Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tango

Paradise [v2.1 multiplayer release || 10/11/2020]

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/597221809

Extreme Max done in 1:28:23 in a single segment w/out deaths or saves.

I saw Nevanos grind this out on twitch and it looked fun enough to pick up and attempt myself.

The beginning to map 4 was the hardest part for sure, I spent the bulk of my time practicing and splatting to it.

I unashamedly cheesed the encounter with the archviles after you get the yellow key in map 5.

I really liked the gameplay changes, the sped up pace of combat is a refreshing change of pace from vanilla doom 2. Not particularly a fan of cyber nobles though, they share the same problem with the annihilators? from Eviternity in that they don't have a constant walking sound to let you know you're about to get rocketed in the back. Valiant gave their variation a constant sound which was perfect.

well hot damn, nothing like two single-segment max runs out of nowhere this week haha. awesome stuff @Daerik, thanks so much for this :D very much looking forward to watching this whole thing tomorrow. map04's start is indeed a rough one hah. I really need to find a way to make that vile fight uncheesable in map05 though lol

yeah you make a good point about the cyber barons. I tried to compensate by having them "scream" before shooting (though maybe most other cyber noble variants do this too?), but I'll consider adding a walking sound effect, or otherwise making them more obvious.

also, since I had forgotten to post about it earlier and Daerik's run has now reminded me, here's @Nevanos's similar single segment run (D2ALL):

Oh, I didn't realize the scream was a tell for them shooting, might've helped if I turned the awesome music down. Looking at my earlier vods from today and it doesn't seem like there's enough time to react to the scream if they have a clear shot on you. They're placed in places where it's obvious what they're doing so it mostly never felt awful to die to one, though the one near the beginning of map4 killed a few attempts earlier today.

6 minutes ago, Daerik said:

Looking at my earlier vods from today and it doesn't seem like there's enough time to react to the scream if they have a clear shot on you.

ahh fair point. I'll think about at the very least tweaking the timing a bit so there's a bit more time for the player to react to those. thanks again mate :D

Sick stuff Daerik, well played!

Was gonna post a demo if I got the max but since I flew over last secret on MAP03, I thought I'd just keep the run going as I just wanted to see what a first exit looked like. I'll run this again at some point, gonna focus on other maps for now.

How about a 1:10:53 with a demo file recorded on GZDoom 4.3.3 as well.

Daerik_Paradise_11053.zip

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/598051027

I wasn't satisfied with how safe and slow my 1:28:23 was, and neglecting to record a demo file didn't help that feeling. Still a lot of room to push this down further, but I'm complacent with taking a break from doing any more attempts.

I've got a new appreciation for the gameplay changes from trying to play much faster. The subtle mechanic of shooting faster while under 50 health would be interesting to see utilized for an entire run.

ok, version 2.1 is FINALLY here! there are a few more updates I'd like to make in the future, but I figure I ought to put out an "official" v2.1 with what I've got now so any new players get to enjoy the latest Supercharge updates. changelog relative to the 2019 v2 release:

• incorporated the latest Supercharge (v2.6), and also upped Lost Soul hp from 30 to 60
  • added multiplayer items and monsters to the main episode. as mentioned in the OP, the maps are balanced optimally for 1-life survival coop with 2 - 4 players, but more casual coop settings work just as well!
    • the bonus maps are untouched as far as multiplayer goes :( I am considering updating this in the future, but to update and test them all in multiplayer is more work than I'd like to do right now
  • made some minor map tweaks to map01, and some slightly more major tweaks to map03 to hopefully make the map flow better

many thanks again to everyone who has played/tested/streamed either Paradise or Supercharge over the last year and change, I am very grateful for all the feedback :D

I'm new to the WAD scene, this was actually my first WAD I've played, it was really fun! I loved the theme and the music, and map04 and map05 were pretty challenging for me on Tough. Thanks for the fun entry point into WADs!

15 minutes ago, Losermanwins said:

I'm new to the WAD scene, this was actually my first WAD I've played, it was really fun! I loved the theme and the music, and map04 and map05 were pretty challenging for me on Tough. Thanks for the fun entry point into WADs!

I am glad to hear you had a good time, thanks so much for sharing mate :D you have a lot of great content to look forward to!!!

Do you not plan to make a seperate mod that is just the weapons? I really like these weapons and they are a nice change from vanilla weapons when I want to play with something else but not that different. I just love the maps and the whole thing and I just want to play more with the guns.

1 minute ago, gregest said:

Do you not plan to make a seperate mod that is just the weapons? I really like these weapons and they are a nice change from vanilla weapons when I want to play with something else but not that different. I just love the maps and the whole thing and I just want to play more with the guns.

It's already here:

indeed, thanks for linking that Misty! really appreciate it @gregest :D I did just add a note to the OP linking to Supercharge though, so I am glad you asked

1 hour ago, LUIS UAC MARINE said:

help i click to download the mod and it just won´t download

hmm it seems to be working to me. what happens when you try to download exactly? does anything happen? does the download fail?

If you haven't tried this already, try right clicking on it and clicking "Save As".  I don't know if Google Chrome's algorithm for blocking potentially insecure downloads without notifying the user has been tightened significantly in a recent update, but I've been finding that Chrome hasn't let me download quite a few files from Doomworld today unless I right click and go "Save As", including files that it was fine with a little while ago (and Paradise is one of them, I've just checked).  I had no such problems when I tried with Firefox.

19 hours ago, Tango said:

hmm it seems to be working to me. what happens when you try to download exactly? does anything happen? does the download fail?

i click in download and the button does not work

10 hours ago, eLeR Creative said:

Very original architecture. Toxic Tech-Base in the tropical jungle - it looks amazing.

cheers mate, appreciate it very much :D neat to see a different weapons mod in the levels, can't wait to check out all the videos in the playlist!

Oh man! I remember having an absolute blast with this back in 2019, the release with the OG Map05, haha! Loved the unique gameplay twists / additions with the toxic-techbase-in-lush-jungle aesthetic. The shoot 'em up tracks are super dope too! Gave off real MegaDrive / Super Nintendo / NEO-GEO vibes, I felt like I was playing some long lost mid 90s Doom clone!

Managed to wrangle up some mates and smash thru a co-op sesh recently and had even more fun, with the re-balanced areas and enjoyed all the brand new touches too!

Looking to play thru again solo and just wondering is there a way to either extract just the maps and associated resources or just flat out run the set with the latest version of Supercharge? I've tried loading up Paradise 2.1 with Supercharge 2.8 and I get a pesky lil' start-up error. I'm sure there's a super easy fix / explanation but being the absolute PWAD/PK3 spud that I am, I have no idea what that minor tweak would be, hahaha! Any assistance would be much appreciated!

Outside of that I'm looking forward to any future updates to this set, or just a flat out sequel set in much the same vein. Thanks again for all the fun! :)

Screenshot (26).png

@Fabricator you are very kind mate, I really appreciate you sharing :D glad yall had a good time in coop - doom coop with friends is such a great time.

I do wish it was easier to run the set with whatever the latest supercharge is at all times, but I'll have to think on whether there's a better way to do it. I suppose maybe future releases should include a supercharge-less version so you can more easily just drop in the latest supercharge pk3, but I'd have to do some messing about with that. something to experiment with in my next release perhaps!

in any case, after some quick testing, it looks like if you want to use supercharge 2.8 with this, you'll want to do the following:

1. open the supercharge pk3 in Slade, and delete the ZSCRIPT and CVARINFO lumps in the root (might want to make a copy of the pk3 though first just in case)
  2. load the paradise pk3 THEN the supercharge pk3 in gzdoom (loading the other way around will net you another showstopping startup error)

you'll still get stern startup warnings out the wazoo, but at least it runs in a recent version of gzdoom this way. zandro seems to be a no-go with this method, so if you are trying to use zandro or still run into issues otherwise, just let me know and I can sort out some steps (or provide a one-off download) to doctor things a little more meticulously

@Tango a stand-alone map only version of Paradise would be sick, not just for ease of future / vintage SC compatibility, but for other dope gameplay mods too! However I'm sure it's an endeavour that's easier on paper than in actual practice though. Haha!

Cheers so much man for the quick fix I really appreciate it, I managed to get 'em playing nicely together! Had a super quick run thru of Map01 and Map03 earlier on, and outside of the various startup warnings you've already mentioned, I only noticed issues with certain outdoors-y texture flats not displaying (very rare, nothing super eyesore-y, haha) and the small scrap gun ammo packs being able to be picked up, but not contributing to actual ammo stock. EDIT: Looks like this could be an issue with small ammo pickups in general? When I get stuck into it again proper, I'll probably whip up a short list of other bugs / issues I run into, if that helps with anything?

Edited by Fabricator : Discovered bug(s).

@Fabricator huh, really weird that there were some texture glitches! I did another quick test and think I've found a better method of doing things that should hopefully lead to less issues. I played map03 for a few minutes after following these steps, and all seemed ok! so try this (starting from a clean copy of both paradise 2.1 and supercharge 2.8):

1. open the paradise pk3
  2. delete or comment out the entirety of the root DECORATE lump
  3. delete or comment out the entirety of the root ZSCRIPT lump
  4. comment out the entirety of the root CVARINFO (leave the first line with the midi soundtrack cvar)
  5. load the two pk3s together, ensuring that supercharge is loaded last

this method should be much better, as there are no startup errors here. but please do keep me posted if you encounter other issues!

@Tango cheers so much again man, really appreciate all this messin' around, hahaha! :)

I've given it a solid go with this new method you've provided, played the remainder of the set and jumped into some random bonus maps on UV-rando and had absolutely no gameplay issues as far as I could tell! All of the new additions since SC v2.6 (iirc that's the latest version packaged with Paradise?) were showing up and small ammo pickups were workin' fine.

I did notice some graphical glitches involving the health / armour / ammo numbers on the regular split hud, but I think it's just down to the Paradise font having weird offsets? Again, just purely graphical so no real biggie in the grand scheme of things!

Also... remember that aforementioned "spud brain" of mine? I'm pretty certain that the rare texture issues I was having were from me initially running the set after the first edit with DOOM.wad, rather than DOOM2.wad, hahaha!

What is point of the unofficial secret in map32 Portrait of Flames?

It is the area in a north-east part of the map, there are some health bonuses I guess, but I expected some monsters or secret exit.