Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Master O

Dante Alighieri's "The Divine Comedy"

I could not get into it and I couldnt get into paradise lost. Though I have read the scriptures front to back at least a couple of times ;) Honestly, fuck Shakespeare and everything from that era that isnt the KJV or actual science.

I think horror and scifi literature informs DOOM more than the classic treatises on damnation. I cannot see how the divine comedy influenced SP levels, honestly. But maybe I am wrong. The thing is that it is a metaphysical treatise and not like something with regular narrative and I cannot see how to exploit that with level design.

The extended universe to the bible sucks. So does the extended universe to star wars. I think DOOMers take more inspiration from not-extended-universes.

Edited by Mk7_Centipede

I have read it some years ago. Inferno was kind of interesting, but Purgatorio and Paradiso was boring, and a pain in the ass to read.

E3M8 Dis was named after hells capital in the divine comedy. E3M7 Limbo was named after the first circle of hell in the divine comedy. Its a stretch calling it a influence since its just a reference. 

I read Inferno relatively recently.  It mostly came across of 300 beautifully written pages of Dante throwing shade on people he didn't like.

"And lo, what tutored soul is this writhing in Satan's delight?

Why, it's that prick who stole 5 quid from me in the pub late last night!"

The imagery was very evocative, but it was rather undermined by yet another long passage about all these people from 16th century Florence who were mean to Dante.

I feel I have the duty to read both the Divine Comedy and Paradise Lost, translated to my language, if only to be able to properly translate the Doom strings for the GZDoom localization project. Several places get different names, such as Dis (which may sometimes become "Dite"), so I'd rather get the translated name instead of a amateurish copy.

3 hours ago, Bauul said:

"And lo, what tutored soul is this writhing in Satan's delight?

Why, it's that prick who stole 5 quid from me in the pub late last night!"

ROFL