Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crazyflyingdonut

Has anyone tried SFC/SNES Doom with HD Mode 7 yet?

So I heard that recently, a HD version of Mode 7 recently came out. Since the SFC/SNES version of Doom had Mode 7 and it looked terrible, does that particular version of Doom look any better on HD Mode 7?

Does it work for Super-FX stuff like Star Fox? If not, Doom would be too much for it, but it could at least improve the Wolf3D port.

EDIT: Having quickly checked out the Vinesauce stream where Joel showcases it, it doesn't do anything for Star Fox or Doom.

Edited by SiFi270

2 minutes ago, GuyMcBrofist said:

We learned something with this thread.

Yep, I learned that I probably shouldn't breed. We don't need any more people as stupid as I am.

26 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Yep, I learned that I probably shouldn't breed. We don't need any more people as stupid as I am.

Woah, bro. What's with the negativity?

You asked a question in earnest. It was answered. That's all there is to it, and basically not an improper use of a forum such as this; even if the answer was something you could've found out (theoretically), you shouldn't take it so harshly.

Why do people think SNES Doom was rendered with Mode 7? It wasn't, guys. Mode 7 allows for transformation of a static piece of art, it has nothing to do with the 3D rendering that the SuperFX does. The blockiness in SNES Doom was due to it running at a really low rez and getting stretched up, not Mode 7.

(For those who are saying "F-Zero wasn't static," that was done via palette changes, not actual sprite-style animation.)

3 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

Woah, bro. What's with the negativity?

You asked a question in earnest. It was answered. That's all there is to it, and basically not an improper use of a forum such as this; even if the answer was something you could've found out (theoretically), you shouldn't take it so harshly.

The reason I called myself stupid was because I had accidentally posted this on "Doom General" instead of "Console Doom", and I hate it when I make mistakes, considering that I am a mistake myself. I could go on a long and detailed explanation for the reason why I am so negative containing multiple paragraphs, but that would kind of be a tl;dr thing nobody wants to read. And I'm sure I've already brought it up to some extent on the Internet, whether it be on Doomworld, or Twitter, or some of those sites that I don't go to very often, like ZDoom Forums.

6 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

The reason I called myself stupid was because I had accidentally posted this on "Doom General" instead of "Console Doom", and I hate it when I make mistakes

"I hate being human"

Anyone who says they don't make stupid mistakes every now and then is a liar.

2 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

"I hate being human"

And not human, because humans are inherently imperfect.

6 minutes ago, GuyMcBrofist said:

@crazyflyingdonut You just might have the foundations for a nice, dark sense of humor.

Maybe, I haven't quite figured that out yet. I do these things for a reason I don't know... I also can't figure out what motivates me to do these kinds of things. And, I can't decide whether they are shitposts or if I'm trying to be "funny". What I'm trying to say is, this could happen again. If you like some of the things I say, try following me on Twitter where I occasionally post that kind of content too.

5 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

In your quote, you cut off the rest of the sentence when you quoted me, where I said that I was a mistake. That wasn't a lie. I don't know why you're trying to censor certain information that could actually be useful and beneficial. You're trying to please a crowd of people who don't like reading even 1 paragraph with you cutting off the most important parts.

3 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

In your quote, you cut off the rest of the sentence when you quoted me, where I said that I was a mistake. That wasn't a lie. I don't know why you're trying to censor certain information that could actually be useful and beneficial. You're trying to please a crowd of people who don't like reading even 1 paragraph with you cutting off the most important parts.

Stop putting yourself down for stupid little mistakes anyone can make. It's actually less useful to hear you think about how you're a waste of wife or whatever, because then it just makes me want to put you into a hospital for a mental health check.

5 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Why, so they could put me to sleep?

No, so that they can get you the help you clearly need if you're going to say "I shouldn't have been born" for posting a thread in the wrong section of an online forum.

Good god, man. If that's how you react to failure, you're going to wind up exactly like someone else I know who sounds scarily similar to you - doing nothing because they view failures and mistakes as bad things as opposed to something that's inherently human and, in the case of the former, actually needed to succeed in life, because you can't succeed without failing over and over again.

Quit acting like you started a hundred-car pileup on the freeway. You posted in the wrong forum. Big deal! Someone will move it and, if this crap continues, lock the topic because putting yourself down publicly does nothing for the good of the forum, or for discourse of if something like this would be possible in some other way or whatever.

2 minutes ago, GuyMcBrofist said:

@Dark Pulse I'm not sure if reprimanding him is the right strategy to go with here...

For someone who says they shouldn't have been born simply for posting in the wrong forum?

You don't fix that behavior by pretending like it wasn't said.

Truth hurts sometimes, but in the end, what he needs is support. Telling him not to beat himself up over a tiny mistake isn't reprimanding him. I'm telling him that it's the sort of mistake he should shrug from and move on - if he's beating himself up over little, unimportant stuff like that, I'm afraid he's just going to completely fall apart when he fails at something else.

I've seen what that does to people. And I don't want him ending up like the other person who I referenced.

Nobody's pretending it wasn't said. I just don't think he's going to take any harshness about it in a good direction, it's happened before already. Your post doesn't come off as supportive if you ask me.

Anyway, I don't want the conversation to steer in a direction as if he's not here reading. @crazyflyingdonut, you'll figure it out.

For what it's worth, someone reflecting on his mistakes is worth more than all these assholes who are the center of the Milky Way. Also I did think SNES Doom was using Mode 7 so I learned something with this thread. Make babies too actually.

to be fair Doom is using Mode 7, but not in a way that is improved by the "HD Mode 7" thing. Mode 7 was a fairly typical graphics mode to get an effective 8-bit framebuffer with pixel doubling (using its scaling features).

So yeah nothing too excited, but it technically is using Mode 7. heh. All Mode 7 is at the end of the day is another graphics mode for the SNES, it doesn't need to use any of the scaling and rotation features.