Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nonya

Doom version 1.666 with everything

I was doing some cleaning and found a copy of the original Doom. All 4 Floppy Disks are included, the instruction booklet + pages for installation, and even the "Thanks for purchasing a registered copy..." letter.

I can't seem to find any information on a value for this so I was hoping this forum might be able to help me out. It was purchased in Australia if that makes a difference.

Everything is in near perfect condition, apart from the box (not pictured) which has a couple of scratches on it.

57602659_415126045944127_2520385919958122496_n.jpg

Probably a decently good price, especially due to the good condition. But more as a historical artifact as opposed to something you'll actually want to play on, obviously.

If you get a USB Floppy reader and run a VM to get the game installed, you'll be able to see if they got corrupted over the years, and if not, verify the hashes on the EXE and WAD.

(If the floppies are good, I'd back them up as well. 25 year-old magnetic media, after all.)

No thoughts on price, but given their age I'd suggest reading them in a physical device as little as possible, to reduce the risk of damage. If anyone actually wants to play version 1.666, then there are downgrade and upgrade patches for that (including this formerly rare one that we were lucky enough to find).

Oddly enough, I came across a floppy in my closet containing the Doom shareware. Unable to verify the version or even run it (I don't think I have a USB floppy drive), but it seems to be from early 1994 so it has to be an early version.

25 minutes ago, Smight said:

I never seen this stuff just remember all the floppies and a readme sheet of white paper....lucky you to find this buried

On topic, I think that find is really cool.  There are a wide variety of prices on Ebay for such an item.   Not sure what the correct range or price would be.

Off topic, Smight.  Holy crap.  What a legend of the game.  A legend before most of us even played DOOM.  Thanks to Bahdko for sharing several of your amazing performances.  Okay, I can turn off fan-starstruck-mode now...

I've still got my boxed copy of Doom II somewhere, complete with the floppies it came on. But never bought Doom until it was packaged as part of Collector's Edition. Only boxed copy of Doom I have in any capacity is the GBA port.

Might I ask, what's the capacity of these floppies? I never had a licenced floppy game and wonder did they use standard floppies or are they more or less capacious.

On 4/22/2019 at 11:14 AM, Opulent said:

On topic, I think that find is really cool.  There are a wide variety of prices on Ebay for such an item.   Not sure what the correct range or price would be.

Off topic, Smight.  Holy crap.  What a legend of the game.  A legend before most of us even played DOOM.  Thanks to Bahdko for sharing several of your amazing performances.  Okay, I can turn off fan-starstruck-mode now...

Just to clarify, this is not the same Smight who used to be around a long time ago, it’s a surprisingly common screen name.

I wonder if Nonya ended up selling this and if so, how much they got for it? It’s pretty hard to find certain versions of Doom these days, especially boxed floppies with all the original papers and stuff. If I had a bit more spare cash I’d love to have something like that around.

8 hours ago, Smight said:

I got my 1.666 ver on floppies after all these years....I read that it is not the official ver. Is that correct?

There was a version of Doom 2 1.666 leaked shortly before official release. id considers this a bootleg version, as it is not compatible with their patches.