Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMer 4ever

Wadauthor hates Legacy?

I constucted a map on Doomcad, then opened it on wadauthor and saved it. I then run the map on legacy and a lots of those annoying player-can-see-though-the-walls bugs and they weren't there before. Why did i get them?

the internal node builder in wadauthor doesn't really support legacy, since the current version of wadauthor was made way before source ports existed. my advice is to use zennode.

Never mind WadAuthor, my PC hates Legacy....

edit: having said that, I used to use the really old versions of Legacy (up to and including 1.28) before I discovered Boom and ZDoom, and WA was ok with those. (I used to play my wads on that version)

DooMer 4ever said:

I constucted a map on Doomcad, then opened it on wadauthor and saved it. I then run the map on legacy and a lots of those annoying player-can-see-though-the-walls bugs and they weren't there before. Why did i get them?

Were you using OpenGL, as those see-through-wall bugs appear in OpenGL ports. To solve this, run glBSP on your map.

Legacy does not support gl nodes. Use ZenNode to fix it. (and you should use ZenNode anyway, since it really builds the best nodes)

Ultimate DooMer said:

Were you using OpenGL, as those see-through-wall bugs appear in OpenGL ports. To solve this, run glBSP on your map.

Yes, i used openGL. I've never heard about glBSP, but i downloaded it today and i'm gonna try it ASAP.

glbsp does get rid of those see thru wall errors when using legacy in opengl. there are extra glnodes that get added to the the regular nodes tree. I've come across too many wads that lack glnodes so I don't play in opengl anymore.

The reason that glbsp gets rid of the texture holes is not that it creates the gl nodes. This is because Legacy does not use, or even understand gl nodes. It just ignores them completely.

The reason it gets rid of the holes is that it also rebuilds the regular nodes. Glbsp's node algorithm is not as broken as most other builders'. But it still leaves texture holes/missing wall textures on complex maps. ZenNode does not (except on some pathologically complicated maps, like Phobia, and even those may be Legacy's fault).