Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brock

How do i make custom texture (Gzdoom)

How do i make custom texture For Gzdoom ? What Program must i use and how ? And how can i port pictures or texture from other games on a current texture ?

GZDoom can handle PNG, JPG, PCX, TGA, and DDS textures. Basically any image that's not a BMP. Just make a "textures" folder in a zip file, put images in it, and there you go, that's all.

29 minutes ago, Gez said:

GZDoom can handle PNG, JPG, PCX, TGA, and DDS textures. Basically any image that's not a BMP. Just make a "textures" folder in a zip file, put images in it, and there you go, that's all.

Tnxs man , but how do i choose the size of the texture ? 

I dunno. Depends what you want to do.

Doom's normal resolution is typically something like 64x128, 128x128, or 256x128. Floor and ceiling textures are 64x64. If you want to use higher res textures from a modern game, you'll have to either resize them down to a Doomier resolution, or tell the engine that they're high-res by giving it a scaling factor for the texture.

29 minutes ago, Gez said:

I dunno. Depends what you want to do.

Doom's normal resolution is typically something like 64x128, 128x128, or 256x128. Floor and ceiling textures are 64x64. If you want to use higher res textures from a modern game, you'll have to either resize them down to a Doomier resolution, or tell the engine that they're high-res by giving it a scaling factor for the texture.

Okay tnx for helping me man

If you want to use higher res image files as textures and yet still retain correct proportions then you need to create a texture definition lump inside your wad (you can do this by just creating a lump and then call it "textures") and give the correct texture definition.

Example of a 1024x1024 image being used as a 128x128 texture in-game:

texture MIMPW, 1024, 1024
{
   XScale 8
   YScale 8
   patch MIMPW, 0, 0

}

On 4/28/2019 at 8:18 PM, Gez said:

Hey since it's my first time making texture could you like show an example ? How can make a folder within the zipfile how should i name the textures. If you do that would be very helpful.

Edited by Finnthemapmaker

You just make a folder named textures.

The texture can have any name, though it's simpler if you keep it under 8 characters and only use ASCII characters (no accented characters, Cyrillic, Greek, CJK, etc.). Here's a very simple example, load it as if it were a pk3.

customtexture.zip

On 5/1/2019 at 4:52 PM, Gez said:

You just make a folder named textures.

The texture can have any name, though it's simpler if you keep it under 8 characters and only use ASCII characters (no accented characters, Cyrillic, Greek, CJK, etc.). Here's a very simple example, load it as if it were a pk3.

customtexture.zip

I can't load it as a pk file because there is no pk file and i don't know how to make it pk or even wad format.

53 minutes ago, Finnthemapmaker said:

I can't load it as a pk file because there is no pk file and i don't know how to make it pk or even wad format.

In slade you just save it as a pk3 file. You just add .pk3 at the end of the file name.

EDIT: Also make sure that when creating a new project you choose "create new zip archive".

A pk3 is a zip file; a zip file is a pk3 file. They're exactly the same. Only the extension is changed, that's all. Whatever method you use to open a PK3 in SLADE or in GZDoom will work with a ZIP, because it's the same thing.

The only reason I uploaded it as a zip instead of as a pk3 is because the forum software doesn't accept the pk3 extension.