Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fookerton

Sharing some MIDI (UPDATED 1/19/2024)

January 2024 update

Hello! I figured I should update this post with a few tunes I've worked on the past few years. So here ya go, about 60 songs. I also tried to fix many of my earlier MIDIs to try and remove bloat. There shouldn't be any ridiculous sized midi files anymore, though most of these are still on the large side. As always, these are free for anyone to use if you choose but please provide credit.

A few notes: Good bit of variety I think, some rockers, moody stuff, ambient stuff, stupid stuff.. but most of these are fairly short-ish, usually less than 3 mins. Probably more suited for low par maps unless you don't mind the repetition. I've been trying to get better at kind of long form compositions and vg music proper but still a way off I think. With that in mind and the different genres, some of these admittedly may not mesh well with DOOM.

These were sequenced using the Roland GS soundset, so will likely sound best played back in the same manner. I also removed most instances of me using "picked bass", as many soundfonts really like to jack the volume way up on that particular instrument (looking at you, gzdoom.sf2). Also shoutout to Tiddles, his hand is on a few of the tracks where noted in the readme.

The attached .zip has the midi files, and for convenience's sake I'll add a link to a directory of mp3 recordings using the gm.sf2 soundfont.

fookmidi-2024.zip < MIDI

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rDvgrXPJMio69YW2aHkkA9HPpm0TvSgN?usp=sharing < Mp3s

ORIGINAL POST

Spoiler

A few months back my friend Tiddles loaned me guitar pro 5, so I tried my hand at sequencing some midis for Doom. I'd like to share some with you, feel free to use any as you like. Since I'm still new at this, don't expect anything on par with the lush orchestrations of BTSX or Ancient Aliens; these are all relatively simplistic, partly by design and partly due to my own ineptitude. I will at least say that most of these are influenced more by the custom MIDIs I've heard while playing Doom than any of Bobby Prince's stuff.

Anyways, this is more a quick dump for feedback. Tiddles and I's objective is to make a full music replacement wad for 32-map megawads, mostly to use for hosting on zandronum. Many megawads have either vanilla music or questionable music choices, and I'm tired of using mm2mus.wad over and over. And while there are many other fantastic options on that front, we just figured to make our own. To that end, you can find a replacement wad of our midis for one of my favorite old-school mapsets "Dark Covenant" here.

Below you'll find a list and short description of the midi tracks attached.

Spoiler

duskimp.mid -> "Dusk Imp" - slow pink floyd-ish thing

marlboromancubus.mid -> "Marlboro Mancubus" - chugging rock, might be good for a d_dm2int

mountain.mid -> "Mountain" - slow, moody

baronofheck.mid -> "Baron of Heck" - Ministry-like into a thrasher

bluenipple.mid -> "Blue Nipple" - kind of dance-y and spooky

cacoballad.mid -> "Cacoballad" - sad and slow into sad and a little faster, might be a good d_read_m

canadiandoom.mid -> "Canadian Doom" - upbeat rocka

crutch.mid -> "Crutch" - trying (and failing) at a morricone meets dance-y thing. Not so fond of this one

desert.mid -> "Desert I" - another pink floydish thing

minormeef.mid -> "Minor Meef" - power metal tribute to the almighty MiFu

pinkdivision.mid -> "Pink Division" - simultaneously ripping-off paying homage to New Order and Floyd

pinkiedisco.mid -> "Pinkie Disco" - more trance-ish than disco tbh

revwaltz.mid -> "Revenant's Waltz" - slow sad waltz

spookybird.mid -> "Spooky Bird" - yet more pink floydish stuff

squaresoul.mid -> "Square Soul" - synth rocker

sugarslayer.mid -> "Sugarslayer" - SLAYEERRRRRRR

zombiemanblues.mid -> "Zombieman Blues" - took a chord progression from Tiddles and did a trip-hop type thing with it

On a technical note regarding playback, anything based on the Roland GS soundset should be decent enough. GZDoom should sound fine out of the box, but if you're using Zand then Windows' default synth will likely bork playback of some of the faster ones (Sugar Slayer in particular), so I'd recommend using a softsynth proper. As for recommended soundfonts, I'd just go with good ol scc1t2.sf2 or gm.sf2. There's also DooM.sf2 that I have which sounds great, but I have no idea who made it or how I acquired it. If you don't want to deal with any of that or for those whose have effed midi playback, I've converted all these files to .mp3 using the gm.sf2 soundfont which you can download or listen to here.

Edited by Fookerton : UPDATE

These are amazing. Will definitely use them on some of my future maps.

Edit: Also, welcome to Doomworld.

Hell yes. Could always do with more fellow MIDI musicians! :D

I'll see if I can find a home for one or two of these. Thanks for sharing!

I really enjoyed Dark Covenant too, one time I made a co-op version but never released it because all emails the author had in the file bounced.

Thanks for the kind words.

9 hours ago, Juza said:

These are amazing. Will definitely use them on some of my future maps.

Edit: Also, welcome to Doomworld.

Thank you! I've lurked around for years, usually ending up here after google searches.

9 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Hell yes. Could always do with more fellow MIDI musicians! :D

I'll see if I can find a home for one or two of these. Thanks for sharing!

Awesome. I'm a fan of your music and maps alike, so thanks.

9 hours ago, Kuschelmonster said:

these sounds really good with sneakers DMXOPL.

I'll definitely check this out.

8 hours ago, Glaice said:

I really enjoyed Dark Covenant too, one time I made a co-op version but never released it because all emails the author had in the file bounced.

That's a shame. I've always just dealt with the lack of coop spawns when it's hosted on zand, though a couple maps I think it really hoses a few players. It is unfortunate, because the size of the maps really lends itself well to coop play.

Apologies to mods for the gravedig here, but I figured I should update this specific post seeing how the doomwiki apparently links here. So ya! New tunes.