Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Inkedsexpira_cov.jpg.faa81eafcf6ce698ad42f888899a52df.jpg

"You must escape from a giant cyber prison. This is the biggest and most complex map ever created for Doom 2"

About a week ago Pan ("Blighted moonbase" "NILUM")  released final reworked version of Exspiravit. I kindly agreed to post it here for community reviews and feedback.This last update is properly balanced in favor of the player to make the map more enjoyable. Major bugs are fixed. I tested it with saves in a couple of days and manage to exit under 9 hours with all monsters killed.

Eventually what we have is a basically linear huge enclosed maze divided into several big sections which are intended to differ from each other visually and gameplay wise. Simply put we are getting into thousands of custom monsters, plenty of ammunition and health, continuous switch hunting within sections and lots of neighboring rooms clearing.

For those who like long survival maps. Give it a try, share you impressions about the map, about how far you managed to survive and for how long, about hard parts in other words pour all your love/hate down upon the map here.

I played this map with GZDoom 3.5.1

This version of Goliath was edited for DW. The soundtrack mp3 file was resized and some symbolic images were replaced 

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/835oxqr9wf4g2l2/GoliathDW.zip/file

Screenshots from Moddb Goliath post from Pan:

goliath_5.JPG.c09b0ef29e7866187e52e5b48251fded.JPGgoliath_2.JPG.2b9a0577212fd17c0a8ed8a627d5a1f8.JPGgoliath_1.JPG.f13050cd7ce1651f3d03c9219bc9e5f7.JPG

*players wishing to compete in the competition should use the moddb version to avoid desync issues

Edited by Player177

I don't think Pan deserves any more exposure after the whole drama he used to cause around here.

Map does look mighty impressive though, but if it plays like Blighted Moonbase then I'm not interested.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/425357428

So yeah, basically this seems to be nothing but a massive bunch of somewhat copy pasted OBLIGE-generated maps strung together with loads and loads of DIFFERENT custom enemies. I tried this for about an hour and a half before deciding to end my run.

This serves as a glorious example of how NOT to use custom monsters in Doom.

As one of the the local OBLIGE aficionados on the forums, I can say this is definitely V7 and a lot of retexturing, some architecture edits and adding a bunch of custom monsters were added, that and stringing a bunch of what I'd assume are multiple maps stitched together. This is a Frankenstein nightmare OBLIGE megamap, essentially.

Here's the tally from Doom builder:

76,629 vertices

93,761 linedefs

150,852 sidedefs

19,716 sectors

13,045 things

Of those things, about 7,100 are monsters.

OP, you should consider making a map from scratch and showing us your raw talent to us like many others are on this subforum.

Edited by Glaice

On 5/1/2019 at 8:34 AM, Player177 said:

This version of Goliath was edited for DW. [...] some symbolic images were replaced

I would love a detailed description of what was changed and why.

On 5/1/2019 at 11:34 AM, Player177 said:

About a week ago Pan ("Blighted moonbase" "NILUM")  released final reworked version of Exspiravit. I kindly agreed to post it here for community reviews and feedback.This last update is properly balanced in favor of the player to make the map more enjoyable. Major bugs are fixed. I tested it with saves in a couple of days and manage to exit under 9 hours with all monsters killed.

This version of Goliath was edited for DW. The soundtrack mp3 file was resized and some symbolic images were replaced 

So, not only are we expected to suffer through a boring as fuck and grindy amalgam of oblige maps and give feedback on a map that was "arranged of several pieces" rather than "made from scratch". We're also supposed to take the bait and participate in a "challenge" that is being hosted by an obvious alt-right/white power asshat (because that's what these "symbolic images" were all about).

If memory serves, "exspiravit" has been made months ago, and this talentless chucklefuck is still uploading new versions to fix things these days... What this looks like to me is that we're supposed to be the lab rats this idiot needs to get his crap playtested properly, so he can run his so-called challenges with less effort.

2 hours ago, Suitepee said:

So yeah, basically this seems to be nothing but a massive bunch of somewhat copy pasted OBLIGE-generated maps strung together with loads and loads of DIFFERENT custom enemies. I tried this for about an hour and a half before deciding to end my run.

This is what I thought is was when I saw Jaxx's post on it. I wont even play it now because there have been quite a few OBLIGE modification levels that have just been big let downs.

1 hour ago, Rimantas said:

Pan, you can pay me a 1000$, i still won't play your trollmap.

Oh, that's not Pan. That's somebody who played Pan's maps as his name popped up in his threads since Pan has not been here since December of 2018.( ???? )

Or who knows? The mods would have known the multiple accounts due to the IPs right away if that was the case.

Considering the last post of Player's was from November 2018 before this topic..strange coincidence.

Edited by Glaice

The great part about this is that Byeblothingal 1024 does this exact same thing but actually designs his own maps, puts those maps out regularly, doesn't have to pay people to play his maps and isn't a white power shithead. 

Edited by Marn

7 hours ago, Marn said:

The great part about this is that Byeblothingal 1024 does this exact same thing but actually designs his own maps, puts those maps out regularly, doesn't have to pay people to play his maps. 

Thanks Marn, I'm gonna look him up:) Damn its too bad these are most likely Oblige maps strung together, I thought Blighted Moonbase was ok, not particularly special but not terrible in my opinion, and  my first impression of Nilum was that it might be worthwhile. Oblige maps are great, don't get me wrong I love Oblige, but you know when you're playing one by the architecture and how the items and secrets are placed.

divided into several big sections which are intended to differ from each other visually and gameplay wise

As a general rule, I like cohesive design elements that run through a map. That being said, different sections that look different from each other isn't necessarily a bad thing. As I recall, Warlock's Hearth had different themes running through different sections. Of course, I think that was due to different portals and what not. And Impromptu Minidido had different themes in different sections owing to the fact that it was composed of small sections made by different people and then cobbled together. Although, with the way that map was put together, it still felt reasonably cohesive.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the level, at least from what I've seen, doesn't look bad. I'm not saying anything about the gameplay or layout or anything, just the appearance. And, in my experience, Oblige doesn't do a bad job making levels with appealing aesthetics.

12 hours ago, Misty said:

Imagine sitting several hours copying, pasting and adjusting oblige generated layouts , dumping entire realm667 repository and pretending that you made the most complex level ever. 

At least there's some level of commitment. One could argue that this approach is, at least, better than the "I was bored, so I made this map" attitude.

manage to exit under 9 hours ... a basically linear huge enclosed maze ... continuous switch hunting within sections and lots of neighboring rooms clearing.

Ignoring the whole Oblige thing, this concept doesn't actually sound terribly appealing to me. Wander around for hours in a big maze looking for switches to make things happen and then move to the next section. At least the switch hunting isn't between sections.

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

At least there's some level of commitment. One could argue that this approach is, at least, better than the "I was bored, so I made this map" attitude. 

So generating, slapping together OBLIGE levels is a level of commitment now? Excuse me what? Can we stop promoting bad habits? With the "I was bored, so I made this map" attitude at least we know the mapper was bored so we know what to expect. With this level of crap?? This is deliberate, intended, I am personally not a fan of this level of nonsense.

6 minutes ago, Alter said:

So generating, slapping together OBLIGE levels is a level of commitment now? Excuse me what? Can we stop promoting bad habits? With the "I was bored, so I made this map" attitude at least we know the mapper was bored so we know what to expect. With this level of crap?? This is deliberate, intended, I am personally not a fan of this level of nonsense.

Well, you know, you have to download Oblige. Then you have to check buttons to designate your port, theme, level size, monsters, weapons, etc. Then you have to wait patiently while the map is generated. Then you have to repeat the process if you want to do a sort of cut-and-paste thing like this. There's clearly an investment in time.

In case it wasn't evident, there was intended to be more than a bit of sarcasm in my response, just like I intended there to be sarcasm in my initial post. It evidently didn't come across.

Of course I'm not endorsing just generating maps in Oblige and claiming them as your own, even if you generate multiple maps and them copy and paste them together. Oblige is fine for what it is--a map generator. If you want to use it to generate maps to play by yourself, then fine, knock yourself out. But no, you should not try to pass them off as your own work or try to claim that they are anything more than they are.

The bottom line is, what I was trying to say was that the map doesn't look bad, but it does sound profoundly boring and not fun.

A better question peg is why you are even attempting to be civil to a proxy for a racist troll.

2 hours ago, Fonze said:

racist troll

Can you elaborate more on this?

20 hours ago, Suitepee said:

When I tried to beat the map I spent not more than hour and a half approx everyday on it. I cannot imagine someone plaing it nonstop in one sitting. Although it's possible to beat it believe me :)

18 hours ago, Benjogami said:

I would love a detailed description of what was changed and why.

Pan's work didn't pass my advanced censorship. I figured some things probably wouldn't be warmly greeted once again on DW. Besides, I've annihilated NPC meme in NILUM so I had a perfect excuse to get rid of it here. Btw did you watch Avengers? If so, than you must beat Goliath :) You can also find some love signs on automap. Anyway, I feel like this map doesn't need any symbols so that they wouldn't appear inappropriate or it does need them but in greater numbers for fun.

Ok, it's a huge map but I wanna to compare for clarity. I've made a collage for illustrative purposes. There is no map-size chart but from threads like "Huge epic maps" and recent ones my rough compilation would be like:

DWmaps.png.bd074b76e3e723b9e7569428466b1fc2.png

Clockwise from the left side: Planisphere 2, Oreo Cake Massacre, Holy Hell, World Orifice, Jade Earth, Memorial, Okuplok and Goliath   

@Fonze

I suppose I just try to be a civil person.

While I detest the racist, white power, NPC asshattery that Pan showed us the last time, I was trying to (sarcasm aside) state my opinion of the map by itself. And that opinion was, it seems to look nice, but it sounds as if it will be long, boring, and completely not a fun way to spend your free time. If you want to play something ridiculously long, there are any number of other, better, funner options out there.