Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

1994 Reasons to play Doom

So this thread will be where I put up some UDoom speedmaps using stock textures and keeping the detail level very low and looking like they could have been made in '94.  I'm going to try to bring back the charm of maps from that era without the bad texturing and silliness that we generally remember from those maps.  Probably going to have at least one whole episode if not more worth of these.  Built this map in about 2 hrs and runs on e1m1, boom compatible.  Enjoy! 

doom02.png

doom03.png

doom04.png

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mv8d8z1k3sqn637/1994Reasons.wad/file

Edited by General Rainbow Bacon

As a fan of 1994 maps I did enjoy this. The texturing choice was on point and the map itself was fun. I'm keen to play more of these as you release them. No issues found in Chocolate Doom.

Neat little map, had fun playing it. I'm also looking forward to more of these :) Worked in gzdoom 4.0.0 with no issues.

i like this map, thank you! good old-school gameplay, nice old-school design. definitely worth a megawad, i think! anyway, i'd be glad to play next maps in the series. pure old-school fun, one can't get enough of this! ;-)

fun little map, in that room with the lowering imps there are untextured walls. 

it is... scary. and i must confess that i sux at even a simpliest puzzle map. here, i stuck after yellow door -- what i supposed to do next?

still, i liked the map. having one puzzle map between three or something action maps is a nice change of tempo, i think.

After the yellow door, you have to go into the teleport that will take you into the middle area of that room and find a switch that raises the bridge.  Then you need puzzle out how to open the exit area.  You have to shoot something, think about what you shot at the very beginning.

ah, it seems that i missed the switch. i was running around in circles, but didn't noticed it. didn't i said that i sux even at simple puzzles? ;-)

E1M2 was sweet, the 94 feel was great. The difficulty increase was appreciated too. You working on more?

Funny maps, really bring back the 1994 maps aesthetics and felling, there's that doombuilder 2 default CEIL1_1 ceiling... but, eh, who cares.

Let's imagine it was made using medieval theme default from DCK (yeah, it's true, afaik from my early experimenting with old dos editors, DCK have various defalt theme to choose for your map) ^_^

Here's a FDA for E1M2 recorded with vanilla doom.exe (1.9) on dosbox, various deaths and abrupted for some reason i didn't get after entering the yellow key door, recorded a demo for E1M1 but it didn't come out for some reason:

fda-walt-1994reason-e1m2.zip

hope this demo will work on more advanced ports too!