Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

Micro Mages (NES) released today

https://youtu.be/YisLBOoS_Dg

From Morphcat Games in Germany, this vertical scrolling platformer could have been a AAA first party release title in 1985. At 40 kilobytes in size, it was programmed under the same restrictions as other famous titles such as Super Mario Bros. Now it is available as a digital download (for use in a NES emulator), as a fully boxed NES cartridge, and will soon be available on Steam.

And it supports 4 player simultaneous co-op.

I haven't played it yet as I want to wait for the cartridge for the maximum genuine experience.

I watched a video a while back of some of the techniques they used to make the game fit into their constraints, there's some pretty cool stuff they're doing. I'm gonna keep an eye out for speedruns of this game.

This game looks awesome, this is my first time hearing about it surprisingly.

I remember watching a making of video of how they were able to make it work on actual NES hardware and all the tricks they did to make it work.

The end result is something that doesn't quite look like it would actually work with the limitations set and yet it hits those boundaries like Shantae or Kirby's Adventure. Was really interesting, and the actual game looks pretty cool.

I'm sure at some point youtubers like AVGN will end up making a video about it.

Heh. The intro had a distinct Bubble Bobble feeling, and the gameplay itself is strongly reminiscent of Bubble Bobble, Fairyland Story, Rainbow Islands and Rodland, among others. And for me that's a Very Good Thing.

Nice. This looks like something I'd like to try out, if I wasn't so damn busy...

I think I'd like to wait to see if they sell the physical cartridge version before buying it, but it looks cool nonetheless.