Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DJMadMax

Using multiple WADs for mapping and easily saving them into one big file?

Hi there dear DooM-folks,

maybe it's been asked a thousand times before but since i'm pretty new to the "modern" ways of mapping and editing of DooM, I will just ask another time :)

I'm getting used to GZ DooM Builder and so far everything works fine. My question now is, when i'm using another ressource-WAD, for example with additional textures, is there any way that i can save those "in my level"-used textures automatically into my map-WAD or do I have to do it manually with - for example - Slade for every additionally used texture in my map? That might be a lot of work.

Another solution would be to supply all those additionally used WAD-files with my map but i dont think that this is very "plug and play".

As always, thanks in advance for your answers :)

You can store them per-map if they're individual map WADs, but if you're making a Megawad where all the levels will eventually get merged into one wad, you'll have to compile them all into the final megawad as well.

Alternatively, you can make a WAD that's *JUST* the textures, and compile those into its own WAD, but then your maps will not work properly without loading the texture WAD as well.

But still i will have to do this with every single texture, dont i? For example, if i want to use the waterfall texture from plutonia.wad, do i have to extract and re-import it manually or is there any way that GZ Doom Builder can do this on its own by checking which textures arent in the doom2.wad for example?

It can tell you what resources you're missing if it detects any (F4 for that), but it can't replace them for you with anything but a default texture.

This means I can design my level so far but when it comes to finalizing, I should probably run a map-check (F4 as you mentioned) and add all the missing textures (when I remove the additionally used WAD/PK3 ressources) manually into my map-WAD.

Thanks alot :)

Slade has an option to remove unused textures automatically, but not one to import missing textures automatically.

The way I handle this is to keep the maps totally separate from all other resources.

So, you'll have WADs with only map related lumps (i.e. the MAP01 WAD is ONLY map lumps) and then 1 master WAD or PK3 with all your other resources (such as text lumps, sounds, textures, etc.).

Include this master WAD as a resource in GZDB so any map you make has access to everything. If you need a new texture, add it to the master WAD only.

Now it's time to use SLADE. When you are done mapping and ready to compile for testing as 1 file, open the master WAD and then open your map WADs one by one and copy the map data into your master WAD. When finished, save as a NEW WAD. Do not save over the same WAD.

Hope this helps. Also remember to keep backups! Preferably in multiple locations.