Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
termnus77

Creating animated intermission screens

Hello folks,

I'm looking for some pointers as to how to actually create an intermission screen akin to the ones used in E1-E3 and the one created for E4. I know i need to use an intermission script which i have figured out, but now its a case of creating the actual art for them. The only posts i have found have mentioned things like Wintex, Paintshop Pro and Photoshop to create the intermission screens but the posts are from 2002.

Is this still the case or is there another way to create them now?

I only ask because i have no artistic skill whatsoever but would like to create an intermission screen for The Lost Missions (The Jupiter Episodes) as well as Classic Episode Part 1 and 2 for me and some friends.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Edited by termnus77

For creating the actual art, use whatever art program you are the most comfortable with. It can be Paintshop Pro or Photoshop, but it can also be Paint.NET, Gimp, whatever.

Once you have made your art bits, you can use SLADE 3 to put them in-game. Note that the only ports that can handle intermission scripts at the moment are ZDoom-based, so you can use PNG graphics.

Seems simple enough. Just need to figure out how to make the animated parts of the art now.

In regards to SLADE3 i presume you mean adding the intermission script etc and the various components of the screen like the level name and actual background image into the WAD?

If you have an old tutorial that mentions Wintex, SLADE 3 is basically the modern equivalent of Wintex. You use it to construct or edit lump data in WADs.

1 hour ago, termnus77 said:

Seems simple enough. Just need to figure out how to make the animated parts of the art now.

In regards to SLADE3 i presume you mean adding the intermission script etc and the various components of the screen like the level name and actual background image into the WAD?

Correct. Since you're limited to ZDoom, you don't even really need to make the graphical lumps - when you set up your MAPINFO, you'll name your levels there, and ZDoom will construct the graphics out of them.

This interests me.

I'd like to know if a doom 2 intermission map still exists or not.

Cuz i know the one from 2014's never gonna get revived

4 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Correct. Since you're limited to ZDoom, you don't even really need to make the graphical lumps - when you set up your MAPINFO, you'll name your levels there, and ZDoom will construct the graphics out of them.

I guess that means i can remove the level names from the images section of the WAD if ZDoom can build their own?

47 minutes ago, StalkerZHS said:

This interests me.

I'd like to know if a doom 2 intermission map still exists or not.

Cuz i know the one from 2014's never gonna get revived

I plan on getting some Doom intermission art done first for those 5 episodes then move on to Doom 2, especially considering I'm trying to build 'episodes' out of Master Levels and No Rest for the Living. Some of those may be easier said than done however.

If i can make (or find someone who has some talent) some intermission maps for Callisto, Io and The Red Spot then I'll at least have some idea how to approach Classic Episode part 1 considering it crosses from Mars, Deimos and Hell in the space of 9 maps.

Edited by termnus77

2 hours ago, termnus77 said:

I guess that means i can remove the level names from the images section of the WAD if ZDoom can build their own?

Correct.