Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kris

Got DooM? I DO!!! Yeah!

Well, the UPS guy dropped off my 2 Doom games yesterday, when I wasn't home. When I got back, what a suprise! So, i took the games inside. I installed Doom first, then installed Doom2. I started up Doom95. I clicked on Launch Game. Then the game started up. The graphics, needless to say, weren't too hot, but, hey, this was made in '93. What I love is the gameplay itself. Tense and terrifying. I somehow made it to E1M3. Now I can't figure out how to get anywhere. But that's because I'm a new DooMer. I haven't gotten around to playing Doom2 just yet.
Once again, COOLNESS!!!!!!11

Well, the UPS guy dropped off my 2 Doom games yesterday, when I wasn't home. When I got back, what a suprise! So, i took the games inside. I installed Doom first, then installed Doom2. I started up Doom95. I clicked on Launch Game. Then the game started up. The graphics, needless to say, weren't too hot, but, hey, this was made in '93. What I love is the gameplay itself. Tense and terrifying. I somehow made it to E1M3. Now I can't figure out how to get anywhere. But that's because I'm a new DooMer. I haven't gotten around to playing Doom2 just yet.
Once again, COOLNESS!!!!!!11

Welcome to the fold, Kris. I hope you become addicted to Doom the way the rest of here at DooMWorld have become, including me.

Hiya Kris, there is a lot you could do to catch up on. First and foremost, the original exes and Doom 95 are both terribly outdated.

If you want to get a really good Doom experience, with high resolutions and all sorts of new nifty features, you should get yourself a copy of ZDoom or Legacy. Both are source ports of the original Doom and are quick downloads, just put them with your existing copies of Doom and run them instead.

Legacy and ZDoomGL also support OpenGL... so if you've even got a Voodoo 3 (like me) you can run Doom in 1280 by 1024 at smooth-as-silk framerates with filtered textures/sprites if you wanted.

There's more. There are many demos you can kick back and watch, and COMPET-N is one of the many repositories of them. You can sit back and watch someone hammer through the entire Doom in under fifteen minutes. =)

Also, if you're into playing Doom with/versus other people on the Internet you should snag yourself a copy of ZDaemon.

Or you could just hang out here and listen to what we have to tell you about it. =P

If you have any questions, like how to get that 'blue orb' on E1M3, feel free to ask.

I recommend Legacy to start with...less screwing around than with ZDoom...And the CD Audio's good, too. Although I personally hate Zdoom...But Legacy's good to start with for source ports. And if you ever get into editing, i HIGHLY recommend EDGE, even though you can't save with it.

Don't use the new legacy with doom2. It takes all my weapons at the intermission screens.

The only thing legacy is good for is the (not so special) eye candy, and the level editing features, and I have yet to see a level for legacy that uses any of the cool editing features that are in it, first off it screws up the lighting badly (no more darkness people) and makes everything look like it was just painted there with no light sourcing whatsoever, and the sound is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE, and the chasecam sucks royal balls.

/me takes $500 bribe from Randy Heit

Err, yeah welcome to doom, watch out for them commander keen d00ds, they might try to swingkikc you in the cow.

Getting to experience what the rest of us only have faint memories of... only this time with ZDoom or JDoom...

/me goes to change shorts.

/me goes to change shorts.

Sorry, I stole your shorts and sold them to a fat girl at my school.

Hm... damn it, the rest of my pants are dirty... now I gotta do laundry... you know how I hate doing laundry.

Well, this has nothing to do ZDoom or Legacy or whatever. I am just wondering what's the best way to play Doom with the Keyboard? I got run and shoot down, but I keep forgetting the strafe button!

BTW, I've only made it E1M8-Phobos Anomaly or something like that. Hard to believe that I've never seen this sh**!!

BTW, I've only made it E1M8-Phobos Anomaly or something like that. Hard to believe that I've never seen this sh**!!

Haha, wait 'till you get to Inferno - or E2M2 and E2M7.

This is amazing that this community is actually welcoming this newbie in a civilized manner (and this isn't an ordinary newbie, he's new to the entire game). Nice job. /me applauds.

Also, if you're into playing Doom with/versus other people on the Internet you should snag yourself a copy of ZDaemon.

Or if you're like me and your connection sucks you should get a copy of Skulltag. It has different game modes, new weapons and items, and most important of all: BOTS! :)

Well, this has nothing to do ZDoom or Legacy or whatever. I am just wondering what's the best way to play Doom with the Keyboard? I got run and shoot down, but I keep forgetting the strafe button!

If you can get used to the mouse, do it. But if you're like me and can't then stick with the oldie controls (Crtl-Alt-Shift-Arrow Keys). They're simple and it takes a fair amount of skill to master them. Anyways ALT should be strafe.

Haha, wait 'till you get to Inferno - or E2M2 and E2M7

E2M2 is an all time classic. Must play.

BTW for perhaps the best graphically enhanced DOOM port use JDoom. Also try to get the MP2 models. Good luck on getting them to run though (I can't only because my graphics card blows).

Or if you're like me and your connection sucks you should get a copy of Skulltag. It has different game modes, new weapons and items, and most important of all: BOTS! :)

Hmm, I've seen better bots. For the hardest bots, grab OPNDoom. It also has a very stable peer to peer connection, from what I've heard.

Make sure after you play for a while you start upping the difficulty level.
Trust me it's much more fun.
And since your new try saving alot to avoid frustration

I wish I could have played Doom for the first time in high-resolution JDoom with a great wavetable sound card and headphones, on a 19-inch monitor... I can do that nowadays of course, but in 1994 I would have had a heart attack and died.

but in 1994 I would have had a heart attack and died.

And saved us so much problems....

Anyway, yeah, he's experiencing some top-quality DooM feeling right now, but I guess it's somehow tainted by modern games. Back then Doom was revolutionary both on graphics and gameplay, but now...

but I guess it's somehow tainted by modern games. Back then Doom was revolutionary both on graphics and gameplay, but now...

It all depends, in my case I still think old SNES and SegaCD games like Zelda, Lunar, Silpheed and all those have way much more feel and originality to them than modern games, and are also a lot more fun just because of the fact that they are classic and still so well-done.

E1M8? That's one of the veteran doomer's most nostalgic experiences.

E1M8-God, the memories...
I really do envy you.
Just wait to you get to E2M1-Deimos Anomaly. I also think you'll like E2M2-M9, all the way through.
E3 is also fun.

Why?

Why?

Because it's the last level?
Because of the barons? And the last room?

I myself tried to *pass* the level for quite a while, until I realised that that text in the end does mean that I passed it :)

I couldn't stop replaying that part until I killed all the monsters. Then I discovered about the pool of slime you're on and gave up :)

Oh yes...but there was no way to tell that you were being damaged by the floor, unless you killed enough enemies.