Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tango

Paradise [v2.1 multiplayer release || 10/11/2020]

looks very cool, good Mapset! Everything is at the highest level, including the skill level of the game:)

P. S. I really do not like brutal Doom(My opinion and it may not coincide with yours), but in this set everything is different, the monsters look very elegant, I remember doom 2016!  Berry on the cake!

i don't know why the new sounds make me smile so much! just another nice little bit of polish i guess

i'm really looking forward to the standalone release of "supercharge", i'd love to try mapping around this gameplay

the final version is here! at long last. if there are any major bugs that come up, I'll still be happy to hotfix, but otherwise, this is hopefully the final version. download link in the OP has been updated. I'll probably wait a few weeks to upload to the archive, as I'm in no hurry. changelog:

• fixed a few misalignments in main episode
  • fixed switch textures so that they can no longer have decals (aka no more missing a switch because it got inadvertently covered by blood decals)
  • added proper txt file alongside the pk3 file

again, I owe a great many thanks to everyone that has played, streamed, or otherwise given feedback on Paradise. thanks for playing :D

ps I'll probably release an initial version of the standalone gameplay mod in the next few weeks, and I intend to use it again for anything I make during NaNoWADMo in October

Edited by Tango

This was a good WAD. Interesting levels with finely tuned fights. My commendation for the effort in the custom weapons and enemies. The burst rifle and the quad shotguns were a good addition and the sounds are beefy. And in special you made a great job with the enemies!

Most custom enemies in wads are usually just recolors or taken from Heretic/Hexen, I felt that for example the Diabolist opened up new gameplay venues, and could have perfectly put in doom2.wad.

Played this right after "Alienated" because Lorenz0 recommended it for the Cacowards. I was initially thrown off by the custom monsters/weapons but I quickly adapted and it was great fun after that. There are some pretty chewy fights and I really enjoyed the blend of familiar gameplay and just the right amount of new. By the time I finished the episode I found that I really wanted more so the bonus maps are a nice touch.

Just finished the bonus maps and I really enjoyed them. Most of them really didn't feel far from complete to me. Quite a few of them seemed cool as they are even.

Often I felt like a secret or two was all it'd take to make them more whole. You have really good ideas and your maps feel original and fresh. This is a lovely package and I'll definitely check out some of your other work.

3 hours ago, slimeheavy said:

This is a lovely package and I'll definitely check out some of your other work. 

cheers mate, thanks so much not only for playing but for all the kind words :D it does mean a lot, and I'm really glad you had a good time even with the bonus maps. in hindsight I _do_ wish I'd added a bit more secrets to the bonus maps, though by the end I was pretty sick of working on all of em haha, so even minor changes felt like a chore.

I unfortunately don't have a ton of other singleplayer releases outside Paradise, but hopefully you find some enjoyment in what is out there!

----------------

also for anyone that has missed it, I recently released a standalone version of the gameplay mod from Paradise, as promised:

Edited by Tango

I've finally finished recording casual extreme-max, pistol start playthroughs of each of the maps in the main episode; here's a playlist:

I didn't record lmp demos or anything of these, and I forgot to disable DamNums for map05, so I might eventually rerecord that one. but I've been wanting to have maxes recorded and uploaded for a while because I enjoy watching such playthroughs on youtube myself, and perhaps they would also be appreciate by anyone whose hardware isn't able to run Paradise ;D

thanks @ReX :D thank you again for the review you did of v1 last year, that was really motivating and no doubt helped keep the fire lit to continue working on what I had and eventually make v2!

@Tango This may be a stupid question but: Is this wad finalized around the SuperCharge version included in it or will it be updated with development of the stand-alone mod?

@Spectre01 nay not a stupid question at all! I'd consider it "final" for now, but I do intend to, hopefully within the next month or few, make a wee update to Paradise that includes the newest Supercharge version (and therefore Zandronum comaptibility), along with multiplayer item placement, and maybe a few small map tweaks. I've got some ideas floating around for a second episode to add to Paradise somewhere down the line, but if that happens it'd still come a ways after the aforementioned minor-ish updates

Edited by Tango

9 hours ago, Tango said:

... second episode ...

Ha! Did anyone see how @Tango buried a major item of news in his post?

[In the event that I didn't mention it before, your work in Paradise displayed a mastery of texture use, level design, and visual appeal (colors & shapes). The second episode will undoubtedly continue in this vein, and I look forward to it.]

First of all, great mapset! Unfortunately, I noticed a rather major performance drop during the final fight in map04, specifically related to the toxic clouds released by the green Caco. Blowing up one or more of them in the middle of a group of Hell Knights creates a noticeable FPS drop from around 100 to 30. It seems to happen exactly while the green gas floats through multiple enemies. Hopefully it's not just me, as the rest of the maps run great.

1 hour ago, Spectre01 said:

Hopefully it's not just me, as the rest of the maps run great.

indeed it's not just you - that's a result of the fact that the gas clouds are RIPPER projectiles and therefore run collision checks really, really frequently, slowing the shit out of things in crowds like that. I might change the way the gas clouds work a bit in the future, as I think there's maybe a way to optimize for performance without really affecting the behavior, but yeah for now... I have no good solution :(

I recall playing V1 and struggling quite a bit because the monsters were a little too hard for me.

Then V2 came and proven to be one of my favorite wads in 2019. It left me with a huge taste for more, honestly hoping that final map hinting for V3 will actually go to fruition ;)

Thank you for this mapset, always such a treat and the Cacoward is well deserved!

Made you a lil' shouthout post on my Twitter page.

On 12/21/2019 at 7:20 AM, Tango said:

indeed it's not just you - that's a result of the fact that the gas clouds are RIPPER projectiles and therefore run collision checks really, really frequently, slowing the shit out of things in crowds like that. I might change the way the gas clouds work a bit in the future, as I think there's maybe a way to optimize for performance without really affecting the behavior, but yeah for now... I have no good solution :(

Check the wad DoomRaider  https://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/addons/doom-raidercrypt-of-the-vile

I have come to know the existence of this mod because of the Cacowards, and I have to say: you deserved it! Congratulations, man!

Have finished the main episode like yesterday or before that and the bonus maps today, can't say I didn't have a blast! :D The gameplay changes you implemented are more than welcome in my book.

Edited by Muleke_Trairao

Yup, I also found out about this thanks to the Cacowards, and this is the first set I downloaded to play. Good stuff! I really enjoy learning to use new weapons and strategize against new monsters, and yet I never download weapon mods because I always feel like I should play levels in the way the creator intended. It's nice to have a level set that's actually built around a gameplay modification from the ground up. Also, I was really impressed by your arena design - I think that the way you use damaging floors is inspired. It's interesting to have "maneuvering space" as a limited resource during combat - you can dash into the nukage to maneuver around enemies or dodge projectiles, but only for a limited time before you melt.

Does MAP06 imply that your next project is going to be built around slidey ice physics?

damn what a blast from the past, thanks so much @Creaphis! I really appreciate all the kind words :D "maneuvering space as a limited resource" is a great way to put it. I really like the idea of the player having to use their own HP pool as a resource to be managed through their movement, and I'd still really like to explore that even further in the future.

I don't know that it'll be my next project necessarily, but yeah, I think ice physics is a relatively unexplored territory with regard to doom combat, and if/when I do a follow-up to Paradise, that'll likely be something I experiment with.

also, a very belated thank you to @Muleke_Trairao! I am very grateful for your kindness, and also happy to hear you enjoyed even the bonus maps haha

Here is a playlist of maps that I have completed from this WAD so far. I am a little skeptical about level 53 because the revenant area where the cybers are seem to not have enough resources to make it through the battle without having to leave them behind upon exiting the map. Some of the videos are scheduled so they will be up soon. Other than that, the maps that I have left over are 5, 53, and 57 (currently working on 57).

I commented already on youtube, but nice work going through all those @mArt1And00m3r11339! the 53 run that you did after your post above was pretty entertaining to watch. hope to see you tackle map05 someday ;D

3 hours ago, Felhunter said:

Hi! Nice wad =) Possible use weapons from this wad in other wads?

thanks so much :D absolutely! I have updated the gameplay mod from Paradise a bit over the last few months, so I'd recommend using that, rather than Paradise. you can find the latest version of the gameplay mod, Supercharge, here:

so if you're just looking to use these weapons to play in other wads, then you'll just need to load Supercharge like any other gameplay mod. but if you're looking to pull resources (like the weapons) from Supercharge and use them in your own maps and things, then the first post in that Supercharge thread has a USAGE REQUIREMENTS section that lists the requirements/permissions for using anything from Supercharge. let me know if you have any questions though!

I'm quite close to completing an update that has the latest version of Supercharge, along with Zandronum and coop compatibility (aiming for balance for 2 players on survival). I'm gonna do some more balancing and testing, but I'm hoping to post a beta of the new version sometime in the next week or two :D

in the meantime, here's a shot of a new multiplayer secret area:

uHLSiFs.png

MULTIPLAYER BETA 3

>>>>>>>> DOWNLOAD V2.1 BETA 3 <<<<<<<<

I'm not going to bother updating the OP for now, but here's beta 3 (the first two versions were tested before posting this) of Paradise v2.1, with full Zandronum compatibility. thanks to some wonderful multiplayer testing courtesy of @NoReason and @Nevanos, this first (public) version is ready enough to be tested further by any interested folks. the focus of this update is multiplayer compatibility, but the maps have gotten some (mostly minor) singleplayer tweaks too.

there is also currently a Zandronum server up with this beta, so anyone that's interested can pretty easily hop in and test with a buddy or few:

DCtcDUy.png

the server is currently configured to be Survival on the Extreme difficulty, with 2 lives, and a player limit of 4. all of the multiplayer item and monster placement is balanced for 2 - 4 players on 1-life Survival mode, with no item respawns. map05 can get pretty brutal though, so the server's at 2 lives to be a little more forgiving. note that this beta does not currently include any of the bonus maps from the 2019 release. you should be able to call votes (Options -> Multiplayer Options -> Call a Vote) to switch maps if you reach the end of the episode, or want to jump to a specific map.

rough changelog from the 2.0 release from last year:

Spoiler
  • added proper multiplayer items to map01 - map05, map31 - map32. item and monster placement is balanced around 1-life Survival for 2 to 4 players
  • upgraded to the latest version of Supercharge (unreleased version 2.6 as of this writing)
  • made some layout and encounter changes on map03 to hopefully introduce the Scrap Gun a little more nicely, and pace fights a bit better
  • added a WIP new big HUD (based on excellent work by Lippeth)

I'd be especially interested to hear anyone's feedback on the multiplayer balancing, but feedback on any singleplayer changes are most welcome too :D

Edited by Tango

Awesome! I never quite finished all of Paradise, since the older version of Supercharge used in it didn't feel quite as sharp as the stand-alone mod. Any hints as to what's different in version 2.6?

1 minute ago, Spectre01 said:

Awesome! I never quite finished all of Paradise, since the older version of Supercharge used in it didn't feel quite as sharp as the stand-alone mod. Any hints as to what's different in version 2.6?

good question, I should have kept better track of a changelog hah. off the top of my head:

• fixed the Diabolist attack so that it properly damages other monsters now (for some reason it was only dealing damage to smaller monsters once I converted Supercharge to Zandronum)
  • fixed a few of the dynamic lights
  • fixed a frame in the shotgun cocking animation thanks to a fix supplied by @Cardboard Marty
  • that might be it actually lol

so not a lot as you can see. there may be some minor things here and there that I missed though, but nothing major between Supercharge 2.5 and the ~2.6 included in the multiplayer beta

MULTIPLAYER BETA 4

>>>>>>>> DOWNLOAD V2.1 BETA 4 <<<<<<<<

once again I have not gotten around to updating the OP yet, but here's the newest multiplayer beta. there are no major singleplayer changes here, so if you're not playtesting this in multiplayer, there's not much new here for you this beta. changelog:

• added backpacks to player starts in all maps in multiplayer
  • tried to reduce the multiplayer lag when hitting the switch in the northeast corner of map05 by joining some sectors and staggering line actions
  • added a bit more monsters for multiplayer (and ammo and health) across a few maps
  • adjusted existing multiplayer monsters for a few maps so that not all multiplayer monsters are present for all difficulties
  • fixed the Assault Rifle pickup not staying in multiplayer

in one of the next few betas I will re-include the bonus maps, and hopefully add multiplayer monsters to those too, so stay tuned for that. in fact, that's probably the last major thing for me to tackle before a real beta 3 release, outside of some small things here and there like maybe trying to get someone to make an M_DOOM graphic for me ;D

many thanks as usual to everyone that's tested and provided feedback!!