Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NitR0US0XidE

Transparent Doors

Hey, maybe I'm just behond the times in editing or something, but does anyone know how to make a door semitransparent (i.e., with a grating or patially transparent texture)? I've seen it done, and I already know how to do a completely transparent door, I just want to try it like this. Any help would be appreciated.

NitR0US0XidE

um,

ok make a door frame between your two sectors. Inside this door frame (say it's 128x64, 0-128 floor/ceiling) draw the door sector. take it as close to the walls as possible, but don't cross lines or connect the door sector to the doorframe.
Give the door sector 0-1 floor/ceiling. The door sector cannot be zero tall, or engine draws a column and the effect won't work.
Apply your grate texture to the middle section of the door, not the top section like usual. Make sure to texture all four linedefs that make up the door sector this way, and give them all 128 y offsets.

If you followed directions well, you will have a rippin transparent door thingy.

Use3D said:

The door sector cannot be zero tall, or engine draws a column and the effect won't work.

There are several ways to do this (in stock DOOM - the transfer heights in BOOM/ZDOOM is better though) and you can have a zero tall sector. It's just that the door floor/ceiling has to be 1 unit higher than the sector it's buried in.

NitR0US0XidE said:

Hey, maybe I'm just behond the times in editing or something, but does anyone know how to make a door semitransparent (i.e., with a grating or patially transparent texture)? I've seen it done, and I already know how to do a completely transparent door, I just want to try it like this. Any help would be appreciated.

NitR0US0XidE

It's simple. Create a sector that doesn't touch the walls, reduce the ceiling height to 1 unit above the floor, make sure there are NO upper/lower textures on it, and give one of the actual "door linedefs" (the ones with the door trigger on) a MAIN texture, and set the Y-offset to -128. (front and back sidedefs)

(assuming this door is 128 units tall, and you're using a main texture that's 128 units tall. If you're using a 64-unit tall texture, set the Y-offset to -64)

There is only 1 drawback to these doors: you can only open them once, without closing them. They also don't render correctly in OpenGL ports. (until you run zennode, glBSP or something similar on them)

Hey, thanks a lot guys - other than a split second of HOM, works perfectly! I'll be sure to post the WAD once I finish it so you all can bitch about it, err critique it.

NitR0US0XidE

NitR0US0XidE said:

other than a split second of HOM, works perfectly!

If this is for a BOOM port, use the transfer heights and that won't happen:)