. so i'm gonna make my other maps using GZdoom builder.

 

148AE3CC-3C6F-47AF-A495-19EFE81F1037.gif.ef544f38598218d8b00725c1ff5fbe66.gif

How people like me who started off using DoomCad, WadAuthor and other old editors react to this statement :)

 

Since others have already left detailed feedback and criticism, I’ll just pipe up to say that this reminds me of my earlier maps in a big way. Making the switch to GZDB is a good idea too, we could never have imagined such a robust and versatile tool in the early 00s and late 90s. Doom Builder 1 in 2005 was a godsend!

 

I hope to see more from you at some point in the future, keep it up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

For a first-time map, this isn't half bad.  I see a lot of mistakes most all people who are new at making maps make, but apart from those, this isn't at all a bad effort.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Suitepee said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/414974577

 

Playtested this FOURTH during the livestream. Some quirky detailing here and there, and was a bit disappointed in the painfully easy last room, but overall a decent effort for a first wad.

Thank you!!! :D

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×