Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Amuscaria

Hell-Forged Episode I - v1.11 Released

1 hour ago, BlackFish said:

I'm having a lot of fun (Played maps 1, 2, and 9), but can I ask why the Immolator is so good? I feel like the fire rate and stunlock is a bit bonkers for a slot 2 weapon, and really spoils some of the more intimate battles with the higher tier monsters featured in map 9.

Once you get to the later maps, it won't be as good with the boss monsters and large groups of regular monsters. :D

It's alt-fire doesn't deal any damage to bosses aside from the initial hit. And you can easily kill yourself with it.

On 4/28/2019 at 6:14 PM, Amuscaria said:

Hell-Forged is a complete remake of my first mod, Demon Eclipse's second episode. After getting some feedback from Tarnsman some years back during a livestream, he's convinced me to finally dump the bloated and incoherent project that DE had become, and remake the second episode into its own game, from the ground up. Spent most of the last 2 years-worth of free-time to finish this up for a 1.00 Release. :)

whoa. i loved demon eclipse, didn't think you'll bother completing or remaking it. this is awesome.

Made some small fixes to the status bar and other minor bugs like wrong sounds and textures. Reduced the kick-force of the Templar Sword alt-fire by 65% (kicking imps across the map is just silly). Redownload the file if you care to update, nothing major game-changing.

Edited by Amuscaria

For whatever reason, I feel like the alignment of the nailgun firing is offset wrong. It irks me that the skull in the middle should stay in the middle while the sides pull back. I dunno... maybe it's just me, but it seems wrong.

Also, so glad to see this released finally. Absolutely stunning project.

A couple of minor bug/issue reports (using the second most recent version, not the update you just made):

1) I noticed in your project thread on ZDoom that you have a super health item called the Rejuvinator that looks like it would replace the Soulsphere, but I've glimpsed Soulspheres in secret areas on both of the first two maps. Is this intentional? I haven't seen any other stock Doom items anywhere, so it struck me that maybe the custom sprites are just missing.

2) 

Spoiler

On HF1M2, when I hit the switch to access the secret map, it took me awhile to figure out that I was just supposed to go to the regular exit and it would take me to a different map. It might be worth having a more informative message when you hit the secret exit switch.

@Not Jabba the Rejuvenator is actually a replacement of the Demon Eclipse  "Life Seed". It doesn't heal past 100. The Soulsphere ans Megasphere are still used throughout the mod. 

Many of the items from vanilla doom are used. HF doesn't replace any of the items aside from the sprites of the health and armor bonuses so that they match the green/blue color scheme of HFs health/armor items.

Will add a clearer  notification message to the secret elevator. 

Edited by Amuscaria

Fixed a minor error that caused the "DeadPlayer" decoration to use the vanilla Doom marine sprites instead of the Templar sprites. Files have been updated.

The weapons, monsters, items, and effects can't be decoupled from the mod. It's asking if they sell a Ferrari without an engine because you want to drive it with the 302 you pulled from your 89 Mustang.

The maps have been balanced around the custom weapons and the custom monsters. If you want to make it vanilla, then do it yourself.

You're going to have to use Doombuilder and open each map and replace all the new monsters, weapons and items with something that is roughly equivalent from vanilla Doom.

Most likely it would be an unbalanced mess. I recommend leaving the Hellsmith, as there is no equivalent in vanilla Doom II.

I'd actually like to see the opposite, i.e. a gameplay mod with just the new weapons and monsters so you can use them in vanilla & with other mods.

Obviously the weapons would need to be adjusted to directly replace the vanilla arsenal, but I'm not sure how the bestiary would be handled. Perhaps a 10-20% chance of a Hell-Forged monster spawning in place of it's regular Doom counterpart, if it has one? (I'd be tempted to throw in at least few of the old Demon Eclipse monsters not included in Hell-Forged, too.)

Edited by NiGHTMARE

Mirroring what Nightmare says- I had great fun with the weapons and monsters in this set, given the maps are built around them it all works out perfect, but it would be neat to use the weapons in other maps just for a bit of fun!

Updated to 1.00a. Fixes a couple bugs that breaks the secrets in the last map (not sure if the bugs was part of 1.00 since I added the changes that caused the bugs later). Made some balance changes. This is the last patch before the large v1.10 update with the sprites touch-up and other things, unless something game-breaking is found.

See the opening post for download links.

On 8/29/2019 at 10:52 PM, Fuzzball said:

Mirroring what Nightmare says- I had great fun with the weapons and monsters in this set, given the maps are built around them it all works out perfect, but it would be neat to use the weapons in other maps just for a bit of fun!

Eriguns2 is well worth a look - most of the weapons from Hell Forged are in that, and many of them function similarly although there are some differences.

Hi all. Can anyone clarify what are the rules for uploading to the idgames archive via FTP? I've tried uploading HFv100a via FTP three times and its been rejected all three times without and email notice clarifying why. Thanks.

35 minutes ago, Amuscaria said:

Hi all. Can anyone clarify what are the rules for uploading to the idgames archive via FTP? I've tried uploading HFv100a via FTP three times and its been rejected all three times without and email notice clarifying why. Thanks.

If you go to this page, you can find a line that says "Rejected and accepted items from the last 7 days" with links to each. It feels a little sketchy because the hotlink force-downloads a file onto your computer that can be opened with a text editor like Notepad, but it seems ok and is just a readout of why each thing has been rejected. In your case, it looks like you didn't respond to the verification email that they send out automatically whenever you upload something. Maybe it went to your spam folder?

I had a problem with the E-Mail as well, it just got returned, when I replied. Hit up Bloodshedder on Discord and he'll sort it out for you.

On 10/1/2019 at 8:25 PM, elend said:

I had a problem with the E-Mail as well, it just got returned, when I replied. Hit up Bloodshedder on Discord and he'll sort it out for you.

Checking the rejected file log states I failed to validate my e-mail for 7 days. I've never received any e-mail from Doomworld or anything regarding my upload. *shrug* I've contacted Bloodshedder regarding the issue.

EDIT: added to /idgames archive. Made a small update to include Woolie Wool's 8-bit colormap. Can't say the wad works in Software mode, since I've not tested the later levels.

Edited by Amuscaria

Hey, man! Started playing through this and I'm having a blast! However, I've got some bad news for you. In the second level if you walk back the teleporter that takes you instantly to the red skull key will lower, meaning you can skip like half of the map. I'm playing in GZDoom v4.2.3.

EDIT: In M9 you are supposed to use the green key to activate three switches. I found two switches, found every secret and killed every monster. Does the third one even exist? Or is this a troll thing? I am very confused.

EDIT2: I am up to map 7 already. What. A. Mapset. You totally nailed the hell smithy aesthetic throughout the entire wad. The weapon replacements are lovely, and it's awesome that there is always a use for each one in every encounter. The secret mushrooms are very cool too! I wonder if I'll get something for collecting them all.

Also, I got slightly confused by your post: is this the reworked episode 2 of Demon Eclipse or episode 3? I remember playing it like 5 years ago when you cancelled the project. I finished episode 1, but definitely not episode 2.

Edited by Firedust

Thanks for playing!

Oops, I placed the activating line segment at the wrong place. :P Will be fixed for the next minor update, or the 1.1 large update.

There are only 2 Green-doors in M9. There is one in each of the 2 branches in the opening area. Those areas hold 1 of the 3 super-secret Soul-taker switches. THe last switch is in the large area that opens up after the red-key switch under the blood-skull floor. If you've gotten all the secrets, then you're not missing anything. :)

The secret mushrooms are meant to be a super-secret level trigger. Collect all 9 and you get the joke map "Sharknadoom". I'll add that and the 2 monsters needed for v. 1.1. Won't be until next year, though, as that will be a big patch.

The original Demon Eclipse was 2 episodes with a 3rd that went nowhere other than some weapons and monsters. The version you played with just E1 is most likely the dropped episode 1 that Blue Shadow packaged into a standalone when I decided to focus more on the Hell Tech.  The version of Demon Eclipse on /idgames is the original 2 episode release. The maps are really outdated and probably won't even work anymore. DE-Episode 3's concepts will be re-used in some capacity for HF-Episode 2, whenever I get around to it. All the monster models have been made, but I kinda want to work on something else first.

1 hour ago, Amuscaria said:

There are only 2 Green-doors in M9. There is one in each of the 2 branches in the opening area. Those areas hold 1 of the 3 super-secret Soul-taker switches. THe last switch is in the large area that opens up after the red-key switch under the blood-skull floor. If you've gotten all the secrets, then you're not missing anything. :)

Okay, I must've pressed the final switch and completely forgotten about it. Because I did get the Soul Taker.

The secret mushrooms are meant to be a super-secret level trigger. Collect all 9 and you get the joke map "Sharknadoom". I'll add that and the 2 monsters needed for v. 1.1. Won't be until next year, though, as that will be a big patch.

Yes, about those... For some reason, not all of them count as secrets.

The original Demon Eclipse was 2 episodes with a 3rd that went nowhere other than some weapons and monsters. The version you played with just E1 is most likely the dropped episode 1 that Blue Shadow packaged into a standalone when I decided to focus more on the Hell Tech.  The version of Demon Eclipse on /idgames is the original 2 episode release. The maps are really outdated and probably won't even work anymore. DE-Episode 3's concepts will be re-used in some capacity for HF-Episode 2, whenever I get around to it. All the monster models have been made, but I kinda want to work on something else first.

I've completed the Episode Blue Shadow uploaded + I played your two-episode release (it's over ten years old, jc), but I never actually beat Episode 2. I played a few maps from there and remember liking it. It would be awesome if you packaged DE 1 with HF, although not sure how tricky that would be. But then I guess it's not the same guy/girl in the story so maybe it's pointless.

And yeah, I've seen your post about doing a Hexen-style sequel to this first! Very excited for it. I like that you've drawn the best from both Heretic (aesthetic) and Doom (combat, no bulletspongey monsters) - and added your own spin to it. Oh, and please keep the overworld map for the next episode. Awesome feature to have for sure!

Keep at it, man! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next.

@Firedust

The 2 mushrooms that are dropped aren't tagged as secrets. Im not actually sure how to tag a dropped item as secret during play, or tagged the actors thay drop them as secrets when you destroy them.

You mean the one by the hanging corpses and inside a green container?

Because I swear every mushroom from Testing Grounds onwards isn't tagged as a secret (haven't played m7 and m8 yet). But don't take my word for it. The maps are big and take time lmao

You can put the +COUNTSECRET on the actor definitions instead of flagging them as secret in the map editor.