Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
memes4lyfe

quake 4 goes back to the main menu after selecting "new game"

every time I select new game, I get a loading screen and I get sent back to the previous screen.  how can I fix this? and no. it has nothing to do with drivers. it's never drivers. I would like some advice on how to start the game rather than just "update your drivers cause that works for me and no one else!"

Check your drivers.

Jokes aside, I don't like your attitude, but here's an idea: check your q4base/Quake4Config.cfgQuake4Config.cfg and see if "seta com_videoRam" and "sys_videoRam" aren't set higher than your CG memory.

If it doesn't work check your drivers.

ok. sorry for being so salty, it`s just that I don't really think that the drivers have anything to do with it, that's all.

Well sometimes it's good to follow people's suggestions no matter your beliefs (?) unless they try to sell you snake oil or something.

Anyway, tell us how it goes with tweaking the variables I mentioned.

Have you tried to reinstall it? Try a fresh install and failing that, the steam community boards are normally golden for bugs etc.

That's another idea indeed. If it's a Steam version, it's worth checking file integrity too.

Did you check the in-game console? Maybe it's printing out some error message you don't see without looking at it.

Do you have a sound card or just running your sound from the back of the mobo?

It's highly doubtful that the game is broken. What are your PC stats just out of interest?

I have an acer laptop running windows 10. I have an AMD A6-7310 APU with AMD radeon R4 graphics. (4 CPUs), \2.0GHz

VRAM is 1012, and 8192MB of RAM.

Boris' suggestion is probably your best shot. Launch the game with "+set com_allowconsole 1" and see what the console comes up with after you got kicked back to the main menu.

ok. so the digital version had no problems whatsoever.

I was using a cd version of the game that I patched myself with a new pak003.pk4 file and the latest patch when this happened. now the digital version however did not kick me to the menu.

8 hours ago, memes4lyfe said:

I was using a cd version of the game that I patched myself with a new pak003.pk4 file and the latest patch when this happened

That was like a super important detail to give us outright. We would have given you better methods to troubleshoot the issue.

5 minutes ago, Kira said:

That was like a super important detail to give us outright. We would have given you better methods to troubleshoot the issue.

With a handle like 'memes4lyfe' were you expecting otherwise?

14 hours ago, memes4lyfe said:

ok. so the digital version had no problems whatsoever.

I was using a cd version of the game that I patched myself with a new pak003.pk4 file and the latest patch when this happened. now the digital version however did not kick me to the menu.

>modifies important game file

>"Idk why my game isn't working!"

Details are important my friend! :)

One small tip: these days messing with CD installs of older games on modern OS it's usually asking for trouble, assuming you can even get past the install. If there's a digital version, get that. It's most likely already patched up and ready to play apart from some tweaking.

In rare cases you may or may not need additional patches. For me, I had to use the unofficial patch for Unreal Gold to make it playable even though people say the Steam version is fine.