Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dark-tenshi

5.1 sound channel

Many people here will upgrade their own system to run DOOM3 at good speed.However,will you buy 5.1 sound channel set to get the full experience as id intend?
I will probably buy it if i have enough money left after upgrade my cpu,motherboard,ram,video card and buy a copy of DOOM3.

I'm probably not going to be able to afforded jack diddlysquat for upgrades. And even if I could, I'd upgrade my RAM, Motherboard, video card, and CPU before I could even think of touching my sound card... Maybe I should take up thievery again.

hmmm...i think for using 5.1 sound you need some extra outlets on your soundcard (l/r front, l/r back, a center and a booster) - software wont help you at this point i fear :) - or you can buy an extern 5.1 box that decodes the 5.1 sound from your normal stereo soundcard - but i am not sure if this really works.

sum facts about 5.1:

"Dolby Digital 5.1, also called AC-3 (for Audio Code-3), has six channels - two front, two rear, one center and one for the subwoofer. Unlike Dolby Surround and Prologic, the bandwidth here ranges from 20 Hz to 20 kHz. The "5.1" refers to the five front and rear parts, plus the subwoofer, called LFE (for Low Frequency Effects), represented by the "1". The term AC-3 refers to a coding technology which eliminates sound data the user cannot hear and produces a Dolby Digital sound band coded on six channels. An absolute prerequisite for Dolby Digital sound is a decoder, such as the one on the Creative Labs Inspire 5700, or else a sound card like Audigy or Acoustic Edge, which decodes 5.1 sound and has the correct outputs."
(for this and more details switch to http://www4.tomshardware.com/video/02q1/020325/sound-01.html)

This thing is moving towards something technological - so I think I'll move it to the tech forum if you don't mind (I can always move it back to D3 general if it changes directions again).

Heh... my soundcard currnetly sucks. I get 'chipmunking' in a load of new games. I was planning on getting something a bit newer, but I dunno if i'll be able to afford anything decent. Whats the cheapest card that supports hardware 5.1?

Dark-tenshi said:

Many people here will upgrade their own system to run DOOM3 at good speed.However,will you buy 5.1 sound channel set to get the full experience as id intend?

Nope...I already have a ghetto rigged 4.1 system =)

Front: Altec lansing 2.1 ADA 305 speakers -- 2 x 20W satellites + 1 x 20W sub

Back: 75W Hitachi Receiver (thing is 30 years old and still works) with two Optimus (Tandy Radio Shack) bookshelf speakers (double oval ribbon tweeter, and 4.5" woofer).

Hardware: SB Live

Works just fine for the highs, puts out plenty of bass, and has a solid midrange. And the cost was spread out over the period of a few years since I've already had the receiver and optimus speakers for 7 years.

Well. I need new speakers. These crusty pieces of crap came with the PC and they su-diddly-uck.

Plus I don't have money for new ones, so yeah.

5.1 (which I'll be getting, hopefully) is like surround sound and is fucking awesome. IIRC, the subwoofer is like the speaker hub, like you hook all the speakers to the subwoofer, then the subwoofer to the computer. It's really awesome, not only for gaming but for music and stuff.

All this speaker stuff reminds me of a person I know who is a huge audiophile and has an 8.1 setup with very high quality speakers and subwoofers and a massive stereo :)

I'm definitely aiming at getting something way better than what I have now in the sound department.
Dammit, the FAQ doesn't say anything about what specific sound devices would be good for Doom 3 - we need to add that to the FAQ.

I already have a surround sound system and love it, though not many games actually take advantage of it

If you are just playing games is there a reason to get a better sound card? Personaly I also make music using the Fruitloops music generator (http://www.fruityloops.com/). So I have a reason to own a SBLive sound card. But is there a reason to even get a card better than 5.1?

DrDaPoo said:

If you are just playing games is there a reason to get a better sound card? Personaly I also make music using the Fruitloops music generator (http://www.fruityloops.com/). So I have a reason to own a SBLive sound card. But is there a reason to even get a card better than 5.1?

nah. 5.1 will be superb for d3. no need for a Audigy or Audigy 2 (6.1) - a sblive 5.1 will do the job well. 4.1 cards will be adequate, too. better buy 4 good speakers and a boombox instead of purchasing a brand new 5.1 or 6.1 card.

I got a good 10 peace suround sound system (9 speakers and a box). The speakers where origonaly use for a TY suround sound system. I can do this because there is a converting box that takes the pc input and puts it into usable info for the 9 speakers, but I do need a amp to increase power. The funny thing is that I have to put the sub on padding and I had to reinforce the wooden frame that I have it on because I made the mistake of turning the bass all the way and play some techno music. My old wooden frame broke apart from the vibrasions. Personaly to me sound is alot better than graphics (not saying that I dont love graphics I got a gfc3ti500 vid card), but hey im a sound freek :).

AIRmichael said:

7.1 will release soon i heard?

For some reason, my sound card (Soundblaster LIVE!) supports 7.1 . *shrugs*

I really didnt know that 7.1 was out. Well im guessing that theres going to be a 7.1 if your sound card suports 7.1, makes sence right?

Along with a new CPU, motherboard, and an NV30, I plan on getting a Cambridge Soundworks "Microworks" setup. Maybe this is just a Boston based company. Don't know. But the woofer on this thing makes the most amazing bass for its size.