Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crazyflyingdonut

Sonic Movie.

Sonic Movie.

The trailer looked awful. I have said this before and I'll say it again for the one millionth time, VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS DO. NOT. FUCKING. WORK. ON A MOVIE!

I'm so angry, it's not even funny. I normally don't talk about Sonic on the internet despite the fact that I am a fan of said franchise because I'm aware of the shit fandom Sonic has, but when Hollywood wants to fuck up one of my favorite video game characters, I'm going to rant about it, and there's nothing you or your dog can do about it.

Sonic apparently has the power to run so fast that he causes a power outage. Why does SEGA/SONICTEAM keep licensing their mascot to 3rd-parties who obviously have no idea what the fuck they are doing with said license? Here is a list of things that SEGA licensed their mascot in the 1990's.

Sonic's Edusoft (Unreleased Master System game, 1991)

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog (AOSTH, American cartoon series, 1993)

Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM, American cartoon series, 1993)

Sonic's Schoolhouse (American PC game, 1996)

Sonic Underground (American cartoon series, 1999)

I honestly am super livid right now. I don't think SEGA has ever learned from the mistakes they made, and I doubt they ever will learn from them at this point. What's different about this compared to the other bad things that SEGA put Sonic through is that Sonic has never been into Hollywood movie territory before. This is the one thing that has never happened to Sonic before. And I can smell the consequences, oh boy can I smell it.

Even though Jim Carrey is one of my favorite actors (I loved both "Dumb and Dumber" movies, "Liar Liar", "Bruce Almighty", and "The Truman Show".), I don't think poor Jim should be dragged into a fanbase as cancerous as Sonic's. He did not deserve this.

The only thing I like about the movie is that Sonic has blue arms, and the reason why I like the fact that Sonic has blue arms is because I know that Sonic having blue arms pisses off Chris-chan. When Chris-chan gets angry, it makes me feel good.

SEGA has made so many mistakes with their character, but this could possibly be the BIGGEST. ONE. YET.

The trailer made me cringe hard. I would rather watch Nintendo's next Super Mario movie* in 2020 than this.

* . Provided it is actually good.

6 minutes ago, Bauul said:

The Mortal Kombat movie is a masterpiece and no-one can tell me otherwise.

I second this. As over-the-top as it could possibly get, it was fun and it sure did justice.

One of the rare exceptions of video games being brought to live on the big/small screen successfully. The more recent Legacy series is great as well.

3 hours ago, seed said:

And it's just a movie, just like Doom Annihilation, it's not like the franchise or character will be killed by a movie. Never been a fan of Sonic so no idea what so say about it tbh.

So, why so angry?

I can't say why OP is angry but I could see the anger stemming from a loose connection stemming from the movie possibly being so bad it could affect the funding of future entries into the franchise. 

So in essence it just makes the series look bad and therefore less publishers or developers would be interested in working on the series. 

But that is just a hypothesis. 

25 minutes ago, seed said:

I second this. As over-the-top as it could possibly get, it was fun and it sure did justice.

One of the rare exceptions of video games being brought to live on the big/small screen successfully. The more recent Legacy series is great as well.

Thirded. 

Mortal Kombat's actual story is kind of a cluster cluck itself so the movies would probably have to mess up really bad in order to be truly terrible. 

I want another Mortal Kombat movie, theme and everything. 

The original Mortal Kombat movie is unironically excellent. Wreck it Ralph (haven't seen the sequel yet) and Advent Children are both great if we're counting 3D movies. I kinda enjoyed Warcraft, even though it was very flawed. 

The trailer was amusingly dopey and weird. I'm sure it will be bad, but it might be entertainingly bad. This is not a thing that's worth getting angry over.

12 minutes ago, Ajora said:

The trailer was amusingly dopey and weird. I'm sure it will be bad, but it might be entertainingly bad. This is not a thing that's worth getting angry over.

Sonic fans such as myself have been known to get angry over the smallest of things. Trust me, it's a broken fanbase, which is why I don't talk about Sonic much even though I've played Sonic games since I was a child.

Never been much into Sonic myself, but I will say this; the character in the movie looks awful. Forget "bad representation of an iconic character", it just looks flat out bad. I feel like we've seen far more compelling CGI animal characters in films by now, certainly better executed (in terms of quality and design). 

Also (and again, this is coming from someone who only occasionally played some of the games, not a hardcore fan); is it a bit odd that they chose to set this in the 'real' world, instead of the cartoon kind of setting of Sonic games, where anthropomorphic characters do not need to be explained/ are not out of place?

I PARTIALLY agree with @Ajora about Warcraft. Partially because  I can't quite say I enjoyed it, but that's more to do with feeling like it's much more of a shallow, small kids fantasy movie than what I guess I was expecting (and because I think the visual cohesion of the whole thing got shot to hell due to the use of real actors instead of going CGI for everyone). 

humans and Sonic characters co-existing has been a thing since the Adventure games, that are about 2 decades old at this point. and even then, i think it goes back way further to comic books and TV shows, though those aren't considered part of the canon. plus Eggman is a human, and has always existed in the series.

1 minute ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

humans and Sonic characters co-existing has been a thing since the Adventure games, that are about 2 decades old at this point. and even then, i think it goes back way further to comic books and TV shows, though those aren't considered part of the canon. plus Eggman is a human, and has always existed in the series.

Uh... what does this have to do with humans in Sonic games? To be honest, I don't get what bothers people about humans being in Sonic games. I like the fact that sometimes humans are in Sonic games, because it adds more variety to the characters. In fact, it bothered me when in Sonic Forces, there weren't any humans!

But back to my main point. What does humans being in Sonic games have to do with the movie?

Honestly, that shit was hilarious. I might even see it opening night. Train wrecks can be fun to watch. Also, I laughed my ass off when I heard "Gangster's Paradise" in the trailer. 10/10.

(also, wanted to note that I like the song, it just doesn't fit the material at all, which is why it was excellent)

40 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Uh... what does this have to do with humans in Sonic games? To be honest, I don't get what bothers people about humans being in Sonic games. I like the fact that sometimes humans are in Sonic games, because it adds more variety to the characters. In fact, it bothered me when in Sonic Forces, there weren't any humans!

But back to my main point. What does humans being in Sonic games have to do with the movie?

i thought Taurus was confused of the concept of humans and Sonic characters co-existing which happens in the games, but he was actually wondering why the movie was set in the real world, were Sonic characters cannot exist. i don't know if the human world in Sonic games is supposed to be like the "real world", so the point i tried to make was kind of confusing.

3 minutes ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

i thought Taurus was confused of the concept of humans and Sonic characters co-existing which happens in the games, but he was actually wondering why the movie was set in the real world, were Sonic characters cannot exist. i don't know if the human world in Sonic games is supposed to be like the "real world", so the point i tried to make was kind of confusing.

Okey ^^

I tend to take each individual media entity on it's own merits, as I know a little more about what I like than just "this franchise" or whatever. Sonic is always hit and miss, and this film... I actually like the look of, simply because I love Jim Carrey in silly roles and this looks like he's having a great time!

1 hour ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Sonic fans such as myself have been known to get angry over the smallest of things. Trust me, it's a broken fanbase, which is why I don't talk about Sonic much even though I've played Sonic games since I was a child.

Yeah, I'm aware of some of the *ahem* peculiarities of the Sonic fanbase, despite not being a fan of the franchise myself. I can only imagine how some of them are feeling about this trailer.

when-will-you-learn-that-actions-have-conseque.png

1 minute ago, Caffeine Freak said:

Sammy is way funnier (and more harmless) than Chris-Chan.

Part of the reason that the Sonic fanbase is this toxic is due to the mistakes SEGA has made over the past 3 decades, both during the years when they used to make consoles, and the years after they went third-party. That's is it's own topic though, and for the most part, isn't directly related to Sonic as a character.

3 hours ago, Bauul said:

I don't want to be mean, but I can't help but giggle at just how angry you get in these kinds of posts. Do you need a hug?

HAHAHAHAHAHHA This make my day XD

although the sonic movie is going to be bad, just by looking at the character's design

it's just a movie, we all know that the character performs for his video games not his movies so do not worry :P

we been spendin’ most our lives livin in a hedgehog’s paradise

i fought eggman once or twice livin in a hedgehog’s paradise

@Doomkid Stop making me love you god dammit >:O!!!

Also the movie's gonna be cancer and imma gonna watch it and love it :D

47 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Part of the reason that the Sonic fanbase is this toxic is due to the mistakes SEGA has made over the past 3 decades, both during the years when they used to make consoles, and the years after they went third-party. That's is it's own topic though, and for the most part, isn't directly related to Sonic as a character.

I get that, but they were just trying to make money. It was nothin personnel, kid.

im so excited for this fucking film

this is the mario movie of this generation, and i absolutely love the mario movie

5 hours ago, GordoFreemann said:

Thirded. 

Mortal Kombat's actual story is kind of a cluster cluck itself so the movies would probably have to mess up really bad in order to be truly terrible. 

I want another Mortal Kombat movie, theme and everything. 

Considering the first movie was essentially Enter the Dragon in the Mortal Kombat universe it was great, helped by the soundtrack, set design and the terrific casting.

Apart from the extremely dated CGI and relative lack of gore it still remains my favorite videogame movie.

24 minutes ago, vinnie245 said:

Considering the first movie was essentially Enter the Dragon in the Mortal Kombat universe it was great, helped by the soundtrack, set design and the terrific casting.

Apart from the extremely dated CGI and relative lack of gore it still remains my favorite videogame movie.

Speaking of video game movies...

I enjoy the Tomb Raider movies. If they weren't attached to an established series they would be remembered as a cheap 2000's summer flick albeit a fun one. Plus Angelina Joe Lee side boob. My teenage self might of liked the movie for the wrong reasons haha.