Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomerNL

Zdoom VS Gzdoom and Prboom(old) question

I have a question

That i like to know more about 

Whats the difference between zdoom and gzoom?

I know zdoom is cpu render and gzdoom is opengl but doesnt that mean that gzdoom is less performance heavy?

I guess thats not true because zdoom runs on the raspberry pi 3 over 100fps but gzdoom doesnt run at all very choppy so seems confusing so zdoom is less performance heavy then?

Doesnt make sense haha

Also is Zdoom still a decent port to use now a days? 

I see some people prefer it over gzdoom but why? 

Isnt it outdated???

And same thing with prboom and prboom plus..

Prboom runs great on the pi again or computers with very little specs but prboom plus needs more power.

Do people even use the old prboom still??

I wish there was tech savy dude out there somewhere who could make a dedicated doom port just for ARM cpus..

cuz currently thats where i have been dooming on but on older ports :(

seems like no one cares to update it

If you check retropie forums theres alot of us doomers on the pi but i guess old ports are good enough for them just dont get why its capable of newer ports if some one works on it ...

Anyways sorry long post mainly just curious of the difference and why people prefer the older one over the newer

Basically, ZDoom is long 'dead' source port. It's last update was year ago or so. That's first

GZdoom supports huge amount of features these days that allow you to, literally, create your own game thans to GPL licence and open source code, with prretty decent possibilities that not every modern engine might have even now.

1 hour ago, DoomerNL said:

Do people even use the old prboom still??

Everybody use PrBoom+. It's pretty newer, and have much less problems with.

GZDoom is the continuation of ZDoom. It features hardware-accelerated renderer, yes, but you can also still use ZDoom's software renderer.

Poor performances on Raspberry Pi may be because it doesn't really have hardware acceleration, so the GPU has to be emulated in software, and it's not very efficient.

I've often seen people using just "PrBoom" when they actually mean "PrBoom+" so it's hard to say if the old PrBoom is still actually used by many.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Gez said:

GZDoom is the continuation of ZDoom. It features hardware-accelerated renderer, yes, but you can also still use ZDoom's software renderer.

Poor performances on Raspberry Pi may be because it doesn't really have hardware acceleration, so the GPU has to be emulated in software, and it's not very efficient.

I've often seen people using just "PrBoom" when they actually mean "PrBoom+" so it's hard to say if the old PrBoom is still actually used by many.

Ah ok i guess im limited to zdoom then on the pi it does run great tho..

I heard prboom+ works on there too id have to look into it not sure how it all works yet but thanks for the info

Zdoom pretty much inferior to gzdoom or are they both similar with exeption one uses hardware accelaration?

The last ZDoom release was 3 years ago so obviously it is missing all those 3 years of development.

4 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

The last ZDoom release was 3 years ago so obviously it is missing all those 3 years of development.

Why did they stop? Zdoom is great... gzdoom is great too but i have no idea how to compile it on retropie lol

58 minutes ago, DoomerNL said:

Why did they stop? Zdoom is great... gzdoom is great too but i have no idea how to compile it on retropie lol

Randi decided she didn't have the interest in it anymore, and so stopped development.