Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SCOURGE III

Download here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/408lpffzethfqku/SCOURGE3.wad?dl=0

So...here comes my 3rd WAD. 5 simple constructed maps, to play in HURT ME PLENTY MODE, NO CROUCH and NO JUMP.

This time i have tryied to something with monsters from the site Realm667, i have "fetched" some textures from others WADS to build this one.

Must say that the third map of this WAD might be a little frustrating...i got frustrated myself. I Completed the entire 5 maps in 1H10 minutes.

I appreciate all the critics, im trying to improve in mapping, i do it for fun, and if you livestream or record my WAD, please tell me, i enjoy see gamers playing it.

Hope you have fun playing it and thanks ;)

===========================================================================
Primary purpose         : Single play
Title                   : SCOURGE III  
Filename                : SCOURGE3.WAD
Release date            : 28APRIL2019
Author                  : Austinado
* What is included *

New levels              : 5 Levels Only
Sounds                  : No

Music                   : yes

= NON AUTHORIZED AND COPYRIGHT TRACKS=

MAP01 :  Dynatron-Unquestionable judgment
MAP02 :  JordanF-Nightwave
MAP03 :  kavinsky-Roadgame
MAP04 :  Gost-Nascency
MAP05 :  Magicsword-Colossus

Graphics                : No
Dehacked/BEX Patch      : No
Demos                   : No
Other                   : No
Other files required    : None

* Play Information *

Game                    : Doom 2
Single Player           : Player starts only
Cooperative 2-4 Player  : No
Deathmatch 2-4 Player   : No
Other game styles       : None
Difficulty Settings     : Hurt Me plenty...i made the game for that purpose.

* Construction *

Base                    : New from scratch 
Build Time              : About 1 month
Editor(s) used          : ZDoomBuilder and Slade3
Game Configuration      : GZDOOM: DOOM 2 (UDMF)
Script Type             : ZDOOM ACS 
Known Bugs              : not aware of...
May Not Run With        : I have Only used GZDoom and it was fine;
Tested With             : GZDoom

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Just finished and that was one hell of a ride love your map design kept me checking every nook and cranny for ambushes great enemy positioning aswell looking forward to playing whatever you bring next thanks for sharing.

I'll be blunt with you - map design is rather newbish with plenty raw ideas around. I found combat mostly incidental, this could be spiced up with teleport ambushes or open wall/raise floor tricks around when it's needed. Not sure what to think about custom monsters, they felt more as space filler for me. 

As far as detailing goes, it's some sort of mix of various textures in one room - gothic, wood, techbase, bricks, marble and ect in one same map. This could be solved if you stick with one theme per map, until you can feel that you can add more themes in same map. There are plenty of misalignments in your maps, on which you need work. Some places lack height difference, ceilings way too low and floors way too flat, it's quite bland to walk around.

So, my suggestions:

1. Study maps more, see how they engage with texture variety, height and gameplay.
2.Learn about texture alignments more, it's one of those things if you want see your maps look better(unless you go full 90's and chaos)

Don't be discouraged by my words, you already know a lot. Keep going and might you go somewhere. 

4 hours ago, riscoloco said:

Just finished and that was one hell of a ride love your map design kept me checking every nook and cranny for ambushes great enemy positioning aswell looking forward to playing whatever you bring next thanks for sharing.

Hello, thanks for playing my WAD, and thanks for the words..ill be thinking about the next WAD (SCOURGEIV)...but maybe giving more time of building..ad get some time for it..mapping takes alot of work ;)

Thanks one again...cheers!

1 hour ago, Misty said:

I'll be blunt with you - map design is rather newbish with plenty raw ideas around. I found combat mostly incidental, this could be spiced up with teleport ambushes or open wall/raise floor tricks around when it's needed. Not sure what to think about custom monsters, they felt more as space filler for me. 

As far as detailing goes, it's some sort of mix of various textures in one room - gothic, wood, techbase, bricks, marble and ect in one same map. This could be solved if you stick with one theme per map, until you can feel that you can add more themes in same map. There are plenty of misalignments in your maps, on which you need work. Some places lack height difference, ceilings way too low and floors way too flat, it's quite bland to walk around.

So, my suggestions:

1. Study maps more, see how they engage with texture variety, height and gameplay.
2.Learn about texture alignments more, it's one of those things if you want see your maps look better(unless you go full 90's and chaos)

Don't be discouraged by my words, you already know a lot. Keep going and might you go somewhere. 

Hello, Tanks for Playing my WAD. All the critics are welcome, and of course i have alot to learn on mapping skills. I started this for fun, and thats the only objective. I think you are right about choosing one theme for each map (gonna go with that for next project)...i confess i was overwhelmed with new textures i had got. About the customized monsters, i tryied something diferent, to see how it goes...i enjoyed one in special, The rapid fire trooper. The misalignments, were not easy and i struggled alot with them...

90´s...well i think its my kind of thing in style of mapping, but it gives me no harm if i look a little more forward and study some maps.

Thanks again for playing it, and thanks for your review...cheers!

@Austinado Here quick shortcut keys for you for texture alignment:

Shift+A for vertical alignment
A for horizontal alignment
L - for lower unpegged wall
U - for upper unpegged wall

If you press both last keys, it will add both unpegged settings. You can also align wall with arrow keys manually. I guess that's it from me. 

31 minutes ago, Misty said:

@Austinado Here quick shortcut keys for you for texture alidnment:

Shift+A for vertical alignment
A for horizontal alignment
L - for lower unpegged wall
U - for uppper unpegged wall

If you press both last keys, it will add both unpegged settings. You can also align wall with arrow keys manually. I guess that's it from me. 

Thanks alot, ill use it for sure!

4 hours ago, Odorousbag87 said:

Sent you a PM I think what I am experiencing is user error. 

Check out this video from Vinesauce on map making:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzfqsSm7JBc&t

I don't make maps personally, but I do watch map builder streams and videos so that I can somewhat legitimize my own playing and critiques. He goes over texture alignment. 

Joel isn't really experienced mapper to look for if you want learn thing or two. Sorry. Maybe just to get idea and get inspired for the first few maps, but nothing else. 

There are plenty of people on this forum, who do mapping streams and you can really get inspired by them or even ask help during their streams. @Bridgeburner56 is one of those people and he's quite helpful, when comes zdoom/gzdoom udmf stuff and detailing.

Yup, feel free to drop by my stream and ask questions. I also have a UDMF CP starting in a month with the aim of teaching people how to use UDMF and dispelling some of the misconceptions around it

3 hours ago, Misty said:

Joel isn't really experienced mapper to look for if you want learn thing or two. Sorry. Maybe just to get idea and get inspired for the first few maps, but nothing else. 

@Bridgeburner56

Totally agree and after watching the bridge burner stream I agree. I only referenced Joel cause he directly discussed the i.portance of texture matching which was mention previous.

My play testing is more focused on the player experience over technical details. Sorry for the mislead.

Finally got around to finishing your wad. Those super shotgunners are amazingly difficult. A little overpowered IMO. Also, a lot of Realm 667 was used here. I know I have a brash tone on stream, I had just finished a Mega wad that was ripping my you know what apart faster than a cybie rocket. Albeit it was fun, and a two other streamers are gonna take a look at it too. I think the guy in my chat found your previous two outings. 

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/428667941

On 5/23/2019 at 12:11 PM, Odorousbag87 said:

Finally got around to finishing your wad. Those super shotgunners are amazingly difficult. A little overpowered IMO. Also, a lot of Realm 667 was used here. I know I have a brash tone on stream, I had just finished a Mega wad that was ripping my you know what apart faster than a cybie rocket. Albeit it was fun, and a two other streamers are gonna take a look at it too. I think the guy in my chat found your previous two outings. 

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/428667941

Hey man, thanks for playing my WAD. So, like you said im a recent user...and of course it was a mistake of mine putting right away in ID database my first WAd...it was full of mistakes. However because i love this game, this is a big community,  i see there is alot to learn in mapping, i kept going...and for now im working in SCOURGE4 .I still have alot to learn and i enjoy mapping and watching others playing it...always open to reviews and advises. I have made SCOURGE, SCOURGE2 and SCOURGE3. You can find them here in my topics. Once again, thanks for playing my WAD. 

14 hours ago, Austinado said:

Hey man, thanks for playing my WAD. So, like you said im a recent user...and of course it was a mistake of mine putting right away in ID database my first WAd...it was full of mistakes. However because i love this game, this is a big community,  i see there is alot to learn in mapping, i kept going...and for now im working in SCOURGE4 .I still have alot to learn and i enjoy mapping and watching others playing it...always open to reviews and advises. I have made SCOURGE, SCOURGE2 and SCOURGE3. You can find them here in my topics. Once again, thanks for playing my WAD. 

I don't think you made mistakes. We all gotta learn somehow. But I do have to ask, was the wad made with continous play in mind or pistol starting? I was most curious about this lol. Other than that, I felt the level layout was alright and interesting. The use of the realm enemies is more preference than anything. I saw Suitpee play this wad and he seemed to like it. Just keep it up! 

9 hours ago, Odorousbag87 said:

I don't think you made mistakes. We all gotta learn somehow. But I do have to ask, was the wad made with continous play in mind or pistol starting? I was most curious about this lol. Other than that, I felt the level layout was alright and interesting. The use of the realm enemies is more preference than anything. I saw Suitpee play this wad and he seemed to like it. Just keep it up! 

The big mistakes i have made was one my first WAD, and i should have not put it in ID. At first when i started mapping, the purpose was with pistol starting point...but in SCOURGE (my first WAD) i got many complaints about it..so in SCOURGE3 (because SCOURGE2 its just one map) i have made each level balanced with necessary weapons to pass each level...it is continous playing - episode following levels- but i have given the weapons i thought it was necessary. If you ever want to try and record my my SCOURGE2 tell me about it...Thanks again ;) 

@Austinado - Well done on the step up to UDMF format - it seems like you've managed to carry on from Scourge 2 comfortably enough and already started to make use of mixed flats and textures, along with custom lift timing and a few other minor ZDoom things I could detect. These maps represent a bit of a refinement on your previous work, and have done away with the ever-unpopular surprise crushers. Unfortunately, you're using the Supershotgunner, a very poorly balanced enemy! Otherwise I was pretty happy with your Realm667 choices and thought your additional textures were letting you build up your texturing a bit. I didn't notice any missing lower textures this time and everything seemed to work pretty well (although the looping point on your MAP04 music choice was very jarring).

Things I'd want to see improved here really are more your choices of where to use textures. A good example in MAP05 was in the "hub" room that had the red and yellow skull doors in it. You'd used a 64x64 gothic panel with a bright red cross on it, which is a nice texture, but plastered it on like wallpaper, which didn't make it look much good. A better thing would've been a more general 128x128 gothic brick or bar texture, and then inset 64x64 panels to use the cross one you'd used. I think that sort of thing will come with time, though, and all of the exposure you're getting to other people's works in your play-recording thread will definitely help.